“Luxury and great service” 5 of 5 stars

Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa
1 Langdon Dr, Cambridge, Ontario N3H 4R8, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Cambridge
Oakville, Canada
“Luxury and great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

My husband and I spent a weekend at Langdon hall to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. Every staff member that we met from the front desk to the restaurant were superb at customer service. The room was lovely, it was in the cloisters, had a king feather bed, log fireplace and spa bathroom complete with bath salts. We had dinner and breakfast in the restaurant, the dinner was outstanding. The waiter was attentive yet left us in peace, and the ambience is lovely. I hope we will return every anniversary from now on.

Room Tip: Cloisters rooms are just a few steps from the main building.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

Food was very good, tasty, fresh, creative, well presented, good portions (my steak was a bit over cooked from med/rare and needed salt & pepper unfortunatly). Service was world class. The inn itself looks very tired and in desperate need of freshening up, at least paint, and the front entrance where you enter looks like a staff's entrance at best. Great place for a special occasion re the food and the service.

Room Tip: Go in the summer when you can sit outside.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Just a great spot, only stayed there 1 night but thoroughly enjoyed it, room was fantastic, spacious with nice touches, grounds and amenities offer opportunity to relax in calm setting, much to like about this place, worth the high end price for a special getaway

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'm glad I gave this restaurant another chance. The quality of food was much better than the last time I went a few years ago. The onion soup is very rich and flavourfull, the onions sliced very thin make every mouthful tasty. The langostino/scallops apetizer was a bit of a let-down as the scallops were virtually raw and cold although I was reassured by the waiter that they 'were cooked a long time at a low temperature' I actually had to send them back to be cooked after having a taste - the cooked version was delicious but basic- they should put it on their menu that the seafood is quite undercooked. The pumpkin desert was simple (though beautifully presented) and quite lite and delicious. Of course the sevice is excellent as always. My only disappointment is portion size was very tiny and prices very high in proportion to quality of food. Oh and also, the califlower puree and other purees didn't really taste very good, were either too bitter, or the orange sauce actually tasted "off". Lots of little driplets and splashes of different sauces to pretty-up a very empty plate....

• Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2014

I stayed 2 nights in mid-October. I was there for a business meeting.

I was looking forward to my first stay at Langdon Hall. I had heard such rave reviews. I wanted to check it out for a possible romantic weekend with the Mrs...

I wasn't sure where to go with my car. There didn't seem to be anyone at the front door, so I drove to the parking lot. I walked from there with my luggage to the front door. (I was kind of thinking, based on prior stays at Chateau & Relais, that someone might be somewhere to help me with luggage. But no such luck.)

There was still no one at the front door when I got there, and I had to maneuver my way in through very quaint, but narrow front doors. I actually could have used some assistance. In any event, once inside and just beyond the doors, I received a very warm greeting. It would have been nicer to have had that person get the door. That person did escort me the 5 metres to the front desk. I don't think I would have got lost, but it was a warm gesture.

Check-in was friendly and someone did accompany me to my room -- just long enough to get me in the door of my room. I am still not really sure what amenities my room or the hotel may have offered.

Upon opening the door, I was assaulted with a less-than comfy smell of a dirty fireplace - you know that sort of urine and ash smell. It was really irritating, but I didn't ask to be moved. I did ask for someone to look into the smell issue -- no-ne did -- just that time of year I guess. It took me a while to figure out how to open the windows to air it out. I kept the windows open all night and then tried to leave them open during the day, but the staff insisted on closing them -- even when I asked them not to.

Meeting facilities: excellent. (I had to be there for a business meeting.)

Gym facilities: I don't think people go there to use the gym.

Breakfast: Very nice looking buffet. If you want something healthy, then you will have to make a special request (Fresh cut red grapefruit with a mound of sugar is not healthy, even if the sugar is nicely laced with rosemary.) How about steel-cut oats au naturel? I do agree the butter is very good and so are the scones. The pastries were very nice.
Lunch OK
Dinner: above average, but no reason to drive from Toronto for dinner there.

Meal Service: The kids who serve there could use some instruction in proper service. At other Chalet & Relais it seemed like as soon as was thinking there might be something I wanted, serving staff appeared out of nowhere at my elbow. Serving staff at Langdon Hall are very nice, but obviously have not had instruction in proper service, and have other tasks to take care of in priority to dining guests. One must be patient at Langdon Hall.

I did like hanging out in the hotel in the evening, talking to other guests, and playing billiards; it has a very friendly and clubby atmosphere.

Grounds: beautiful !
Decor: I really like it. it looks like advertised - -a comfy country manor (too bad it isn't comfy).
Cleanliness: Clean enough.

Prejudices: In September I stayed at the Grand Del Mar near San Diego and then the Biltmore in Phoenix. Those really are 5 and 4+ star hotels respectively. In comparison with these places, Langdon Hall was a bit ... well ... "tired" is a polite word.

Why I wrote this review: I really would like a top quality little country inn to go to with my wife or family maybe once each season. Some out of the way place (but not too out of the way), with excellent service and spectacular food. A place you don't mind splurging on. This place, could be that place.

This property has SUCH potential to be exceptional. But it is disappointingly MEDIOCRE. If it excels at anything, maybe it qualifies as the poorest relative in the Chateau & Relais family. It is basically a 3+ star boutique hotel, with a 5 star price tag.

Will I stay there again? Not if I don't have to. I am just really happy that someone else picked up the tab.

• Stayed October 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2014

My husband and I had an amazing stay once again at Langdon Hall. The service was above par across the board, from the spa to our dining experience. For a change, we enjoyed dinner in Wilk's Bar versus the formal dining room. Overall, our meal was great, the appetizers were superior to the mains however. Our only regret was that we did not stay two nights.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

Although I currently have a local (kitchener) massage therapist I decided to venture out to Landon Hall to have a massage with one of their registered therapists. What a great decision! After being led to a change room with glorious terry robes, I was encourage to head upstairs to a tea room for complimentary teas, coffee and snacks. My therapist found me at my appointment time. Friendly, professional and accommodating. She was exactly why I wanted. I finished my day with a relaxing Jacuzzi and use of the steam room. Adequate shower and hair drier available. Certainly provided me the relaxation I needed and the change of venue added to the experience. Definitely will retun

Room Tip: Did not stay overnight.
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled solo

Been to Langdon Hall Country House Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!