“Good but on the expensive side” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tara Indian Cuisine

Tara Indian Cuisine
128 Dunlop St E, Barrie, Ontario, Canada (City Center)
(705) 737-1821
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery
Neighborhood: City Center
Québec
“Good but on the expensive side”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

Tara’s
Good indian food on Dunlop. The service was excellent. I had the lamb karma medium-hot (and it was hot!!!) and my friend had the butter chicken. My only complaint is the price as it is quite steep for Indian food. One beer, one bottle of wine (36$), pakoras for appetizer, no desserts, our two dishes were 113$ before tip. Rice and naan are not included with your meal and you have to purchase them as sides.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

71% Recommend
Toronto, Canada
“Nicely spicy cuisine and decor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

We had not been dining out in Barrie because we had a summer full of house guests and barbeques. Last weekend we went back to Tara, always a favorite spot for us. We have been coming back for more than 10 years.
The room is newly beautiful but the food remains familiar and delicious. We shared a mixed appetizer plate and also shared the mixed tandoori selection. Both were delicious and we certainly had enough food to satisfy.
The service was gracious even though the room was full of patrons.
We will be back again soon.

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Barrie, ON
“Excellent !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Well I have recently just started eating Indian Cuisine and have only been to a few places. So I waited to review as now I may compare. Based on the places we have been I would say that the we had the best experience here.The service was great as they attended to all our needs in a timely fashion. The atmosphere was pleasant and comfortable and the food was amazing, The portions were large as we were stuffed. This is where I found my new favorite dish. I had the very spicy chicken madras with Basmati rice and fresh Nann. My colleague who is from India said that it reminded him of Home. We plan on returning soon.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Pembroke
“An unexpected gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

We happened on Tara while spending the week- end in Barrie. We had driven past our initial choice, a very, very busy Chinese buffet and decided instead to go back downtown where we had passed Tara earlier in the day.

From the moment we walked into the newly re-decorated/renovated space and smelled the wonderful aroma in the air, we knew we were in for an experience.

The knowledgeable server helped guide our selection, the "DD" meal which consisted of something from each of the main menu categories: onion baji, soup, vegetable curry, butter chicken, lamb curry, shrimp jalfredi, two kinds of nan and a rice pilaf, follwed by burfi and galub juman (my appologies for the spelling!) Ostentiably a dinner for 2 or 3, we easily fed 4, with generous left-overs brought home.

As impressive as the food was the genuine relationship that the owner/chef and staff have with the patrons, greeting several by name and discussing mutual friends/family. I just wish that we had something as nice in our home town!

Visited July 2013
toronto
“Excellent service and tasty food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Recommended and I've been there a few times with no problems at all. One of my favorite Indian restaurants.

• Visited July 2013