“Great time in Kingston” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kingston
Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn
You added Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn to your Saves list
73 Sydenham Street, Kingston, Ontario K7L 3H3, Canada   |
Ranked #7 of 26 Kingston B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Great time in Kingston”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

My girlfriend is at Queen's and I decided to surprise her by coming in from Vancouver for the remembrance day weekend. It was a lovely stay! Both mornings were very pleasant with wonderful breakfasts and wonderful people, but also we felt like we had a lot of privacy when we wanted it (a problem with some bed and breakfasts that we've stayed in). We stayed in Teresa's room and wow, it was absolutely stunning. The Victorian style art an furniture were elegant, and THE BED. Oh man. The bed was probably the most comfortable either of us has ever slept in. It's so big that they provide a stool to help you get up on top of it.

Can't say enough about this place. Just a great stay and we'll be heading back this time next year!

Room Tip: Teresa's room, hands down.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

We stayed at the Secret Garden in August 2011 and had a fantastic experience. Gary and Warren are exceptional hosts and absolutely nothing was too much trouble for them, their aim was to make our stay perfect - which it was. We met two other couples who had been going there for 10 years, which says it all. Any negative comments are false, it really is the place to stay and only a short walk to the town.

Belinda and Paul, Wales

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
morkx1, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Wow, you put a smile back on our faces. Thank you for your kind words, it was a treat to host you both, and to think we could have ended up neighbours in Wales ! Hopefully our paths will cross again. Gary, Warren & Mork & Mindy
Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights and had a wonderful time. Warren and Gary were very welcoming and helpful with suggestions of how to get to places to see, where to eat etc. We had a 4 poster bed with curtains all around - wonderfully romantic. Big sash windows looking over the street, very quiet so slept very well, comfortable wing chairs to sit in front of the fire or watche TV. We met some really interesting other guests at breakfast. The breakfasts were amazing, although perhaps a little exotic for my tastes, but I was on holiday so what the heck.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
morkx1, Owner at Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to express your satisfaction with your stay at our B&B and our home ! It is always a pleasure to boast about our Historic City of Kingston and offer suggestions for what to see and do and Kingston has no shortage of exceptional dining experiences. Of course being on vacation you try to do things you would not normally do at home, including indulging in "exotic breakfasts". Thank you of staying with us and Mork & Mindy say woof woof !
Lindsay, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

The owners, Warren and Gary, added over $130 to our room bill on alleged damage to our room. Some water had leaked out of our cooler and we immediately pulled back the area rug and underlay and asked them for a fan to dry it out. They removed us from the room and put us in a tiny room . They claimed the next day that they had to hire professionals to dry the carpet and then added that our bill. There was absolutely no damage to the floor or to the carpet and professional help was completely unnecessary. They would not negotiate anything with us and they were rude and insulting to us. We did not need to be moved out of our room and certainly did not request it. They did not tell us until we were checking out that they would be charging us extra for this. They did not even consider any reduction for our inconvenience in being moved to a tiny room on the 3rd floor. They do not know anything about customer service.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
To all our Valued Guests,
In order to ensure the integrity and eliminating any potential long term damage, water leakage is addressed as soon as we are made aware of it The guest cooler in question leaked melted ice water due to valve/tap being left open from 4 pm until 11:30AM the next morning, and we immediately took steps to mediate damage. After our attempts to clean with in home equipment, a carpet cleaning company was called in on a weekend and charged the $135.00

Damage casused by guests is their responsibility.

We regret the guests interpretation, for we did not want them to remain in a
guest room that the carpet was lifted back and that a commercial air dryer was in.

We offered and moved the guest to our only other guest room available, for their comfort, which has a queen bed, seating for 4, gas fireplace and a private ensuite washroom.

We honour all past and future guests by offering the finest in hospitality in a registered historic home, and would never for a moment not address any damage as a matter of urgency in order to retain our 4 1/2 star rating.

We would like to thank two of the sisters in the group who were the only ones who offered an apology, and who understood the remedial steps that were required and undertaken.

Sincerely, Gary and Warren
Stockbridge, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

The Inn is in a residential area, walking distance (short) to wonderful restaurants and attractions. The breakfasts were outstanding. We were there 4 days and did not have a duplicate breakfast. The room (Serenity) was cozy, had a queen bed, sitting area, en-suite bathroom with a shower, and electric fire place. There was coffee, tea and sweets laid out each afternoon for snacks, and in the morning Coffee and tea was available at 7AM for the early risers. Our hosts, Gary and Warren were quite friendly and attentive. They were always available if you needed them.

Room Tip: I peaked in all of the rooms and they were equally as nice, if not nicer and a little larger. Howeve...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

At the end of my short trip to Ontario, Canada, I stayed the night in this BnB. A self-declared gem in Kingston, on the east end of Lake Ontario, and a gem it is. The BnB occupies all of a beautiful Victorian townhouse, the owners living i what from the outside looks like the attached garage portion of the house. No pity with the owners though: I would be surprised if they had not decorated their living quarters as lavishly as they have the guest part of the house. The interior of the townhouse has been decorated strictly, even to the extreme, in the Victorian style that befits the house. Very impressive, very well done and maintained. Had it been a museum I could even have visited it. But now, would I want to live in it?

In my opinion my home is there for me to enjoy. As a rule, my home adapts itself (or is adapted) to my lifestyle, to my way of living. In a museum or a museum-like home this is different. There, out of respect for what the museum and its treasures represent, I should make concessions and adapt myself. With the consequence that, no matter how much I admire the place, I cannot make myself feel really at home.

In a place like this I am inclined, therefore, to look at the small but inevitable imperfections. In fact I only came across two. The carpet in my room was ratheir stained, something which at first seemed due to its structure, but upon closer inspection appeared rather annoying stains near the bathroom section. Rather out of harmony with the otherwise spotlessly clean guesthouse. The other imperfection is the price. All inclused (even sales tax, which in Canada often is not quoted in or with the price) I payed Can $ 188 for one night, which is hefty for a place like this. In a town like this ...

Good that for these $ 188 I got some much appreciated bests. One of the best (if not THE best) guesthouse beds I have ever enjoyed. Very comfortable mattress, plenty of pillows in enough different shapes, sizes and grades of softness to make it oneself totally comfortable. And (wish I found that more often) with exactly the right choice of bedcovers, again allowing one to choose exactly the individually preferred weight and (cold or warm) temperature coverage.

This BnB is seemingly renowned for its breakfast. My high expectations were totally satisfied. A superb breakfast was served, with a well balanced set of components, and ample refills upon request. In general I found breakfasts in Canadian BnB's of a higher and more refined standard, incorporating a more imaginative view on the meal, than their European counterparts.

While writing this, I has come to my mind whay, despite all the objective praise for the place, I was not completely satisfied after all. What I missed was true emotion, I missed the soul of the place. Owners that were friendly, with some cosmetic dimension attached. Decorations that were impressive, giving me the feeling of restricted movement and making me to look for imperfections. Only the breakfast and the quality of the bed really convinced me: they were of outstanding quality. But that is what I wanted: an outstanding bed & breakfast, that is what I got. With a lot of impressive and to some extent cosmetic extra's ...

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Pickering, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Dear Warren and Gary,

Thank you so much for giving me my best stay ever in Kingston. The vibe of your B&B is simply awesome, and the amenities were relaxing and almost other-worldly. The eggs ben started my day off perfectly - so posh! I have not seen value such as this in so long - you saved my company's budget a packet.

You guys are just wonderful, thank you so much. See you next month, say hi to Mork and Mindy for me!

Warmest wishes,

Lisa G

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked awesome, but I had the pleasure of staying in Serenity.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Secret Garden Bed & Breakfast Inn? Share your experiences!