“Not what they lead me to believe it was.” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #49 of 152 things to do in Hamilton
North Bay, Canada
13 attraction reviews
“Not what they lead me to believe it was.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This review is a little late but I felt the need to write it anyway. I was planning a family vacation and was in contact with staff several times before deciding to visit this place. I wanted to make sure it was a suitable place for two seniors, a teenage boy, a 3 yr old, and myself to spend the afternoon. Each time I spoke with them I was assured that there was plenty to do and see.... There wasn't and what was there was nothing even remotely close to what they told me was there. I was disappointed at being lied to for starters.
Our main reason for visiting was because of the mini train and petting zoo. My son was so excited to ride the train. We were a little surprised to find out there was a $2 per person charge just so we could ride the train at another $6 per person. Basically it will cost you $8 per person to ride the train. I'm not quite sure why they just don't say the train is $8.
There is no petting zoo. What there is are a few farm animals in enclosures. You cannot access them at all and, at least while we were there, we had to take their word that there were actually animals there as we never saw any at all. There is a small play area for the kids.
We waited for the train and about 4 minutes into the ride, the train fell off the tracks. Yes, it derailed. We were stuck in the field for about an hour while the conductor walked back to get help. Several staff came out in trucks and atvs and tractors to look at the train and confirm it had come off the rails. Finally, one of the daughters came out with a tractor and trailer to bring us all back to the loading area. Actually, it wasn't her, it was a man driving who had obviously never hauled humans before as several people almost fell off the trailer due to his driving.
I don't think this is a random occurance with the train because there were signs posted in several different places stating that if there was a problem with the train and it was determined that it could not be fixed in a reasonable amount of time that all monies would be refunded. This again was a lie. The train was unable to be fixed because it had jumped the tracks and several of the wheels had fallen off. When several people asked where to go for a refund, we were all told, by one of the daughters, that we weren't getting a refund because we got to ride on a trailer so we should be thankful for a train and trailer ride for the price of one.
Definitely not worth it and many people left that day with the same impression that we had. Definitely would not recommend this again as it seems to be a money grab and nothing else. It also seems that the daughters don't really want customers of any kind there as they definitely make it known they don't like people.

Visited July 2012

Toronto, Canada
“GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I recently visited Puddicombe Farms and I was beyond impressed with the customer service I received.
I visited the store, where they have lovely little knick-knacks.
There was a dark hair girl working behind the counter, who was friendly and courteous. She asked me if I needed help and explained the history of the farm. Which I find very interesting.
There was also a taller blonde lady that had a beautiful smile.

I will definitely be returning to Puddicombe Farms in the future.

Visited November 2012
3 attraction reviews
“Peaches, peaches and more peaches!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

What a great place! Great place to eat, has a petting zoo and a train that encircles the property. I bought my peaches for canning there. They were beautiful and reasonably priced.

Visited August 2012
Toronto, Canada
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

First, I'll start with the good: the train ride was nice, and for $3 per person, it was pretty good value. My son was certainly captivated.

However, the rest of the place is in serious need of repair/cleanup/attention, etc. The prime example would be the children's play area. Of course my 2 year-old son is going to enjoy running around inside a miniature toy house, and will be blissfully unaware of the nails sticking dangerously out of its walls. For parents on the other hand, this is a serious concern. It is beyond redemption to have an area for kids which is so patently unsafe and dirty (and charge them to use it no less - the train ride is an additional charge.)

I have no problem paying to take my son to a place where he can enjoy himself in a clean, secure environment (of course, I recognize that I must also play a role in supervising him.) But to be charged for something that is in such a wanton state of disrepair is nothing short of galling.

Honestly, I think 2 stars is being generous.

Visited September 2012
3 attraction reviews
“Nice way to spend the afternoon.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012 via mobile

Take the ride on train to tour the winery. Very large and impressing farm raising more the wine grapes. Impressive view on Niagra Enscarpment. Very nice wine shop, tasting bar, and very informative staff. Buy wine when you are there as it is not available at retail stores in the states.