“A Slice Of (Southern) Heaven in Hamilton of All Places!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Barbecue
Toronto, Canada
“A Slice Of (Southern) Heaven in Hamilton of All Places!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

One of the things we miss about our years living in Georgia is good, authentic southern barbecue. I read about Hillbilly Heaven and the challenges they face hiring staff in today's paper. Intrigued, I checked out their website, and decided to give them a try. If I were looking for southern barbecue in this part of the world - Upper James Street in Hamilton is probably the last place I'd look. What a find!!

The food was fantastic - not at all like what I've come to expect at the big chains here in the north east. More along the lines of one of my favorites - Cafe Pig in Peachtree City, Georgia. I tried the pulled pork and half-rack of ribs, with baked beans and "extreme" green beans as sides. Heavenly! If you appreciate authentic southern barbecue, you know that it's not just about the food. Hillbilly Heaven has "personality"! Go for the food - but enjoy the whole experience!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Hamilton, Canada
“Southern-style racism right here in Canada”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband and I stopped by Hillbilly Heaven today for lunch but couldn't get past the hate speech and racist signs posted on the door. Maybe it's part of the whole Southern shtick, but xenophobia & racism isn't funny, in the Southern US or in Southern Ontario. Food smelled good. Too bad.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hamilton
“Great Food, Great Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

If you want to go out and eat meat. This is the place, the bbq is very good, I really liked the brisket. The side dishes were also very good, the deep fried extreme beans are fun and tasty.
The restaurant is clean and basic since take out is as big a part of their business as dine in. We ate in and had enough to take home for lunch the next day. It was great.
The hillbilly chilli fries and a drink would probably be enough for a meal for most people, me included.
I will go back any time I feel like BBQ.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Yum.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

I ordered this for delivery for the first time and I have to say I was very impressed... Everything tasted devine and I couldn't believe the portion sizes! HUGE enough to feed 2-3 people. I ordered the beef brisket, mac & cheese, coleslaw and fries.. about 14.00-15.00$ for that meal.. which is a pretty good deal.. Oh, and their sauce.... wow.

I'll be ordering here again! had to write this review after I ate, I usually don't write reviews at all ^_^

• Visited November 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“mmmmm good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

besides not being overly healthy, lots of deep fried stuff, it is an amazing place.... owner is super nice and menu is unique

Visited September 2012