“Usually Great Marco ....” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 384 restaurants in Barrie
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Barrie
“Usually Great Marco ....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Took my GF to The North the other day and was overall not happy. When I made the reservation I requested a private quiet table. When we arrived they sat us in the bar not private and not quiet so they moved us upstairs next to a table of very very loud people. To be honest this ruined the night and the food was not memorable. They also didn't know it was a special
Occasion but the table next to is got a special birthday surprise.
The service was good and the waiter was friendly. Marco when a customer requests a quiet private table ... Make it happen !!!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

79% Recommend
“Amazing Evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

Took my girlfriend to The North on a recommendation and was not disappointed. The Chef Marco prepared an unforgettable meal and the staff recommended some great wine. If your looking for casual fine dinning that is a step up from the norm The North is a must visit in Barrie.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Orillia
“Close but just a bit short!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

We went to the North for supper it has been a while! They actually moved locations. Our first impressions were great. The tables were not crowded and the chairs were comfortable. Our waitress was great! She was informative, friendly and professional! We ordered appetizers and they came with awesome presentation. The Caesar salad looked very attractive my wife enjoyed it! The calamari was chewy and perhaps too well done, the goat cheese salad was enjoyed and my foie gras was superb! Then the mains came and my wife enjoyed her rib eye, medium rare! My friend had the same, ordered medium rare and it was not even pink, more medium well! My Kobe steak was also overlooked! Although it was tender it was not the way I ordered it and I was disappointed! It could have been so much better and at $60 it should have been. The vegetables were flavourful but salty and the risotto was mushy and pasty! My friend's steak was only average but my wife enjoyed hers. Also, my wife's risotto was better than mine and had better consistency....how? Our other guest had sea bass which she thoroughly enjoyed! The after dinner coffees were good and we were so full we could not eat dessert! Obviously the helpings were ample!
I would definitely go back to this restaurant but I would not accept food unprepared to my liking, I would be more selective next time and send it back!

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Barrie's hidden gem”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I just visited Barrie for the first time, The North was recommended to me, I was solo and ate at the bar, I had a great view of the kitchen and loved every minute of my experience. The atmosphere was nice, the service excellence and the food was over the top. I had the rib eye with risotto and vegetables-OUTSTANDING. The excitement and energy of the staff was special.
Thank you for a great dining experience.
John from Michigan

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ottawa, Canada
“Excellent choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I bought a gift card on line for 1/2 price for this place just to try out. It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for. The food was excellent, the atmosphere excellent and the service excellent.What more could you ask for? I will return and will be happy to pay full price for the privilege.

• Visited June 2013