“STAY AWAY - YOU MIGHT GET INJURED” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Families with children, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Takeout
Hamilton, Canada
“STAY AWAY - YOU MIGHT GET INJURED”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

This is a warning to stay away from the Rebel's Rock. If you go there you run the risk of getting into the middle of a brawl. Should you request police assistance in the afformentioned scenario the owners may cancel the request.

The service is poor, slow and inflexible and the food will often make you feel queasy.

The menu is extremely limiting and does not offer any healthy alternatives.

The prices are the highest in the city and often flat or warm.

The Rebel's Rock has very much potential. I could see that this place could be one of the hottest spots in the city! Unfortunately it would seem that this business has been mismanaged and not allowed to thrive and reach its true potential.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

54% Recommend
Hamilton
“Get Your Irish On (and Off)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2010

I've been frequenting the 'Rock' (as it’s affectionately known) on and off for 3 years. I've met many an interesting patron, bartender and up until a little while ago dog. I even met my wonderful other half there and no one finds love at a bar. This isn’t a bar the people and atmosphere are what set the pub apart and a good part of the reason I’ve returned time and again. Unfortunately, when it’s good it’s great, but when it’s off it’s the equivalent of a flat, warm pint.

The first thing you might notice is how cozy the place is. A large Victorian house with a good size patio and long accessible ramp leads to a bright green door. On the other side you'll find a long wooden bar adorned with various taps that invite you to park your butt on one of the long wooden benches and stay for a while. From floor to the ceiling there’s something to see and fairly regular fare; board games, books, a couple instruments, sports games on a tube in the corner, tunes on the radio. Yet, there’s some irregular fun like Trivia night (Wednesday) with a chance to win your dinner and occasionally jam nights where its fine to bust out the bars bongos.

I've known a lot of people to be regulars and regularly return to this pub; its in close proximity to home for some, its a venue to perform for others and it does offer a certain amount of security in a somewhat unsecure neighbourhood. The owner Kate is a wonderfully warm woman who always "looks after her regulars" and Troy is a jovial fellow who almost always have a smile for you. The owners are definitely a part of the cozy charm of the Rebels. They host numerous events for charity and often personal fundraising for individuals known to the pub.

I wish I could rate the Value as highly as I can the Atmosphere. Expect to spend about $7 a pint (plus tip). They have a decent selection of drafts; Guinness, Harp, Kilkenny, Moosehead, Keith's, Bud, 50, Stella and Magners cider. You'll get a similar selection at most other Irish pubs in Hamilton. The portions are usually large and specials can be very special. The pulled pork for $5, Salap's (their salad wraps) and many of their 'Mains' are definitely worth your money. Buy one pound get one pound half off chicken wings (Thursday) isn't quite as enticing as 'buy 2 lbs get one free'. We bought 2 pounds one night and were surprised to find we only got 1/2 a pound on the house.

The Value, Food and Service are hard to rate because of inconsistency. Food is prepared by the bartender serving you which means service and value can be affected by the amount of patrons in the bar or supply shortages. Usually you can expect good service from the Rock, but good service doesn't excuse undercooked chicken wings or cold food. A few weeks ago a bartender 'forgot' my pint inside before she came out and took her smoke break. A few months ago a friend and I had dinner. I ordered the special (chicken curry) and I was disappointed to find that although it tasted delicious it had NO potatoes! 90% of the menu contains potato; the nachos, the bread, especially most of the appetizer and dinner items. Maybe they ran out of potatoes for the curry?

I've had great service from great people who've worked at the Rebels Rock and I've had terrible service from nice to nasty folks who've also poured pints there. When they began their 'Birthday Club' promotion I was delighted to have a birthday coming up. The night of my actual birthday we visited the pub where I was informed by a rather new, rather large fellow behind the bar that I couldn't have the birthday ‘surprise’ because he had no idea what it was. Fair enough. Unfortunately later that night a long time resident bartender with a mouth like Roseanne came in to check on their big newbie and she seemed either unable or unwilling to bother honouring the promotion.

The close connection formed in a pub like this can also be a drawback. Its location tends to lend itself to the odd rough patron. Some bartenders in turn can have a tendency to be a little rough with those who frequent the pub and (like most places people socialize) gossip tends to run rampant.

The music schedule is unfortunately as unpredictable as the food and service. It’s not unusual to come in expecting to hear live music only to find someone’s iTunes running. The music playing usually tends to be enjoyable enough but you can only enjoy it inside, if you smoke, you lose in more ways than one eh. The slightly cramped space leads to loud levels when the music is live. This isn't very good if you want to sit inside and chat with a friend casually, but at least you can hear the band from the patio.

A word about the patio. Its easier to go inside and order your first pint than to wait to be served. Particularly if the place isn't busy or the bartender doesn't smoke. It’s hard to give the Rebels Rock a review because it can be a great night out or a fun afternoon but it can also vary greatly. I realize change is inevitable but it shouldn't affect a business to the point where walking in is a gamble. It’s a pub, not a casino. I might recommend the Rebels Rock to someone if they were looking for somewhere to grab a pint close to where I live. Luckily, Hamilton has a decent selection of Irish pubs so you can have more than one opportunity for a good pub experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
hamilton
“Dont waste your time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2010

When this first opened it was great and its been all down hill since. I mistakenly went back recently to give it another chance. The service was bad the food so so and the prices way too high

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Hamilton
“Possibly the most boring Irish pub in the world”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

I've made three visits to this pub, thinking I'd been there on an 'off' day the time before. Unfortunately, every day seems to be an off day at Rebel's Rock.

The first visit was for lunch. Alas, Kate was not in, and the kitchen had ostensibly been closed in her absence. Perhaps because I had brought four others with me, and we all wanted to try the 'famous' fish and chips, the owner offered to whip up a batch. Big mistake. The fries were but raw potatoes slightly heated on the outside, and the fish was marginal (at best). For $14 (plus tip) for each serving, I could have done better elsewhere. That and $7 (plus tip) for a pint of Guinness made for a rather pricey pub lunch, especially a pub lunch that was far below expectations.

Several days later, I thought I'd give Rebel's Rock another shot. I went in shortly before 9 PM hoping for a late dinner and a pint. I began by enquiring about Kate's health. She was fine, apparently, but the kitchen had closed. Fair enough. It was a little late for dinner. I'd try again another time -- earlier in the evening.

The following week, I checked the website and saw that there would be live music that evening after 7 PM. I went over to Rebel's Rock at 7:30, hoping some Irish music and good company would make up for the last two times. Alas, the bar was deserted but for the band's manager ranting quietly at the bar about insufficient promotional efforts. I thought perhaps I'd finally be able to give Kate's fish and chips a try, but although Kate was actually there in the kitchen, the bartender told me she'd just closed it down. "Last call was 10 minutes ago," she said. I'd been there for at least 15 minutes nursing another $7 pint of Guinness; there had been no such announcement.

I walk by Rebel's Rock several times a week, but I've never seen it busy. It has enormous potential -- the bar is well-situated on King Street East in a lovely old Victorian house with a slightly gritty look. Inside, the decor is charming, though space is slightly cramped. For some reason, the washrooms take up almost as much space as the place where live music is performed (assuming live music is ever performed there).

hamilton
“A great little irish pub, a little out of the way but worth it! The pub food is nice and hearty: authentically and...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

A great little irish pub, a little out of the way but worth it! The pub food is nice and hearty: authentically and uniquely good! I LOVE their curry fries!!!! and their irish ales on tap! A good crowd, and some good live music.