“Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Niagara Falls, Canada
“Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

My sister and I stayed here on our way through to Ottawa. It was great for what we needed. Our room was comfortable and had a nice balcony. The hotel is situated at the end of Princess St, which is great. We had a great time looking through the used book stores that were only a stone's throw away from the hotel.
When we checked in, the front desk staff were very personable.
Thanks for a great stay!

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Dear Gingerclerk,

Thank you for commenting on your stay at the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. We not only appreciate you taking time to leave a review of our property but also for choosing to stay with us on your trips to historic Kingston. Exceptional service is what we strive for and it is our priority to ensure guests’ needs are exceeded.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

We were looking forward to the Easter buffet, it was very disappointing. The hotel advertised a seafood and potato selection, but nothing. The server asked if we would like coffee and we didn't see her again. None of the hot trays had signs in front to indicate what they contained. They do not cook eggs as ordered but serve cold ones from the 'hot' plates. We asked how they could advertise seafood with out any and we never heard back. Overpriced and an unpleasant experience.

• Stayed April 2012
Dear Harristone,

Thank you for sharing your experiences and we are sorry our Brunch was not to your satisfaction. We take comments such as these very seriously for use as immediate improvements. I understand our Food & Beverage Manager has been in touch with you and resolved this to your satisfaction. If you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at 613.549.2850.

Cambridge, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012

Had to visit Kingston for a funeral and a lot of the hotels were booked. This hotel was very busy with lots of kids/families (I assume some kind of hockey tournament or something). Was a little concerned regarding noise but on our floor the kids were all tucked in bed by 10-11pm. Did hear a couple arguing at 3am though! Room was nicely decorated and clean. Beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was good, service was a little slow as it was very busy. Would visit this hotel again, loved the location, near the water and close to lots of restaurants etc.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Dear Annnieee,

It was our pleasure to host you as our guest! We continually strive to improve our hospitality and service and we appreciate your kinds word about the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront.

Holiday Inn Kingston waterfront
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

Just returned from a hockey tournament weekend. The hotel was packed with hockey kids and their families and this was our first experience attending one of these "weekends".

Okay, under the circumstances I get it with respect to noise and disturbances. But there must be better ways to manage it.

Firstly, if the hotel is going to be packed with loud and disturbing kids and families then they should charge minimal rates to make up for the lack of sleep that one is going to have.

Otherwise, there should be security posted on every floor every night to make sure that kids are not running amock and that noise levels are kept to a minimum. Should the parents be held responsible? - probably yes, but again my kids are younger than any age that would be running around independently, so i am not sure what the set up is for older kids staying in a room, which I can only assume is unsupervised??

All I can say is that we did not sleep both nights! We were at the end of a hallway by the METAL stairs that leads to all the floors and right beside the METAL firedoor to these stairs. All night, every night, we kept being woken up to people (not just kids cause I definately heard adult voices too) running up and down the hallways, the doors banging closed, feet running up and down the metal stairs, etc.

I finally had enough on our second night and called in a complaint at 3:45AM - we had to get up at 5:30AM for a early morning game and we were exhausted!!!!

When I complained at checkout I was told that I should have called with EVERY incident. Tell me - does that make sense? So every 20 minutes or so, I am expected to turn on the lights (and wake my kids) to dial the telephone to complain about the noise? By the time I hang up the kids are gone (they are running)....how is the hotel going to catch these kids? My main concern after being awoken was to keep the lights off and try to fall asleep as quickly as possible!

The hotel should either 1) charge minimal cheap rates to make up for the distubances that one is going to have or 2) beef up security and have someone stand on every floor for the duration of the night or something that I have not thought of - considering the hotel was at full capacity with hockey guests - the majority of them underage kids!!!!

To make matters worse, the front desk was charging people with fake charges for all kind of things like smoking on their balconies - when no such thing happened!!!!!!!!!

The front desk was rude and dismissive - they had the "I don't care - not my problem" attitude. Basically put the onus on us making it OUR problem that we didn't call them every 20 minute to complain - like they didn't know that there was a noise problem??? Come on - get real!!!! When leaving for breakfast in the morning, the outside of the hotel was littered with empty beer and alcohol bottles!!!!!

Very dissappointing!!!! I walked away feeling like this was nothing but a money making weekend for the hotel - their chance to really cash in! This level of customer service would NOT have been acceptable in Toronto - is all I can say! Especially at just over $200 per night (including taxes and parking) !!!

Otherwise, the hotel is in a great location. Room was cleaned just fine and we never had a problem with hotel water or lack of towels. Beds/mattresses were VERY comfortable!!!
You will find an unpleasant surprise if you walk around your room in white socks though is all I can say - the soles were black after a couple of hours!

Room Tip: stay away from the end of the halls near the stairwell.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear smittygirl1966

We are very sorry that elements of your stay fell short of your expectations. We assure you that each of the issues you raised will be investigated further.

Ottawa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was traveling to Kingston for work, and a colleague chose the hotel. Neither of us slept well the entire trip.

First off, the location is great. It's walking distance to many great restaurants, stores, and historic sites, and is located right on the water. However, those in rooms facing eastward may hear the cars going over the metal lift bridge all evening, and often into the night. The balcony doors muffle the sound pretty well.

The room was clean enough, although the tub was getting that old overly scrubbed look, with rust around the drain. The balcony doors will also need a very good cleaning, but spring came very early in Eastern Ontario, and I'm sure that they will be thoroughly washed for summer (including the screens). The large armchair was a nice place to sit and watch the water (and the ferry). The internet worked pretty well too. Staff cleaned the room just fine every day.

The breakfast buffet was ok, and included because of work. Nothing really stood out, except the larger than usual mugs for coffee and tea (can you tell they cater a lot to military and government?), but nothing was bad.

I was not impressed with the room service dishes being left on the hallway floors. I saw this at various times of the day - perhaps a new cart is needed to take the dirty dishes and glassware to the kitchen, or at least not leave them lying about.

And now to the biggest problem of the trip - the beds. Maybe other rooms have better beds, but my colleague and I found that our beds were soft to the point of having a valley. These were the worst mattresses I've slept on in a very long time. Yes, I should have complained at the time, but was busy with work, and was very tired and in a great deal of pain.

Parking for guests is $14/day, although you do get in and out privileges.

It's too bad that I had such a bad experience, as I will be traveling to Kingston again within the year, and will not likely choose the HI, unless a colleague insists.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
HolidayInnKingston, General Manager at Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear Ottawavalleytourist,

Thank you for commenting on your recent visit to Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. I was dismayed to learn of your experience with our beds as they have recently been replaced and we receive many compliments on our bed comfort.

We would be very grateful for the opportunity to earn back your faith in our ability to provide you with a relaxing and restful sleep. At your convenience, please contact me at 613.549.2850 to discuss this further.

Thank you again for helping us improve,

Belleville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

In March, we had an amazing stay in the heart of Kingston From the minute we walked into the hotel, we were treated with friendly and professional service. Our corner room on the fifth floor was impeccable. Tastefully decorated with luxurious carpeting and linens it included all the amenities you could need. Also included, was an amazing view of the harbour from a good sized balcony. The buffet breakfast had something for everyone and the complimentary newspapers were appreciated. Being within walking distance of restaurants, shopping and entertainment was a huge bonus as was the complimentary parking. We will return.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear sandy w,

Thank you for your complimentary review of the Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront. We always appreciate our guests taking the time to leave such nice comments about our hotel. It sounds like you enjoyed many of the amazing aspects of Kingston that are located mere steps from our door! We look forward to your next visit, see you soon!

Regards,

Victoria, Bc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights in March 2012. Very good all round. We had a room on the 4th floor, waterfront, with 2 double beds. It was quiet, clean and had everything we needed. My only complaint is that the a/c in the room didn't work and, even after 2 calls to the front desk the problem wasn't resolved. No visit from the maintenance department despite what was assured on the phone. The room service breakfast was great, on time and reasonably priced. I would absolutely stay here again.

Stayed March 2012
Dear Demisemiquaver,

Thank you for your detailed and complimentary review of our hotel. We regret that our Maintenance Team did not attend to your A/C unit immediately and I have used your comment as a review tool for our Guest Services Departmental communications. Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we sincerely hope to have you return on your next trip to Kingston.

Holiday Inn Kingston Waterfront

Been to Holiday Inn Kingston - Waterfront? Share your experiences!