“Comfy hotel in Guelph.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 13 hotels in Guelph
sylvics
“Comfy hotel in Guelph.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Had a weekend conference and the Royal Brock came highly recommended from people who live in Guelph. It's right next to the university and only a short cab ride away from downtown. The staff are excellent, very friendly and welcoming.

The room was lovely, very large with a high cathedral-like ceiling. Large flat screen tv, mini fridge, surprisingly large bathtub and extremely comfortable beds. The hotel's built on a slope, so with the different levels there wasn't elevator access to our floor (or at least the quickest way to get to our room didn't involve an elevator) but the staff explained this on our check-in.

The breakfast is quite good - toast, DIY waffles, eggs, yoghurt, fruit and muffins. Much more than a typical hotel breakfast. There's no bacon or cheese though.

Overall I'd highly recommend it and would stay here again. The only drawback location-wise is that it's not downtown if that's where you want to be but the upside is that it's quiet. Other attendees at our conference stayed at hotels downtown and had problems with the noise levels at night since it was the weekend.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business

133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
windsor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

stayed at bw's before, this by far the nicest. 32 inch flat screens great beds and pillows. whether business or pleasure i would recommend this hotel. comp hi speed internet is efficient and a comp brek a nice touch.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

I am frequently on business to southern Ontario from Ottawa and I think I have found my new favourite hotel for the area. Its a great value, very clean. I found the staff to be very helpful especially the front desk. The location was great. All around great and affordable place to stay

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

We stayed at the Best Western Royal Brock on Christmas Eve 2009. We had stayed here before when it was the Ramada, and had enjoyed excellent customer service. However, during this visit, we had two disconcerting encounters with the young lady who was unlucky enough to have to work the front desk both December 24 and 25.

On check-in I asked her what time the hot and cold breakfast buffet would be served. I was told in a matter of fact manner that there would be no breakfast because 'it's Christmas'. This had been one of the criteria I had used when choosing our hotel, particularly as I knew no restaurants would be open in Guelph on Christmas morning, and both my husband and I have health issues that require eating something other than baked goods for breakfast. When I explained that I had been assured by the reservations department that there would be a hot breakfast (read 'eggs'), the young lady stated there MIGHT be a continental breakfast served in the lobby ... but 'I really didn't know, I'm not used to working the front desk, and anyway, you have a coffee pot in your room. Ask the front desk clerk when you get back tonight'.

When we stayed at this hotel for our daughter's wedding, we enjoyed a gorgeous, large cathedral-ceiling room (the one you see in their online website .) Imagine our surprise when we opened the door to our room and saw a very small, low-ceiling square room. In fairness, it appeared to be newly decorated, and the King bed was particularly comfortable. No worries - we were there to celebrate Christmas Eve at our daughter's home, and would not allow these two small setback to ruin our festive mood.

We arrived back at the hotel around midnight, and asked the young man at the desk about breakfast. He informed us that the chef had decided to serve eggs, coffee etc. in the lobby. We were pleased ... we would get breakfast. The hotel information brochure in our room stated buffet breakfast would be available until 10:00am weekends, and 9:30am weekdays. Never assume anything! WE incorrectly assumed that Christmas Day would be treated as a 'weekend'. When we arrived back at the lobby the next morning at 9:30am, the young lady was back, and informed us with a smile that a hot breakfast was waiting for us upstairs where it is always served. Happily, we redirected ourselves to the 2nd. floor, surveyed the buffet (which looked pretty good - scrambled eggs, make-your-own waffles, cold cereals, fruit salad, yogurt and various bakery goods and coffee) helped ourselves to some scrambled eggs plus a mug coffee, then settled in to watch the news on the flat screen tv and to enjoy what we thought would be a leisurely breakfast after a somewhat late night. It was our intention to return to the buffet after our eggs for some fruit salad and more coffee! We literally had just sat down when the same young lady from the front desk appeared and began to remove the food and coffee from the buffet area. We were the only patrons in the dining area, and we sitting about 20 feet from where she stood. She did not speak to us to ask if we'd like more coffee, or anything else, for that matter, before she shut down the buffet, she just systematically began removing everything from the buffet. I was speechless ... particularly, I suppose, because I spent quite a few years as the Conference Manager at a well-known 5-star resort in Muskoka. If we'd known she was about to shut down the buffet, we would have taken an extra mug of coffee plus some fruit with us on our first pass. Or, as should have happened, if we had been pleasantly informed that breakfast was over, and asked if we'd like anything else, we would have had the opportunity to at least have had a second cup of coffee.

What an unnecessary and inhospitable act to guests on a morning when the hotel was almost empty! I know from my own experience in the industry that it's the little things that guests remember ... little acts of kindness and a friendly 'we're so glad you chose to stay with us' attitude. Here's my report card:

Room Small but immaculate and newly decorated

Bed Heavenly ... Beautyrest pillow-top mattress

Cleaning Staff Delightful lady on Christmas Eve who wished us a Merry Xmas , helped us find our room and pointed out the location of the ice machine. Thank you!

Buffet Breakfast Excellent assortment of hot and cold, including, eggs, waffle station, make-your-own toast, bakery items, yogurt and coffee

Front Desk Wow - sorry you had to work Christmas, but don't take it out on the guests!

I don't know if we'd go back ... probably, based on our previous excellent experience. But next time I would speak directly to the hotel, inquire as to the type of room I was booking and make sure there really would be a breakfast and time to eat it!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
WINDSOR, ONTARIO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2009

What a great job Best Western did on renovations "WOW!"
Booked a suite for two days (Grab 205) absolutely wonderful !!
Forget all the old Ramada Inn reviews This place is great

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Daveknows
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

Wow, I stayed in the Best Western in Guelph as more of a "Budget" option. Guelph has EXPLODED with Hotels and most of them are super over priced for what you get. On this particular weekend, some of my colleages stayed at other hotels I saw their rooms and thought "Nice" However when I got to the Best Western I was blown away at how nice the rooms were! They had plasma flat panel TV's HUGE soft beds, the rooms were quite and evern better...they had one of the best breakfasts I have had in a hotel for a LONG TIME

• Stayed October 2009
Orlando, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2009

I staying here back to back weekends with some friends and remember it being a Ramada. The hotel has been completely transformed and defiantely for the better!

It is so much nicer and they did a great job renovating the hotel. All new everything, comfy beds, flat screen TV's and if you have the chance ask for one of their suites. For a little more money you get twice the size of a room with a complete living room. Very nice!!

Staff was great, location was perfect and it doesnt even feel like a best western! They could have branded the hotel as any other top hotel chain and you would be just as happy.

Definately worth a try.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Royal Brock Hotel & Conference Centre? Share your experiences!