“Great experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 319 Restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bistro
Good for: Romance
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: Babelfish Bistro features “upscale comfort foods” served in a cozy urban room, accompanied by excellent service. Compliment your meal with wines from our exceptional selection, followed by decadent house made desserts. We are the perfect size for private gatherings of 25 to 40. Reserve online with the "Reservation Widget" on the bottom of our home page up to 5 days in advance!
Toronto, Canada
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I celebrated our anniversary here in January and had a great time, the service was excellent and the food and wine was delicious.
My only complaint is that every time someone opened the door a cold draft came in straight to our table...the decor was nice but it's hard to be cozy when you're cold

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Guelph, Ontario
“A real treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

It was a last minute decision when my husband took me to Babelfish Bistro to celebrate my birthday - my pick, of course. We both enjoyed our first visit and will not be the last time either. I loved the artisan bread and the whipped butter with maple. We started with escargot and mussels and they were delicious. But most of all, I enjoyed the pistachio crusted salmon while my husband devoured his ravioli. And my all-time fave, creme brulee is really good. Totally agree with the 5 star previous reviews: generous portions, great atmosphere and friendly staff. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited May 2013
Rockwood, Canada
“Another hidden gem in Guelph”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

It was a first time for as at Babelfish Bistro. We were looking for a comfortable restaurant with good food and atmosphere for an evening out with friends prior to a concert at RiverRun Centre.

A first for me, was the ability to make a reservation online through their website. Very convenient.

Babelfish did not disappoint.

The servers were prompt, friendly and knowledgable. We usually try to have a good time with servers and sometimes even give them a bit of a hard time, but they all took it in good fun.

We shared appetizers of steamed mussels, baked brie and shrimp. All were done to perfection.

Entrees included Fresh Perch, New York Steak, Thai Stir Fry and Salmon. Again, everyone raved about their meals. They were all hot, served together and cooked perfectly.

The restaurant is cozy, but elegant. A very comfortable place for dinner.

Prices are on the high side, but I don't believe we overpaid, based on the quality of the food and service. If I were to make any recommendations, it would be that the tables could have been a little larger (they were a little cramped for four of us) and paper napkins seemed a little cheap for this type of restaurant. Despite this, I still have no hesitation in giving the restaurant 5 stars and will be sure to return.

• Visited April 2013
Guelph
“Unsure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I'm unsure about the history of this restaurant's menu success as I have only lived in Guelph for 3 years. Having said that, I must chime in here with the reviews to rate it as a mediocre experience. My most recent visit was on Valentines Day for the prix fixe menu and I came away from the dinner underwhelmed. My salmon was overcooked. My partner's pasta was dull. The dessert was blah. I don't get it. I've given it three tries now and really feel that it could do so much better! With such fantastic bistros and restaurants in the downtown, I believe Babelfish is relying too heavily on their TV fame and should be working on innovating their menu. Best wishes.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
DTRB55, Owner at Babelfish Bistro, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
Hi SpicedGoudaGirl,

Thank you for taking the time to "chime in" with your thoughts and thanks triple for trying Babelfish Bistro three times! It sounds like you've truly given us an honest shot. We know we're not everyones cup of tea and I am sorry to hear we just don't do it for you.

Regarding your most recent underwhelming experience on Valentines Day, I wish you had expressed your displeasure on the spot. We always appreciate the opportunity to correct or attempt to correct a problem immediately. I know it may not have salvaged how you felt about your experience that evening but we stand behind our products and service and at the very least you would not have been charged for your dinner. Please contact me at your earliest convenience and I would be happy to fully refund you for your Valentines Day experience with us.

In the future, wherever you dine, I encourage you to speak up immediately if you're not happy. It's important to restaurant owners like me.

Rich Brown
Babelfish Bistro
Rockwood, Canada
“Awesome First Impression!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

By husband took me to Babelfish Bistro back in September and it was a real treat! We are always looking for new places and we tried it based other trip advisor reviews and were not disappointed.

We shared a spinach salad which was delicious and my seafood pasta was fantastic. Generous portions, great atmosphere and friendly staff.

Well worth a try!