“Won't be back- I need air conditioning” 3 of 5 stars

Save 10-30%
Ranked #6 of 37 Hotels in Kingston
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Toronto, Ontario
“Won't be back- I need air conditioning”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2010

This is a nearly new property, clean and well maintained, but it has huge drawback for me, anyway. The "energy efficient" brand new climate control would not lower the room temperature below 23 or 24 Celsius (about 74 Fahrenheit). There was no AC setting that permitted continuous fan operation. The window in the room does not open.

It was a warm day followed by a cool night which may have "tricked" the low ambient cut-off switch. I don't believe anything was malfunctioning, this is just how the system operates.

This may not be an issue for some people, but a room temperature of 24 degrees leaves me awake, sweating and miserable all night. I will not return to this property because no matter how nice the property is, if I can't sleep at night then the hotel is unfortunately useless to me.

If room temperature is not a big consideration for you, then go ahead and stay here, there is really nothing else to be concerned about.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I reserved two rooms here using the holiday inn express website as I'm a club member. It was booked with an advance rate so the website infomred me that I would be charged the full amount there and then. I never was.

When I checked into the hotel, the paper work that I was shown had completely differerent prices on it to what I had agreed around $50 more. I commented and I was advised that it had been changed to a lower rate than I agreed. So I headed off to the room, one of the two rooms was fine but we couldnt get into the second. Back down to reception where I was informed that we had been moved room and someone had forgotten to update the details, so these cards working in a different room and they did. the man at the desk as very apologetic about it and mistakes do happen so I didnt worry about it.

The hotel was fine the rooms were clean and breakfast was ok, we had boiled eggs in the fridge at breakfast time.

The next moring I woke up to find the bill, I had been charged two different prices for two different rooms, yet they had both been booked together and were both the same style and had the same facilities, so again I went to reception and spoke to someone else, he too was fine but couldnt understand what had happened. He passed me over to a women on the check in desk who was argumentative with me ( i do know her name but I wont say it ) saying that I had already paid and that I wouldnt be charged, yet I had a bill in my had with my card number on it advising me that they were charging me a higher number than agreed. After trying to expalin she refunded $40 and the tax for that amount back to my card, this was the defference and this would fix it.

I returned to my room checked the bill again and it was still wrong as the tax that I was charged on the higher rate room was a percentage I paid more that the percentage she had refunded.

So I returned back to reception again, at this point I'm starting to get a bit annoyed but I kept calm and didnt shout. After spending around 40mins trying to advise her on the multitide of mistakes I asked for a copy of all the paper work and left, I had lost intrest and she was adamant that I had already paid for the room and that I wasnt going to be charged again for it.

Today I have checked my card statement, they have charged me for the room at the wrong rate as I advised they probably would, now I have to take this up with them again from across the altantic.

Not only that they have failed to credit me my point for my priority club and completely removed the reservation for the system as if it never happened.

Complete and utter incompetant staff, this runied the last day of my holiday and out of the 5 hotels I stayed in in Canada it was the worst, my advice it so avoid it at all costs until they can get some staff that can think, no when they are wrong and add up.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I stayed at this hotel with two other family members in May 2010. It is a new hotel (opened a year ago, I think) and is in great shape. It's near the outlet center in Kingston and there are lots of fast food restaurants nearby. It's not conveniently located to the center of Kingston. If you have a car, that's not a problem, but we didn't and we ended up taking a lot of taxis to get back into the charming part of Kingston.

The room was large and spacious. The breakfast was very good. The front desk staff were very helpful too.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Oshawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

We needed a break from life, ran away for the weekend. Our 10yr old is confined to a wheelchair and is a witty, charming, daredevil that keeps us on our toes. Our 22yr old daughter is best friends/sibling rivals with him, and they enjoy kicking us out of the house for "NO PARENTS ALLOWED" weekends. We try to go somewhere, anywhere for a weekend every 3-4 months so that we can recharge our parenting batteries :). We've had hit and miss wkends, generally heading to Niagara Falls for wkend specials. Needless to say many of the hotels we have stayed in were not put on our return list.

We arrived at the Holiday In Express Kingston hoping for some quiet much needed sleep, the ability to read a book, have a few nice meals, and to not hear "mom/dad" for a couple of days. We were pleasantly surprised by the front desk, we were quoted the normal king suite price and it was dropped down a bit as we were staying two nights. I questioned/hoped for a fridge for drinks, etc - they mentioned each room has a fridge and then handed us a few bottles of water while checking us in, a nice gesture :).

The hotel lobby was nice and quiet, we went up to our room and held our breaths (we've run into some doozies during our runaway wkends) walked into a beautiful, spotless mini-suite. The bathroom was super clean and pretty, it was well stocked with mini toiletry items (shampoo,mouthwash, etc)...lots of fluffy towels. There was a mini kitchen area with cupboards, fridge, microwave and sink - two seat table and chairs for meals. Sofabed/coffee table...then to the bed...HEAVENLY!!!!!

We both detest leaving home and our $3k bed, to arrive at a hotel and pay to sleep in a crappy bed, but we have no choice, we need the break. This is the first time in 10yrs of escaping that the hotel bed was better than ours!!!!! It was awesome and I am considering calling them to find out the brand/type as we are currently bed shopping. Not only was the bed itself great, the bedding was perfect, you can feel the quality in the sheets/bedding. My husband accuses me of having the Princess and the Pea syndrome, I'm just very particular in the linens we use at home - it makes a big difference.

We missed breakfast the first day, but did enjoy the complimentary breakfast the second morning, it was really nice. Expecting the norm "Complimentary Breakfast" of muffins and mud-like coffee I was pleasantly surprised by the variety. Cereal, yogurt, bacon, eggs, bagels, sweet baked goods, fruit, juice, etc. There is no way anyone can complain about the offerings, everyone should be able to put together a good breakfast here. There were two attendants looking after the room, they were fantastic about making sure everything was filled up and were very friendly. The only thing that bothered me was that everything was disposable. Plates, cups, cutlery - not a green solution here...But lack of green in the breakfast room was made up in our suite, we had both a garbage and recycling bin - made me very happy we were able to recycle in our room.

I spent most of the weekend saying "wow, what a geat place, I can't get over how wonderful this place is". I'm sure this review sounds over the top, but our wkends away are so very important and we really have had some bad luck, with that we have become somewhat pessimistic. When we need a break, it's so necessary...we are mentally and physically beat and need it to keep going. I love my family, my son, my life - but I'm the first to admit sometimes we need help...this is our help. Going forward, Instead of trying to decide where we should run away to, I will definitely look to run to Kingston when we need a break.

You may never think what you do for employment makes a difference, but I can tell you that you do. On one of our weekends, the service we receive can make or break our time off...I try very hard to be cordial and friendly to people I meet in everyday life, always thinking maybe they are on a break, maybe they need someone to be sweet or nice, just manners or a smile can make all the difference.

Thank you for a great wkend Holiday Inn Express Kingston.
We had a wonderful stay this weekend.
Christine & Keith
Room 406
May 21-23rd/2010

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Mississauga, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

We usually stay at the Four Points Sheraton downtown but this time we thought we would check this place out since it is #1 on Tripadvisor. The hotel is new, right of fthe highway in the midst of one of Kingston big box areas. If you're travelling on hwy 401 and need a quick overnight stay I would say it is ideal because everything is still very fresh and new. If you are visiting Kingston as a tourist or checking out the University/colleges, well the downtown hotels are definitely better situated. The woman at the front desk was lovely and took the time to show us some of their rooms, the nice pool area, the small but adequate exercise room and last of all the comfortable looking breakfast room. She gave us an idea of what the breakfast bar offerings would be which included a small glass front fridge with milk, drinks and some boiled eggs. Nice! We checked in and got a room facing the 401 and parking lot of the Days Inn. Fine, since the windows were supposed to be soundproof.
Other than having to turn of the room fan because it made enough noise to bother us we slept well. Well the next morning a transport truck was parked in the lot below our room with the motor running for at least 45 minutes and I discovered that under those circumstances the windows were not all that soundproof.
We found a nice table in the breakfast room and checked out the offerings, cereal, toast , muffins, bananas, bacon and some rather sad looking scrambled eggs. The food was okay but we thought it best to avoid the scrambled eggs and went looking for the hardboiled ones that were no longer in the fridge. There was no staff around so we sat down and waited. One woman eventually popped out of the kitchen door to check the buffet but before we could talk to her she zipped right back in. This happened several times until finally my husband caught up with her. He asked her for the boiled eggs. She became so irritated and I could hear her clearly across the room telling him that there weren't supposed to be any eggs in that fridge (even though there was an egg tray and a label that read "eggs"). Then she went on about that she wasn't even supposed to be at work and that she was called in because other staff hadn't shown up. Everyone in the breakfast room could hear her angry voice. Thereafter she just turned around and headed back into hiding. This scene was not a pleasant way to start our day and some of our fellow travellers said " Well she sure told you off!"
When we were checking out another nice girl at the front desk asked us how our stay was. I decided that the management really should know about this and as I was calmly explaining our concern, the young woman from the kitchen appeared and stopped to listen. It really was the last straw when even then she was defiant and answered in an angry voice, changing her story that she thought the eggs were bad. The poor front desk employee was so flustered and we just shook our heads and left. Some of the staff definitely needs some intense training in hospitality.
Guess we'll be back at the Sheraton next time.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Maryland, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2010

No complaints about this one. Very nice hotel. Very friendly staff. Good complimentary breakfast. We (dad and 2 teenage daughters) stayed here in the middle of a long road trip to visit Canadian universities. The washer and dryer were handy. There's a 24 hour Shoppers Drug Mart right across the street. The hotel is near Highway 401 so you have to drive into town - which wasn't a big deal for us (dad and 2 teenage daughters) as we only stayed 1 night and headed off to Ottawa after visiting Queen's University, eating lunch in downtown Kingston, and quickly visiting Fort Henry.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Stayed in lots of hotels, this one was great, definitely in the top 5.

Stayed February 2010, traveled on business

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Kingston? Share your experiences!