“OK place to rest your head.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Kingston Motel East

Save Saved
You added Kingston Motel East to your Saves list
Kingston Motel East
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1488 Highway 15, Kingston, Ontario K7L 5M6, Canada (Formerly Thriftlodge)   |
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Kingston
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“OK place to rest your head.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My son and I stayed here for one night as we needed to be at a nearby marina early the following morning for a SCUBA diving excursion. We stayed in a room with two double beds and a small kitchenette. The place was perfectly adequate to rest your head for a night, though the bedding and furnishings were quite well worn. Not the Ritz, but I'll probably stay again the next time I'm looking for a clean, quiet, budget hotel in the Kingston area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We decided to start our drive back to Toronto from Cornwall through New York.
After doing some sight-seeing and shopping in the States, we decided to enter back into Canada near Gananoque and continue along the 401. Being Canada Day and starting to feel our day tripping we decided to stop in Kingston to see the fireworks and spend the night.
By the downtown Kingston harbor waterfront where the fireworks were being displayed we found a large chain hotel – the last room (of course) at 9 pm was $249.99 for 2 persons for one night! I didn’t ask about taxes or parking!
We drove back to find the motel that we had passed on Highway 15 just after we got off the 401 to go south to Kingston.
We saw the sign for Kingston Motel East and pulled in. The gentleman on the front desk was the owner. He said the rooms were not updated and modern but they were clean. He gladly allowed us to check the room first and he was right - and so was the price!
We were not there long enough to use it but the room also had a small kitchenette area with a fridge, 2-burner hot plate, a sink and counter space. There was an outdoor pool at the front of the motel but we did not have swim suits with us.
The taxi that the owner called for us was very prompt and got us down to the downtown harbor (about 10 minute drive) to see the fireworks with time to spare.
(Both taxi drivers to and from the fireworks were very friendly.)
We enjoyed the fireworks then stopped for a beer at an outdoor patio by the harbor.
Even with the jug of draft that we enjoyed on the patio at the bar by the harbor and taxi rides to the fireworks and back to the motel it was still A LOT cheaper than the large chain motel. It also was quieter, closer to the 401 and our vehicle was right outside the door (no lugging stuff up to our room at 9:15 pm from a parking lot across the street through crowds of people). We would stay at the Kingston Motel East again before we would stay at the large downtown chain hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed here overnight to attend a wedding and a function the following morning. Clean ordinary room. All was well until I tried to shower the next morning and discovered a broken shower head. Wife of owner told him the shower wouldn't stay on although I never gave any details. Owner told me " Things happen and it's just a minor inconvenience. You can still take a tub bath." I was tired , hungry and longing for my morning shower. When I suggested I should be compensated for said inconvenience he became angry and defensive. When I pushed the matter he angrily threw $20.00 at me with some harsh words. There seemed to be other vacancies that I could have stayed in .I found this quite unsettling. Later my nephew who works at the army base asked about recommending the motel to other out of town visitors .I said no I would not.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Oswego, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Decided to escape Harborfest in Oswego, Ny and go to Kingston, Ontario. Took the car ferry from Cape Vincent, Ny to Wolf Island, Ontario then another car ferry to Kingston. This is very fun and the ferry from Wolf Island to Kingston is free. It lands in downtown Kingston after about a 20 sail. The staff at this mom & pops style motel is very cordial while the rooms are small but very clean. There is a refrigerator and a microwave but no coffee maker. Also there is not a breakfast. Both a McDonald's and a Tim Horton's are about a 5 minute drive away. Downtown is about a 10 minute drive and as far as parking goes, I would suggest the parking garage at the corner of Brock and Wellington Streets. Here the cost of parking is as cheap as anywhere in the city. The first hour is free and each additional hour is one dollar. One word of caution though, be sure you have $2 and $1 Canadian coins available because if an attendant is not there to collect the money owed, you must insert the coins at the egress gate to be allowed out of the garage. We were there just shy of 6 hours and the attendant had gone for the night so we paid only the $3. This means that if you take one of the boat tours in the area, you can easily park and walk the two blocks to the boats. If you stay in the area is a short one, then plenty of pay to park meters are everywhere. Back to the motel. If you stay intown Kingston, you might pay as much as $250. If you want to be within 10 minutes by car, and not mortgage your home, I would recommend trying this motel. There really is nothing objectionable about it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2011

This is now called the Kingston Motel East and has a new husband/wife managing it. We stopped by to check out some rooms and viewed a very clean, nicely maintained, fresh smelling room with two queen size beds. I was very pleased to find it exactly as I expected it to be.. .clean and pleasant. The bathtub sparkled, the toilet was clean, the door locks worked perfectly, the room was a nice size. The price was just a touch on the high side but then I really could not find anything to complain about... so in conclusion I have put this on my list of places I will stay next time I drive through Kingston.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

We stayed there for one night and pleased. it was only 89$, great king sized bed, comfortable mattress, clean sheets. Our room was not yet renovated (other rooms have had the carpet changed and was freshly painted) but the furnishings were new. Friendly staff, clean pool and there was a park for family with kids. Came with 2 fridges, stove and microwave, a bit outdated but very clean.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

I stayed 3 nights here, and I'd have to say it's an ok place to rest you head, but that's it.

The owner or staff or who ever it was, was a bit of a jerk.

We killed two large bugs in our room, possibly cockroaches. I was all I could do to keep my wife from leaving. Any way we left the carcasses there, and they wern't removed the next day. When I asked the front desk what we could do about it, I told told I could be checked out. When I asked about a price break, I was told, "We don't do that".

Motel is now know as the Kingston Motel East.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Kingston Motel East? Share your experiences!