“I don't believe the last couple of reviews. We had no problems.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Royal Inn & Suites

Royal Inn & Suites
You added Royal Inn & Suites to your Saves list
Royal Inn & Suites
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   106 Carden St. | 95 Macdonell St, Guelph, Ontario N1H 3A3, Canada (Formerly Travelodge Inn & Suites)   |
Ranked #13 of 13 Hotels in Guelph
Ottawa, Canada
“I don't believe the last couple of reviews. We had no problems.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We've stayed here several times in the past and yes, we know that the streets are rowdy at night, especially on weekends, but the rooms are always clean and comfortable and the staff polite and attentive. We actually like the funky old-time atmosphere as well, and the wonderful Spice 11 restaurant is part of the same building. What's not to like?

One thing I've been told: if a couple of young women check in, go out for a night on the town, and return at 3 a.m. with three guys in tow, the staff aren't going to let that happen. I say amen to that.

Room Tip: Rooms with two queen beds and a pull-out are more spacious.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

Oh man is this place ever raunchy. The rooms are filthy, the beds are dirty and the staff smell like cigarettes.

But whatever, it works for Hillside. Its better than camping. Marginally.

Sometimes you just gotta say, "What the Heck."

• Stayed July 2012
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

My friend and I drove from Barrie ON and wanted to stay close to down town. We ended up paying more then we wanted but it was a good location and we thought with the price being $144.00 it would be a nice place to stay. Our rooms where disgusting and the place looked and seemed very much like we where in the hood. We went out on the town and then came back to the hotel with some of my family for a few drinks at that time we where told we could have no visitors after 10pm. When we went to go to sleep our pillows stunk and I lifted the corner of the pillow case and it was covered in yellow sweat and drool stains and god only knows what else. NEVER STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Ottawa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

I stayed one night at this hotel. I chose it because it was right across from the VIA rail platform and I had to take the training in the morning. A new transportation hub was constructed there so you can also take GO buses and city buses in the same place. I'd read the reviews but decided to go ahead and stay there any way.

"Tired" doesn't begin to describe it. The building is in pretty bad repair. The paint on the outside is peeling. On the inside, it looks like it hasn't had a reno in twenty years. Everything looks VERY dated. The room I was given was the smallest hotel room I've ever been assigned, and I've stayed at dozens of hotel & motel rooms. Granted, I only wanted one queen bed, but the average hotel gives you way more space. The TV wasn't even a flat screen and it looked like it dated from the last century. The bedcover-- eesh. The whole decor screamed 1990. The bathroom had mold in it. The tiles were falling off. My view was of a brick wall. And oh yeah, the continental breakfast was pretty uninviting. Everything just screamed "done on the cheap". At least the staff was friendly.

Now I didn't mind so much because all I wanted was a bed for the night. It was reasonably clean and quiet. But if I had had rented a similar room to take my family on vacation, I would have felt ripped off. I paid about a $100 a night or so -- can't quite remember. You can get more room and more class at a mom & pop motel, and for a better price. I wouldn't say don't stay at this hotel, especially since like I said, it's conveniently located next to the train station-- but just bear in mind what you're signing up for. It's not pretty, but it can be convenient.

Room Tip: Ask to make sure your window doesn't face a brick wall!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Yorkshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

I hope the hotel gets its facelift soon..... it is in such a great part of town and very handy for travelling by when touring. Sadly, as stated in the other reviews, it needs a perk up and refurb.
We asked for quiet room, and were given one at the back which was anything but. The Air con system, or kitchen fan or whatever, roared all night and the windows were poorly glazed, so it was very hard to get any sleep. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom OK. If we had stayed more nights, we would have asked for a change of room.
The breakfast was fine... all the usual self service stuff, and good coffee. The staff were very friendly and the manager helped us out with problems with the keys of our hire car, so full marks there. Many thanks.

Room Tip: Don't sleep at the back in the rooms overlooking the noisey aircon or boiler system.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Well the hotel is old,but the history of the structure is fascinating. I felt safe as i travelled alone. Everything is walking distance. The staff here are so nice and the General Manager is a caring and helpful person. I am definitely coming back to this place. I would recommend a stay here. I felt so comfortable....a home away from home!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

This was my 4th stay at this Travelodge and as always, my stay was perfect. Yes the hotel is dated looking but the decor is not the heart of this hotel. The people who own and work here are the real hidden gems. People who go out of their way to ensure a pleasant stay. Customer service.....with a smile!
This historic building boasts a superb location in downtown Guelph, across from the Via/Go trains and the bus terminal. There is a complimentary breakfast daily with all the basics. Everything has always been fresh and the coffee is superb.
All in all a great value that I would not hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo

Been to Royal Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!