“Location, Service, Comfort” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn

and 1 more site!
You added Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   73 Sydenham Street South, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3H3, Canada   |
Offers & Announcements
May Deal! Rooms @ 15% off
Ranked #5 of 24 Kingston B&B and Inns
Campbellford, Canada
“Location, Service, Comfort”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

You can't beat the Secret Garden's location, seemingly two blocks from just about anything you could want to do or see in downtown Kingston. Our host was friendly and attentive, greeting us with a very welcome pot of hot tea. Our room was comfortable, with a simple but effective gas fireplace to warm us on a chilly evening. Breakfast the next morning was nice, with more than enough to eat. We enjoyed our stay here and will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
kathyd488, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thank you for your kind words and I am glad the location suited you. "Park and walk" weekends are the best! Hope to see you again soon... Kathy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Recently had another wonderful stay at this Inn while in town for work. The house was remarkably clean, beds comfortable and breakfast delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed being able to escape the chilly fall weather by having a hot glass of tea and homemade cookies in the parlour, after a long day at the hospital. Thank you ladies, I look forward to visiting again.

Room Tip: The Turret room on the third floor offers a wonderful view, with lots of natural light, fireplace, a...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
So glad you enjoyed this stay and it was lovely to see you again. I hope you get back before Christmas to see our decorations and share in the festive sprit of the Inn. Cheers!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Secret Garden. I loved the central location in Kingston, the lovely old house with amazing woodworking details and stained glass windows. Staff were very friendly. They were very accommodating in letting me leave my luggage at the hotel before and after check in and out times.The breakfasts were delicious and the home-made cookies on Sunday were scrumptious. The gas fireplace in my room was a very nice cozy touch for the grey November days I was there.

Not everything was perfect about my experience, however. I was told on the phone that I could book the Victoria Rose, but then I got an email a week later saying I was in Angel's Watch. I was a bit disappointed to not get the four poster bed and the claw foot tub. Also, luckily I noticed that she had made an error on the price, forgetting to give me the discount for a single person.

Just a few details need attention in the Angel's Watch room. There were chips on the veneer of the TV stand and some broken handles on a chest of drawers. The tiny TV was impossible for me to turn on, even following the four-step procedure on the written instructions by the TV. I guess I should have asked for help, but it wasn't that important for me to watch TV.

Overall, I'd recommend the Secret Garden, but would try another room next time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your nice words about my staff, who are wonderful and always helpful and welcoming! If you had pointed out the problem with the TV it would have been addressed immediately.
I am sorry you did not get your room of first choice but glad you enjoyed beautiful Angels Watch with it's sleigh bed and gas fireplace...
I would like to note that the TV stand you mention is an antique sewing machine table, part of a collection at the Inn and, as such, has earned it's small bruises. That said, I apologize for the broken handle on the antique chest of drawers. We are currently looking for an appropriate replacement.
Best, Kathy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My husband and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary and wanted it to be special. We had never stayed in a Bed &Breakfast before so we were a little apprehensive about trying one for our special weekend. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted by the inn.The home is beautiful and tastefully decorated. We stayed in the Victorian room and slept like babies. I will most certainly stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for choosing the Secret Garden for your special occasion. We love to help celebrate by providing a welcoming, comfy and calm venue close to everything you need... I hope you do come again!
Ajax, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I would like to begin by thanking Kathy and Shirley for being so welcoming and friendly. The house was absolutely beautiful, cozy and clean. The breakfasts were superb with the choice of 8:00 or 9:00 am sittings and afternoon tea was such a nice touch after sight seeing all day. I was actually more relaxed after two nights at Secret Garden then I was when I returned from Cuba in April. Everything was also in walking distance, downtown, Queens University and both hospitals.

You don't have to leave Ontario to have a wonderful holiday. I will definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
kathyd488, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, August 30, 2013
Thanks for your kind words. We all appreciate it. It was great to see you enjoying the porch swing... definitely a relaxing spot. I look forward to seeing you both again.
Oshawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

We just spent one night at this lovely B&B this past weekend and it was definitely not long enough. It is ideally located for walking into Kingston's downtown, which we did, but I would have been happy to remain on the large front porch, swinging on the porch swing for the entire stay. The rooms were delightful, we stayed in Angel's Watch and had absolutely no complaints. The beds and the pillows were the kind that make you want to stay in bed. Breakfast was wonderful. Compliments to Cathy for her baked fresh peach pancakes and her willingness to hand over the recipe. Cathy is a delightful hostess, who was open to all questions and requests. We were thrilled to hear some of the stories about the inn and it's past and present intermingling. We will definitely return!!! Thank you Cathy!!!!!

Room Tip: Any room would be a delight I am sure.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
You are so welcome and thank you for your comments. It's always nice to be appreciated! Do come again...
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

We came to Kingston at the most inconvenient time ( summer, lots of events going on in town... hotels were busy) We did not have a reservation anywhere, so we drove around and checked 6 places. Each had one room left at a price from 150 to 275 dollars per night.

Place #7 was the Secret Garden B&B. There was one last room left. We were completely charmed by interior, exterior and the hostess ( Cathy) . Price was $149, breakfast included.

Our room ( Angel's watch ) was small, but we only came there to sleep. It was clean, nice, there were magazines to read, all necessities in the bathroom.

The house inside was so nicely decorated, and outside you could sit a read a book by the running water by the a pond.

Breakfast was tasty, nice, almost fancy, a bit small, but coffee was never-ending and we were fine. Good company of other travelers made it very interesting. In the afternoon, tea, coffee and cookies were waiting for us,

We will definitely come back. This is an experience; and for the price less than that of chain hotel with cookie-cutter interiors.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
I'm glad the 7th stop was the one! As I recall it was a beautiful evening, perfect for our porch and koi pond sitting. There are many reasons to return to Kingston... hope to see you again!

Been to Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!