“If your into looks, you missed out on the deal!!! oct. 13-14” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Seven Oakes Motel

You added Seven Oakes Motel to your Saves list
Seven Oakes Motel
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2331 Princess Street, Kingston, Ontario K7M 3G1, Canada (Waterloo Village)   |
Ranked #15 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ottawa, Canada
“If your into looks, you missed out on the deal!!! oct. 13-14”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

"Never judge a book by its cover." I admit at first i was skeptic when booking this place but i gave it a go. For the review (ignore negative reviews) and try a family run. We arrived and the lady is very nice, things went smoothly. We get to the room. It was not much soundproof room but we slept anyways. The room is good for the price, its away from downtown but near shopping malls and grocery store. If you like decor at the hilton and prefer decor of that standard to choosing a room. You missed out. Even with okay decor, what matter that is you having a goodnight sleep. The bed is comfy and room is very clean. It may not look like high class hotel, i been one and been dissapointed. This motel beats it by a large margin for clean and comfort. I spent $300 per night at a resort and i wish the room were more decent as the one from seven oakes, kingston!!! For good price for comfort, cleanliness and fast wifi. Stay here.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Dundas, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed one night at Seven Oakes Motel since I had a job interview in Kingston the following morning. I'm not a fussy traveller and I normally look for affordability, comfort, security, and cleanliness in hotels/motels.

Pros:
- Friendly service. Although the lady at the front counter was somewhat difficult to understand, she and her husband were very friendly. When I notified them that the wifi was not working in my room, they provided me with an ethernet cable which solved the problem.
- Spacious room. The room I stayed in was fairly large. It had a very comfortable, king-sized bed; a leather couch; a couple of coffee tables; a 32" flat screen TV on a TV stand; a dresser; a bedside table; and a mini-fridge. It also had a "kitchen" sink. It had a private bathroom, which was a bit small, but I had no problem moving around in it.
- High speed internet. I only used it for internet browsing, so it was fast enough for my needs.
- Location. I didn't explore Kingston since I wasn't there for sight-seeing. However, restaurants and other businesses are a short drive away. There is a Freshco supermarket next door that is open till 10pm on weekdays.
- Parking. Plenty of free parking available.

Cons:
- Old. The motel has clearly been around for a while and appears to simply have been maintained and not improved. There are signs of wear everywhere you look, from the slightly visible stains in the carpet to the rusting metallic surfaces anywhere you see metal. The window in the bathroom would not stay up, since the plastic pieces that keep it in place were broken.
My room also appeared to be connected to the room next door at some point in its existence. Instead of walling up the doorway though, they left the door, mounted a wall clothes hanger rack and removed the door handle from the other side. I could open the door, but on the other side would be the other unit's door without a door handle for me to open it with. I think as an extra security feature, they had the couch in my room half blocking the door/clothes rack. Somewhat creepy.
- Superficially clean. Although at first sight it appeared to be clean, after noticing the condition of the room in general, I decided to look closer and I began to see some problems. Although I never used the air conditioner because it was chilly that day, I noticed the vent had a very thick layer of dust on it and some spider webs.
The towels and linens were white so thankfully you could see that those were clean, but when I looked at the actual pillows they had yellow stains (which I understand are from sweat). I don't know if they are not washing the pillows or are not using a proper cleaning technique to remove the stains, but needless to say I did not put my head on those pillows. The bedsheets were covered by a fuzzy, green blanket which had clearly seen a lot of use since small holes were starting to show. I decided to sleep on top of the comforter, which looked clean on the outside.
Since the room got a little chilly, I turned up the thermostat. After a while, I smelled something burning. At first I thought it was someone cooking something, but my windows were closed. That's when I realized that the heater was burning dust or whatever was inside it.

No comment:
- Amenities. There were several amenities I did not make use of so I can't comment. I'm sure for a lot of people this would add value to their stay. The pool was closed since it was out of season. There were were two basketball nets and a fenced in tennis court. I don't watch TV, so I never used it. I don't know what quality the picture is or how many channels it catches. But just so you know, all these things are available.

Although, this was the cheapest of the higher rated hotels/motels in Kingston on this site, I would most likely stay elsewhere if I were to ever spend a night or two in Kingston again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went there with my wife and my four year old daughter. I booked over phone and the room was ready when we reached late on Friday. I was welcomed with a smile. The room was clean, though can be better if is properly maintained, but at this price, this is excellent value for money. Next morning, the owner gave a coupon and made a phone call (can you believe) to get me a discount in 1000 island cruise. I really liked staying there, will do again if I again come to Kingston.....

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Amherstburg, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

very clean, very comfortable, fresh smelling, good size room comfortable chair and couch. was late in season so pool was closed but looked nice. very friendly owners. overall stay was very good would recommend to anyone staying in that area.

Room Tip: have only stayed there once but the king size bed was very comfortable, i liked the old style one le...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Milton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly and accommodating. They didn't have a kettle in the room, but when asked, the staff was happy to heat up water for us, so we were able to have tea, etc. It's a family owned/operated motel with some great service and very warm/friendly atmosphere where they're willing to go out of their way to make you feel happy, you just have to ask.

They were very clean rooms. Even the area under the beds was spotless, which usually tends to be dusty at the very least, this was a pleasant surprise and indicates how clean everything else was. Things were old, yes, but the cleanliness is what makes all the difference.

The swimming pool area was great, and very unique. There's an area that's very shallow that has a slide as well, and it's great for kids. Separated from that area is a very deep part which is great for diving and adults to do some real swimming in. Our family took over the area and had a very memorable morning there. Add to this the little playground and my kids (4,2,1) had the time of their lives.

For the price that was paid, and the swimming facility/kids play area, the place was amazing. Value at this place is really quite something.

We had 4 rooms booked for 2 nights for a family trip and really all enjoyed our trip, including a memorable morning at the pool area.

There's free WiFi in this motel, and for the brief amount of time that I used it with my laptop I got a really good speed and strong connection, which was really nice to see considering that some high cost hotels charge you for internet and still don't have good speeds.

Rooms are dated, but well equipped with LCD, cable television, refrigerator, etc. The rooms are also extremely large. Following this trip I went to Quebec City where the room cost me double the rate but was actually smaller. There are two buildings for this motel, the one closer to the front (smaller numbers, I believe <30) are smaller rooms that cost less. The rooms further away (number 30+) are much larger and can accommodate larger families like my own. Adding Microwave/Kettle to the rooms would make this place an amazing value for our money.

Room Tip: Room 42 where I stayed had great wifi and was very large. Rooms on the southern side are larger, bu...
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

We received a very warm welcome when we arrived. The proprietor said "I have a nice big room for your dog". Very pet friendly! The kids enjoyed the free Wi-Fi - it seemed to be extremely fast. The pool was clean and refreshing. Nice location - good for water visits and food options nearby. A great place to stay in Kingston.

Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Our very large family stayed for 2 nights. {dad,mom,and 8 kids} They were very friendly, rooms were very large and clean, the kids loved the pool. They accommedated every need. They welcomed my very large family were most shy away from us. Beds were comfortable, tv was great,wifi worked great. Awesome pricing for how many we had. We read reviews before booking and brought a kettle and small microwave. Can't wait to go again next year.

Room Tip: We brought our own microwave and kettle. But knew with the amount of kids we had we could not go wit...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Seven Oakes Motel? Share your experiences!