“Awful” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Whistler, British Columbia, Canada
“Awful”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2014 via mobile

The rooms, despite having new sheets, are filled with blood stains, burns, and other individuals hairs... The bathroom is just horrifying. The staff is nice but no concept of time. 8am is too early to be coming into the room to clean. The walls are paper thin and you can hear everything. Awful awful place. Would spend the extra few bucks and stay anywhere else..

• Stayed April 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

Stayed here early in October. It wasn't reserved-just a drop in.
Anyhow, the lights outside the motel rooms weren't working or weren't turned on. Try unloading in the pitch dark.It was around 7:30 but dark at this time of the year.
The woman working at the front desk said it was a quiet place. However, there seemed to be a lot of action between the rooms.
Unloaded the car and saw a few questionable items-such as duct tape on the fridge.The bathroom(shower) taps were reversed-cold was hot and vice versa.
Later, in bed I saw a white/beigy insect and then another. Had my laptop on and a little black insect went across the screen.
The guy next door came in around 11:00-11:30 and had the TV extremely loud . I was trying to ignore it but found it hard to concentrate on my reading. Then the noise stopped at 12:15. I thought good I can get some sleep . Wrong, it was quiet for fifteen minutes-he must have gone to another room. It started up again at 12:30 and continued until 2:00. At one point I went outside to make sure the noise was coming from his room. Went back in and called his room. He denied that he had the TV on. I went outside the room again and heard it-but, I wasn't going to call again. Finally(as I said) silence at 2:00.
The next day complained at the front about the insects/bugs and the noise. Got the response-no one else has ever complained before!!!! Right. No wonder this place has lost it's CAA/AAA affiliation. It was a crappy motel room. The motel seems to serve a transient population.I could say more negative things but I think that I have made my point(s).

Room Tip: Watch out for a motel that too cheap to have outside lights turned on. Also, watch out if the CAA/A...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

A group of us stayed here July 16th to the 24th while we were in Kingston for a fishing tournament. This motel is perfectly set up for fisherman and the owners were awesome, even when a couple of the guyz locked themselves out of their rooms at 5:30am, she got up and got them in their rooms. Rooms were very clean and the cleaning staff tidied up every day for us. Excellent location with everything you need close by. We will definitely be back here next year for the 2012 Kingston Open!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Belleville, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

We reserved a room in this motel because it was close to Costco and it was only for one night. The price was quite low, and the staff at the front desk were extremely cheerful and helpful. However this place needs either a massive renovation, or the services of a bulldozer. The piece of land is huge and very nice, so I imagine very valuable in a rising market. Sadly, the rooms were just plain worn out! Wrinkled stained carpets that make you want to avoid bare feet, scars and missing paint from the woodwork, old and maybe mal-functioning air conditioner, and so on. Certainly we would never stay at this place again, at any price. I repeat, the only good thing was the front desk employee.

Room Tip: Stay away
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

I was taking my son to university and needed a place to stay for a couple of nights. We were looking for a decent place, but did not want to pay too much. After checking out a few of the surrounding motels, we settled on this one because it definitely offered the nicest and cleanest rooms, while also being a good value. I'm not too sure about the other reviews, because we found the place to be very pleasant and would stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Liked — Great Value
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
woodstock,ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2008

As soon as I entered the lobby I knew it would be awful!!! The musty dirty smell was terrible. I had no choice but to stay here, as there was a big soccer tournament in town, and all the other hotels and motels were full. I paid $99.00 a night for this inhospital place. The rooms were filthy, dirty carpets, dirty walls, broken fridges, dust everywhere and the bathrooms were disgusting, and disgusting in an under statement. The bath was filthy, the tiles were black with mould and the towels were torn and ratty. The TV didnt work and we got a wake-up call at 6am without asking for one. I would never ever recommend this motel

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
JoeybB, Co Manager at Thriftlodge Motel Kingston West, responded to this review, August 19, 2008
Yes, our City had every hotel and motel filled to capacity on this soccer weekend.
We always try our best to place our guests where we feel they would be comfortable, unfortunatley, these guests were placed between 2 soccer families. Sometimes when you mix tourist and sports teams together there are some problems. Our motel doesn't tolerate gatherings after 11:00pm. We do allow afternoon and early evening socializing. We do regret our error in judgement on this occasion

In our 2 years in this position we have never had a complaint about a musty smell in our front office or the fact that the office was not clean. Our main focus, since our takeover has been ensuring clean room, reasonable rates, personal and friendley service.,
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2004

Stayed here and it was OK at best. The room was clean but very much in need of renovation. Showed up without a reservation on a last minute trip and was given a rate or $79, asked if they had a CAA rate (I knew they were not affiliated but thought it was worth a try) and they gave me 10% off but that was still too high. Would look elsewhere next time.

Been to Thriftlodge Motel Kingston West? Share your experiences!