“Looks better than it is... Aug 12-13” 2 of 5 stars

Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
1 Langdon Dr, Cambridge, Ontario N3H 4R8, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Cambridge
Burlington Ontario
“Looks better than it is... Aug 12-13”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2007

Wife and I were getting away for our 8th anniversary.

Nice old building, well kept. Valet service is a nice touch.
Rooms were quite luxurious, but thats the standard fare for this price range. Grounds were in very good form and dining for breakfast / lunch under the tree in the garden was nice.

That said, its been a while since 2 sandwiches and 4 glasses of wine set me back $120.
Bermuda or Manhattan, yes but in Cambridge?

Found the meals to OK. not amazing.
Nice presentation....

First night, my wife had a filet mignon, ordered it medium.
two pieces, one was rare at best, the other was mushy, like it had been in a slow cooker for the day.
I nearly gagged.

I had Lamb, same results.

Next night, similar results.

The desserts were superb, wife wanted to be alone with her chocolate. Having said that, the dessert can't make up for a bad meal. I can get great desserts at any steakhouse.

Katie the Sommolier was very helpful, we sat in on her wine tasting on Saturday. On Sunday I told her my budget of $70 and we told her what we were eating, and she chose the bottle. Thats a nice service.

Found the clientèle to be a little snooty, more than what we're used to.

The spa was not the best we've seen, smaller, cramped, White Oaks is much nicer, in St Catharine's.

The maid service was shoddy. After 2 days, we had 8 dirty wine glasses, 2 empty snifters,and 3 empty wine bottles lined up on the mantle. We had turn down service but the empty wine glasses and empty water bottles on the night stands were ignored, as was an empty wine bottle in the middle of the seating area floor. When I asked for 4 wine glasses, I felt uncomfortable because I didn't tip, but I shouldn't have to, the maid should have replenished the room.

Another thing we missed was a mini bar, to put beer or white wine in.

After spa, wine, taxes and tip, 2 nights was about $2000. We both agreed we had a better time, for far less $, at Couples Resort /Bear Trail. We are not cheap by any means, but we value "value". We have certain expectations for the $ spent, and for the most part, they were not met.

• Liked — The staff were very friendly, very courteous
  • Disliked — The maid service was pathetic. I've seen better service at Motel 6, for 1/10 the price.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

230 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2007

We went for 2 nites in May for the first time. We were impressed from the very beginning from the winding driveway up the property to the valet who immediately parked our car. The customer service was excellent. The dinner was outstanding. The cheese platter and selection were top notch. Highly recommend this property if trying to get away and relax. Down to earth feel, not pretentious. Spa is okay. Services are not as nice as Ste Anne's Spa but Langdon Hall has a warmer feeling and better kept grounds. Walking trails are romantic and not too long. We also went to the Stratford Festival which was a highlight of our getaway. If you live in the city and don't have a cottage, Langdon is a good place to go for an outdoor retreat.

• Liked — The food
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

We had a great weekend at Langdon Hall in Cambridge. The spa was fabulous, and the food was world-class. This resort is highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2007

I've been to Langdon Hall on many prior occassions both for meals and overnight stays. I've always been totally impressed by this facility. Beautiful rooms, fabulous food and great service. Last week I treated myself to a relaxing afternoon there, including a spa treatment and afternoon tea. The tea was absolutely lovely, everything that I expected and more. The spa experience, on the other hand, was fell far below my expectations. The spa is in the basement which has low ceilings. To add to a somewhat clostraphobic feel, the change/shower/whirlpool/steam/locker room was VERY small and rediculously croweded. With other clients changing in there and attendents coming in an out to clear laundry, bring fresh ammenties, towels etc (which they were very on top of to thier credit) I had to move several times so others could squeeze by me while I was trying to change into my robe, it wasnt a relaxing beginning. The whirlpool only has one jet that works which makes it more of a very small, very hot, swimming pool in effect. The shower I used was great. It had a nice hand-held shower massage with an adjustable height holder on the wall, great water pressure, nice ammenties and was large enough to move around comfortably. The other shower (there are only two) was broken. The sink area was great with a huge selection of ammeneties (even toothbrushes). The equipment in the gym is of good quality and in good condition but there simply isnt enough of it. There's only one each of bicycle, treadmill, stepper & elliptical trainer - there was a line up of clients waiting to use them, not a relaxing atmosphere in which to work out. The manicure tables were in little cubbyholes in the hallway walls, they looked very cramped and provided NO privacy. The room I had my massage in was clean and fine but that was all, just "fine". It was very small, there were no luxurious touches (candles, decor, flowers etc) no papmering feel to the place. It was a small room that was painted beige and had a little wooden shelf in the corner. Overall I'd have to say that was my overall impression of my spa experience, it was "fine". I expected something really special and pampering and got something very average - perhaps slightly below average. I've been to MANY spas that are FAR superier to this one. It's truly a blemish on what is otherwise a really exceptional facility. After reading the other complaints below about the spa I'm now sure that it wasnt just my opinion and I intend to contact the management with my complaints. Hopefully they'll take some measures to bring the spa up to the "Langdon Hall" level.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Plainfield, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2006

I wish I had seen this site before I went to Langdon Hall. I agree with other reviewers that the Spa is very disappointing. Overall, this place is not up to the standards of Relais & Chateau. We have stayed at the R&C's in France, where everything is perfect (of course, it is France!) so naturally, we had high expectations. I was so looking forward to my facial, erroneously called a "Hydrating Facial." My esthetician (Sarah) was very inexperienced, she did not listen, nor take note that I have very sensitive skin, she used a papaya (very acidic) peel and used the wrong products (I know, since she gave me samples to try, that were labeled for "Combination/Normal" skin). My face was in major pain for a week, it was dry and red and burning, and luckily, it was the end of our trip, since I couldn’t wait to get home and do my own masks, and other moisturizing. I’ll have one facial a year, if I am lucky, and I look forward to treating my skin and getting it back in perfect balance, which is why I was so saddened & disappointed. This kind of ruined the romantic dinner, since it's difficult to enjoy yourself and experience the sensual pleasures of gourmet food (which was exquisite, btw) when your face is burning. It gave me nightmares, and the room, though beautiful & well-appointed, smelled like smoke, due to someone having used the fireplace improperly. The little porch off the room was dirty and covered with spider webs, something I noticed when we first got there, and thought, in the back of my mind: “this wouldn't happen in France.” Your expectations have to be higher at prices like this. Although the Thai massage with Stephan was great, it was performed in a conference room! (no kidding), and there really is no privacy. I felt bad for the newlyweds in the waiting room, eating their “Spa Lunch” in bathrobes while we waited in our street clothes. They were not able to accommodate my request for a manicure, which I guess is no big deal, but overall, it felt as if they were pretty clueless as to what an upscale spa should entail. Sarah was very condescending – “Do you moisturize your feet?” and when I told her I use Clarins products – “Do you buy those at ‘Shoppers?” which makes you feel like you don’t know how to take care of your own skin. I have had real facials at really nice places (like the Meurice in Paris) where they subtly suggest a new treatment all the while making you feel nurtured and taken care of. Instead of tending to my face (eyebrows, blackheads, etc) she put a hot seaweed pack on my back (not really what I came there for) and I laid there listening to the treatment going on next door, due to the paper-thin walls at this place. Incidentally, I called the Spa to ask for a refund, and their policy is to issue a gift certificate for another treatment – which is totally impractical for a vacation spot. They said they would call me back after speaking to management, but they never did.

Stayed August 2006
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2006

I have stayed at Langdon Hall 1-3 times per year over the last 10 years. In all of my travels to major hotels like the Four Seasons - Toronto or the Ritz Carlton - Chicago or other locations i have not seen the same level of consistency. As well in looking at other Spa and Inn locations in Ontario like Manitou, Elora, St. Ann's I have not seen the level of service provided by Langdon Hall staff. Annex Rooms are my favorite location and I have found them to be a relaxing place to return to at the end of a busy day. They are well maintained and decorated as a English country manor.
The restaurant is a great place to end a day and I have always found the selection to be great although sometimes on the expensive side. I normally end up in more trouble with the extensive wine list which normally has Silver Oak or some other favorite hidden away just waiting for me. The bar area is a great place for a afternoon snack and breakfast is always an opportunity to find some time for a coffee and a Sunday Paper. Afternoon drinks and or tea time can be relaxing opportunities as well as a trip to the Spa. This is the one area that could use some improvement as part of the spa is on the lower level and can be very claustrophobic. The bench mark that Langdon needs to check out is Fox Harbr in Nova Scotia.
The outside pool area is great in the summer but it would be nice to have a indoor pool for the winter. This is not a place for kids simply from a selfish standpoint it would disturb the peace and quiet. After traveling around the world on holidays my wife still see's Langdon Hall as the only place to recover from Jet Lag and or a major case of burnout. For some it may be too Expensive but it would be a fabulous place to recover.
Overall I would say this is probably the best hotel we have ever stayed in based on its ability to be best in class in so many ways. On our last visit my wife secretly purchased a landscape painting of the house in winter that now graces our front entry hall. Every day as I head off to work it reminds me that there is one place that still remains constant and is a safe haven for relaxation. I can hardly wait till i am headed that way

• Liked — Consistancy
  • Disliked — Outdoor pool rather than a indoor pool
  • Tips/Secrets — Take time to decompress
  • Stayed December 2005, traveled as a couple
Guelph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2006

Having recently stayed for the weekend at Langdon Hall, I find it unbelievable for anyone not to enjoy the sheer luxury of the property. I was very delighted with the exquisite menu and service in the dining room, my hotel room provided all the rest and relaxation needed, but my visit to the spa just made my experience all the more special. The warm and friendly atmosphere there made me feel very special. The staff went out of their way to accomodate all of my requests. The spa lounge was a delight to sit and have lunch in while looking out over the pond. The only negative comment I have about my stay was it was just not long enough. I look forward to my next visit.

Stayed April 2006

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!