“A Gem in Hamilton” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
“A Gem in Hamilton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

I have stopped in here a few times, mostly before going to a theatre event, or night out on the town with friends from out of town. It can be a busy little place, but that's because the atmosphere, service and drinks are wonderful. If your looking for a swanky night out with friends, or want to sit back for a good cocktail and some oysters then you have to hit up The Two Black Sheep, its even better when "Handsome Dave" is behind the bar. There are lots of drinks to chose from, I always try and go with something different to make the night memorable.

Well worth a visit if you have never been.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“oysters fun”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014

Went there today for the $1 oysters, 4 to 6 pm. First time trying this little eatery. Had a pleasant greeting upon entering and was told to sit where ever I wanted.Ordered 20 oysters with some speciality beer. large bottle, and then had the three choice chauterie meat and cheese board with a further beer, 600 ml bottle. They do not serve draft beer.The food in total was good and filled the empty stomach and it was good enough that I am returning next week for more. Service was very good and friendly. There were two waiters on the floor, one did the front and the other did the back/kitchen. They had six kinds of oysters but only one for the a buck a shuck. My 20 oysters were served with a variety of sauces, horseradish and lemon. After trying the sauces I went with the usual lemon and tabasco. The meat and cheese board was well prepared and hit the spot. I really enjoyed myself and am intending to return often. They also have an excellent choice of wines by the glass and cocktails. In total I spent $65 and am happy with my selection. I hope people go here and have fun. I got there after 4 pm and within 10 minutes it got pretty full...

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Amazing service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Fantastic servers at Two Black Sheep and deliciously creative cocktails! The cheese and charcuterie boards are to die for!

Visited July 2014
Waterdown, Canada
“Great little spot in the heart of Hamilton... oysters, charcuterie and cheese!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

So we were going to go to an oyster bar in Cambridge (we live in Waterdown) and decided to see if we could save ourselves a bit of a drive by going to Burlington or Hamilton instead. Stumbled on this spot on tripadvisor and I don't remember the last time I came across a spot that didn't have any reviews lower than 4/5. So we had to go.

The place is in DT Hamilton, and around the corner from a bunch of bars, but it stands alone. Rustic decor (hammered down wood everywhere) it's a tiny spot (seating about 20 total + the bars), but don't be fooled. All of the menu is on blackboards around the room, so you have to move around to see it all.

I love it when the menu is small - that means they're specialized. There were 6 kinds of oysters to try (east and west coast), as well as a nice selection of charcuterie (some made in house) and cheeses. The beer, wine and drink selection was really nice as well, with their cocktails containing between 2 and 3 oz of liquor in them.

What was great was that one plate of oysters could have many types in it, allowing for us to taste the difference between one and another. Everything was quite tasty, wine and drink included.

The service was super friendly and accommodating, and the staff are knowledgeable on the menu, which helps with selection. We will DEFINITELY be back, likely for buck a shuck happy hour (4-6pm daily)

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Exceptional, every time.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

If you like creative cocktails, fresh oysters, and an ever-changing menu of cheese and charcuterie, then you HAVE to check out Two Black Sheep on John St S. I've been several times and the sevice, ambiance and experience has always exceeded my expectations. One time our entire bill was stealthily covered by fellow diners who wanted to pay it forward and make a young couple's night even more special! Weeknights are the best time to avoid crowds, as it's a popular spot on the weekends. I also love that it's open late every night - perfect for industry insiders like me who may be looking for awesome eats at 1 am on a Wednesday night.. I'm so happy this place exists!

• Visited February 2014