“Ideal situation” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Econo Lodge City Centre

You added Econo Lodge City Centre to your Saves list
Econo Lodge City Centre
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   840 Princess Street, Kingston, Ontario K7L 1G3, Canada (Sunnyside)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay Twice = Gift Card
Ranked #29 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Sussex
“Ideal situation”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

Well situated on Princess Street. $10 taxi ride from Via Rail station and walkable into downtown area - 25 minutes. Rooms basic but spotless. Whitney on reception was lovely, very helpful. Breakfast was included, continental. Very basic. First morning there was mould on the bread!! Receptionist didn't even raise an eyebrow!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Burlington, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

After considering all the hotel reviews on Tripadvisor I selected this hotel for a two night stay and did not regret it. Granted the rooms are tired but they are clean and the pillow top mattresses are most comfortable. The bathroom was clean. The staff was cordial and most helpful by showing me to my room the first night and providing extra amenities I required. The hotel was quiet.

For those who complain about the hotel being rundown: please stay at a hotel that charges double the nightly fee; they can afford the updated decorating. And by the way, I have stayed at more popular bigger name brand hotels for more than double the fee only to find the rooms, beds, and bathrooms in a lot worse shape.

I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

The sign outside the hotel says newly renovated. I think they were talking about the road in front of the hotel not the property itself.

The interior is filthy and smells like cigarettes and wet carpet.

The shower stall was mouldy. The paint on the ceiling was peeling off. The toilet paper roll had been ripped off the wall. The room had not been cleaned properly for months. The dust on the headboard was so thick that one wipe of a wet wipe didn't pick it up. The furniture was old, banged up, and unclean. The phone cord was absolutely disgusting. If you needed ice you had to go upstairs. The smell was even worse up there. Hotel advertised free breakfast. The are was filthy.

We think the sheets were clean. Not really sure. Got up in the morning, threw on our clothes and got the hell out of there.

DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed April 2014
Whitecourt, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

The new bed in our room was awesome, no lumps, no rolling into the middle, just comfortable and a great couple nights sleep. The room was quite Spartan with no clock radio, fridge or other amenities but the TV and internet connections worked good. The first morning, I reported that the toilet was loose and when I came in that evening, it had been repaired. We had coffee but didn't partake in the breakfast as the Star Diner just down the street has an awesome breakfast selection for great prices. The hotel was in an ideal location for our stay and we felt comfortable there. There was a heavy odor of incense in the hallways and the narrowing of one hallway was odd but our room was fine. The front desk clerk was very helpful with check in and helped us with our luggage as well.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

We stayed at this hotel on our way to Kitchener February 28th 2014. Despite the fact that the entrance is not very welcoming, check-in was easy. I had booked through Expedia and got a pretty good rate. They will run a pre-authorization for $50 on your credit card, presumably as a damage deposit. When I asked about it being released, the clerk said it would be released within two days of my check out but then "joked" that she may elect to use the $50 to shop on eBay, which I found to be quite odd. The entrance from the parking lot, especially at 11:00 pm, is quite sketchy, as are the corridors, with random ribbons tied to various doorknobs and room keys stashed under doorways. Hallways smell heavily of smoke, but as noted in a previous review, the rooms are fresh and show evidence of recent renovations. Our room had a mini fridge that hadn't been cleaned out from the previous guest, but other than that, it was pretty clean and the beds are firm, yet comfortable. Continental breakfast consists of toast, cereal, muffins, a waffle station, juice, coffee, tea, and a basket of apples. Interestingly, the breakfast area seemed to double as the gathering spot of a contingent of local senior citizens, who all seemed to know each other very well. Overall, about what one would expect from a $79 hotel room. Wouldn't go out of my way to stay at the Econo Lodge City Centre in the future.

Stayed February 2014
Halifax, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

This is a pretty decent hotel, and one of the cheapest deals in (downtown) Kingston. However, keep in mind it is not the Ritz-Carlton, so keep your expectations in check.

My room was adequately large and the bed was comfortable. Check-in was painless (with a $50 damage deposit), and the front desk staff were very helpful. Breakfast is served each morning, and their waffle-maker was a highlight of my stay. This motel is conveniently located on Princess St, about 25 minutes' walk to the waterfront.

The downside to this motel is certainly the fact that it does show its age. The halls are slightly dark, with a pervasive odour of tobacco smoke and generic carpet cleaner; luckily, the room itself is not unpleasant. The carpet and furnishings are worn, and the room itself was quite chilly on a cold January night with only a small baseboard heater for temperature regulation. There was a noticeable draft from the window. The walls appear somewhat thin, so conversations from the adjacent room were audible, but this generally did not bother me. Overall, I was not troubled by these deficiencies but I figure some travelers may be pickier about their lodgings than I am.

Negatives aside, this motel is a great bargain as long as you are not expecting anything too fancy. I will most likely return here on future trips to Kingston, and I will recommend it for anyone visiting the city on a budget!

Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Minden, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

We stayed here in mid January for our daughter's curling competition.
The location was great. Close to where we wanted to go and to
shopping. The rooms were clean. The breakfast was good as
well. Not a lot of options, but still quite nice. I know you get what you
pay for, but we did miss have a coffee pot in our room. Also only a
couple of plastic glasses for drinks. I found the hallways very cold
and they smelled like smoke (we did have a non smoking room).
But for the price and only one night stay, it suited our needs.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Econo Lodge City Centre? Share your experiences!