“A nice place!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 304 restaurants in Guelph
Cuisines: Continental
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Private Dining
Description: Welcome to The Joint Cafe located in downtown Guelph. The cafe is a cool and comfortable place to relax and grab a Birds & Beans coffee, glass of wine or custom cocktail. We offer a variety of beer by the bottle, such as Mill Street Organic & Tankhouse, as well as Steamwhistle, Wellington SPA & Alexander Keiths. Our food is second to none and is all made from scratch in house. Check out our menu on our website and visit us each day to view our daily features.Take a seat in front of our fireplace and chill out with a favourite magazine or book. Our team is ready to serve you and allow you some quiet time to just decompress from the day.We do offer free wi-fi to our guests, but we are a laptop free zone from 11am-2pm & during our evening dining. It is important to us to keep our tables open for our dining clientele.
Elora, Canada
“A nice place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

At first we were not sure whether we would like this place or not. The atmosphere was nice, decor was cool...but we did not feel very welcome. We stood at the door for what seemed like a very long time before we were invited to sit down...then we waited another 5 minutes before we were brought a menu and asked if we wanted a beverage. Not a good first impression.

Once we ordered our food, things improved. Our waitress warmed up a little and the food was lovely. My husband and I both enjoyed our meal. The salad was not cheap, but it was large and rustic and quite filling! Bravo! I did feel as though a lot of thought went into the menu and that always makes me feel good about a restaurant!

We would definitely return. My only criticism would be that they talk to the servers about being a little more friendly.

• Visited October 2013

92% Recommend
Rockwood
“Good food and relaxed atmosphere....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I'm originally from California, and this restaurant would fit right in. Organic food, playful, whimsical decorating, high quality ingredients, friendly and relaxed staff--we had a great lunch here. I had the quinoa shrimp dish, and my husband had the grilled cheese sandwich. The kettle chips that accompanied his sandwich literally made him moan. The shrimp on my quinoa plate were fresh and cooked perfectly. We had ginger molasses and chocolate chip cookies for dessert, and they were unbelievably good. I would definitely go back to the restaurant; it is a little on the higher priced end, but it is a fine choice for a memorable meal. My only complaint is that they need to expand the menu, so that they have just a couple more entrees--not just salads and sandwiches. Also, I wish their taco menu item would have had a choice other than duck for the meat filling--not a fan of duck...

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Guelph, Canada
“Great place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013 via mobile

Excellent place to visit time and time again. The food is very good but maybe a little limited in choice. The wine selection is great with a large selection. Go as a couple or with a group of friends

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Fresh! Fresh! Fresh!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2013

My husband and I arrived for lunch on Thursday, August 1, about 1:40 p.m. The cafe was still bustling and we were seated promptly and cheerfully. I chose this restaurant based heavily on previous reviews, especially of the salads because that's what I want to eat when I go out. I want creativity and freshness and The Joint delivers on both fronts. I had a hard time choosing from the three menu salads (there is also a daily special) but decided on The Rustic. A previous reviewer has nailed its description. I'd just like to add that it was one of the freshest, most satisfying salads I've ever had. There were lots of goodies lurking amongst the pristinely fresh arugula leaves. All too often with mesclun and arugula-based salads, you are faced with slimy bits--even at high-end spots. Not so here! And the moist chicken and veggies were cleverly layered with the arugula, not just lolling on top. I also enjoyed a very respectable California chard, reasonably priced.

My husband had the lunch special--a fillet of salmon which presented as a moist, flakey, perfectly cooked piece of fish perched on a bed of mesclun and strawberries. He is not a big fan of fruit in salads but was pleasantly surprised at how well the strawberries complemented the mirin glaze on the salmon. His regular coffee was a robust, quality brew and he was offered a refill.

We detoured here on our way home to Richmond Hill from the St. Jacobs Market so it's a bit out of the way for a regular visit. However, I'm already trying to invent reasons to come to Guelph because those other salads are calling my name. We noticed some dark chocolate biscotti beckoning on the counter as we paid our check but were too full to consider another bite. We popped into the store across the street which is The Joint's take-out operation and the baking was begging for a new home but we resisted--this time. Much of it is wheat-free, another bonus. They also carry some homemade condiments that looked yummy.

I don't recommend this restaurant for a romantic tete-a-tete only because of the high noise level due to all the hard surfaces and high ceiling. We had some trouble talking over the noise but that was the only downside for us. We give the food and service a solid 5 stars. Anyone would feel comfy here. We saw families, singles, groups and couples eating here.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guelph, Canada
“Yummylishous”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

The Joint is a restaurant I visit frequently. It's eclectic local organic nature reflects its food - which is always fresh. Best meals my family has eaten are the Mac n Cheese, any of the salads and you can split the Full Monty as it is large. DON'T forget the banana cream pie - its the best.

• Visited July 2013