“A real pleasant stay.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Kingston

Save Saved
You added Howard Johnson Inn Kingston to your Saves list
Howard Johnson Inn Kingston
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   686 Princess Street, Kingston, Ontario L7L 1E7, Canada (Downtown Kingston)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
Stay 3+ Nights, Save 20%
Ranked #15 of 36 hotels in Kingston
Tillsonburg, Canada
“A real pleasant stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We just had a real pleasant stay at the Howard Johnson Inn in Kingston. The receptionist Lisa was very helpful and a pleasure to meet even though she could not provide us with and Ocean View Room. LOL

The rooms were clean and the beds comfortable and there plenty of towels. The pool was not that big and it was not heated but when the temperature was 34 Celsius it felled really nice. So I got to use it a couple of times.

The room also included a continental breakfast and that was actually really good. There was plenty of bread and English muffins to select from plus 3 different kinds of cereals including Raison Bran.
And for the speciality there was also a waffle maker that was really busy at times but it was worth the wait as you could make your own waffle and enjoy a hot breakfast. Included as well was orange juice and yogurt as well as some fruit.

There was also a bar (The Sly Fox) attached to the lobby that was not part of the hotel chain. I found that out when I could not charge a drink to the room. It was also the only place where you could get ice for your drinks. The lady bartender was very nice but I never did get her name.

Thank you Howard Johnson Inn for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

210 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Richmond Hill, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

My family stayed there last week and I got a really good deal ($65 for 2 nights). The package included continental breakfast for 4. It was in a run down part of town and they were doing construction on the street (on the last day they started the jack hammer at 7:30 a.m.). I would recommend this hotel if they pay what I paid. The exterior looks shabby and I was having doubts when I entered the reception area. I forgot to bring my voucher and they needed it printed and directed me to a printing place a few blocks down. I asked if I could use their printer and she said no. This was not a pleasant start. I had it printed at a UPS and I told her I got it printed for $0.28 and she came back, 'oh the place I told you about would do it for free'. How I wanted to tell her I would have given her $1 if she let me print it at the front desk instead of driving down to UPS with the whole family.
The room was standard size. Not big but it did have a fridge (with a tiny freezer), small microwave, 2 sinks (I really liked that), iron and ironing board, a Sony clock radio with iPod/iPhone dock (impressive!) and new towels (they must be reading the comments on the site). I have to agree that the a/c unit was quite loud but at least it had a/c. The carpet had some stains but the room didn't smell. The LCD TV was nice. The bathroom was a bit small and it didn't have counter space (which is why we used the sink outside). The place looks newly renovated but the renovator missed the finishing touches (for example the toilet wasn't bolted down and the ceiling paint/plaster wasn't sanded down).
The breakfast area was clean and they offered yogurt, english muffin, white and brown bread, make your own waffles, cereal, orange and apple juice, coffee, tea and for fresh fruits they had apples and oranges. The place was clean and tidy.
I thought I got wonderful value for the amount I paid. We were able to walk to the downtown area with our 3 kids (all under 8) and the room was clean.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

Stayed here what was supposed to be for 2 nights but checked out after 1 night. Run down hotel with outdated rooms, uncomfortable beds, cheap towels, smelly old carpets in the room and the worse of all A/C units that sounded like rumbling prop engines.

We checked out after 1 night - couldn't take another nights stay on this property.

Reception area was completely run down, old and unprofessional staff at the counter.

Room Tip: Rooms and hotel is completely run down. A/C units are so loud in the room that you can't sleep.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012 via mobile

My husband was amazed at he rate I got for this hotel and even that I'd have chosen it but you have to cut costs somewhere on a trip like ours.

We were both really impressed by the staff who were friendly and helpful. The room was a good size and although there were some stains on the floor where someone has dripped drinks other than this we were pleased with the cleanliness of the room. I did think the bed sheets could have done with being ironed and the towels were beginning to wear.

We walked into and back from the town and didn't have any issues with the area, it is just within walking distance of the town.

I would recommend this hotel as a good low budget option.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the HoJo in Kingston. We were on a budget, and they had the best rate considering the hotel's proximity to the lovely waterfront area of town. The location of the HoJo is not great - I wouldn't want to walk around by myself at night - but it's within walking distance to the nicer part of Kingston close to the waterfront.

The HoJo delivered on its end: affordable price, clean rooms, accommodating and helpful staff, ample parking, and an awesome continental breakfast included in the price of the room.

Breakfast: great assortment of carbs (healthy and sugary cereals with milk, lots of bread, english muffins, toaster, jams and spreads, and make-your-own waffles with syrup and chocolate toppings) Coffee, tea, and herbal tea selection. Apple and orange juice. Only thing missing was some sort of fruit. Very nice morning spent in the breakfast area of the lobby.

Room: clean, large. Has air conditioner unit instead of actual air conditioning, which ended up being too loud to sleep with on. The room had a bathroom with a sink, and an additional sink outside the bathroom, which I really appreciated. Rooms come with flatscreen wall-mounted TVs, ironing boards, hair dryers, coffee maker, everything else you'd expect from a HoJo. Some rooms had ipod dock clocks. The furnishings were modern - really nice.

The reason my sleep wasn't that great is because of a) the air conditioner unit being too loud, and b) I'm picky about pillows and theirs are quite big and fluffy. I should have anticipated and brought my own.

The "pool" that was advertised on the site was more like a splash pad, and was filled with kids anytime we wanted to use it.

Staff was great. Helped us decide what sites to see, provided us with maps, suggestions, reading materials, and seemed genuinely interested in helping us out.

All in all, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

Just spent 2 nights here.
The room seemed clean enough, but dropped a top down back of the dresser and there was so much dust I could not posibly wear it before washing again. Then the empty beer bottles linsed up... I was in room 112. The fridge took at least 8hrs to become cool, had to put drinks in freezer to cool down. The AC literally only kept the bed rool, they were small window units that were very loud and if you wer not sitting on the bed you were sweating. They had a pool a VERY SMALL pool. but it was clean and had a few lawn chairs to laze in the sun & keep cool if you wanted. We stayed here as we bought a coupon for 2 nights @ $69.00. But would not stay again even for the cheap price....

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here in June 2012 for two nights . The rooms were plenty big enough for four with very comfortable beds , large bathroom and the continental breakfast was also very good . The hotel / motel has recently been refurbished so it was very good.The staff were very pleasant , helpful and knowledgable about the surrounding area.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Kingston? Share your experiences!