“I was very disappointed in my last stay here.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN Fireside Inn

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN Fireside Inn to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN Fireside Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1217 Princess Street, Kingston, Ontario K7M 3EI, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #2 of 36 hotels in Kingston
Brockville, Canada
“I was very disappointed in my last stay here.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

My husband and I have stayed here on several occasions and have always enjoyed it. We have stayed in the regular rooms, whirlpool room and even a fantasy suite. And have always loved it. However our last stay in August was very disappointing. This was a regular fireplace suite. When we first entered the room it had a bad smell to it. I finally pinpointed it to the bed. (Kind of the smell if you leave your clothes in the washer to long before drying). We were late arriving so we showered to head out to supper. I quickly stopped by the desk and mentioned the smell and asked if the sheets could be changed while we were out. I was told this wasn't possible because the maid was gone for the day. I then asked if we could get any towels for the morning since ours were used to get ready for that night. She said ok. When we got back to our room the towels were left by the door. I was surprised that the other used towels were still left in the bathtub. The next morning we got up to start fresh. When we got downstairs for the buffet there was a half an hour left but was hardly any food. Eggs were refilled but sausage and potatoes weren't. Not to mention there wasn't any bacon. Empty tables were covered with dirty plates still. We sat at one and had to wait a few minutes before a waitress made her way to us. I was pleased that when we returned back to our room early afternoon the smell was gone and the old towels were taken out. We then decided to relax by the pool. We were out there for two hours and only saw the waitress twice and both times she went to other side of pool to talk to someone and then went right back in never making her way to our side. The following morning breakfast food was no better. Althought I must say the service was better. There were clean tables this time and there was a gentlemen there who did refill the food even if I did have to wait a bit. I even had to ask for them to refill the orange juice container. But he was very friendly and accommodating. That evening we were taking a taxi downtown for dinner. We stopped by reception and I asked the lady to call a taxi. She did but wasn't friendly about it at all. When we checked out I was prepared to tell the reception how disappointed I was but she didn't even ask how my stay was and quickly dismissed me. I felt maybe she had something pressing to do so figure I would email my disappointment. However I could not find a contact email on their site and saw this instead and so I choose to voice my concerns here. As mentioned before I have stayed here before and have loved it. It was a long time ago but I figured it would remain the same. I was told when checking in that they had just upgraded the rooms and it did look that way and I was told they would be upgrading the A/C as well. The location is good. Close to 401 and midway between downtown resturants and uptown block stores. Maybe it was just a one time fluke but I can't see myself returning.

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
London, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Fireside Inn several times and will continue to do so especially because of the first rate service and comfortable accommodation. On our most recent trip, we had just moved our daughter back to Kingston following the passing of my mother in law. It had been a hectic week both emotionally and physically. I had booked our room on the internet and was looking forward to going to Tom's Place for dinner (excellent food and service). Upon check in, to our surprise, she told us that the manager is giving us a complementary upgrade... to a "Fantasy Suite". We couldn't believe our good fortune! We decided on the Renaissance Suite and needless to say, enjoyed our time immensely! Thank you Best Western Plus Fireside Inn... we will definitely be back again!

Room Tip: We have stayed in many rooms within the hotel and all are good.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

If you planning a drive from Montreal to Toronto then this hotel is perfect! The rooms have everything you need... very comfortable with clean facilities. There is a nice fireplace in every room which heats up the room nicely.

Breakfast is great, they include waffles, eggs, sausages, hash brown, cereal, fresh fruit, tea & coffee, fresh juices.. lots of choice. Perfect way to start the day.

WiFi coverage is great throughout the hotel and hotel reception staff are always helpful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I was really please for my one night stay at the Best BEST WESTERN PLUS Fireside Inn. The standar rooms feels like mini-suites. The Staff was nice at check-in / and out . The free continental breakfast is good , but not great! Best place to stay if you whant to cut our travel between Montreal and Toronto. I will stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Pickering, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I have stayed at the Best Western Plus Fireside Inn on numerous occasions, both for business and leisure. I first at the Fireside Inn several years ago while on a business trip and I was struck by the charm, warmth and comfort of the Canadiana room decor. My wife and I later honeymooned at the Fireside Inn and this year, we returned to celebrate a milestone wedding anniversary. The charm, warmth and comfort still remains in the decor. It is complemented by very friendly and helpful staff. The Fireside Inn remains one of our first choices for a romantic getaway location with it's choices of accommodations ranging from fantasy and whirlpool suites although the standard room is equally romantic as all rooms are equipped with comfortable beds, chairs and each has a fireplace.

Room Tip: Hotel is completely smoke-free if that is important. We prefer the west side, second floor rooms.
Victoria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We had two different rooms here in the first week of September while dropping off our daughter at Queen's.

The hotel itself is old. Its been maintained but it definitely shows its age. The rooms were clean, the towels were clean, the linens and pillows were good. WiFi was free as was parking.

The staff were very nice and were accommodating when we needed to check out a day early.

The breakfast that was included was better than a lot of the 'included breakfasts' you get at just about every motel these days.

Location wise this is a great place to stay if you want quick (5 minutes or less) access to Queen's.

I might stay here again - I might try somewhere else. It was fine but I think I'd be inclined to try some place a bit newer and fresher.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The hotel is located by Princess Street but way out of town. This would be perhaps its main drawback – you need taxi or car to get to downtown.

The venue is full of character and built as a lodge. The rooms are decorated in old-fashioned style yet this is part of its charm – the place has an intimate and friendly atmosphere. Unlike the soulless chain hotels by the lake.

Breakfast is reasonably varied – have a go at the waffle machine for own-made waffles. Over the two days, however, the menu has not changed so it could get monotonous over longer stays.

There is medium-sized outside pool and few lounges. Access is to the left of the bar.

There is free internet access for the guests.

We had a dinner at the Bistro Stefan at the hotel. The food was tasty and reasonably priced and the jovial atmosphere was greatly enhanced by bubbly Megan.

Try its wood panelled bar for a night cap and a great atmosphere.

If you are a light sleeper avoid odd-numbered rooms starting from 201 to 213 (presumably the same on the lower floor) for the constant hum coming from the engine building on that side of the hotel. In any case rooms on this side are smaller.

Room Tip: Room 200 has a huge king-size bed with a poolside view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN Fireside Inn? Share your experiences!