“A great brew pub off Barrie's main street !!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #56 of 386 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: Hamburgers, Pizza, Bar, Brew Pub, Chicken Wings
Toronto
“A great brew pub off Barrie's main street !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I came here with my sister after it was recommended by someone on Facebook. We were staying in nearby Carriage Hills Resort and after walking Barrie's main bar lined main street looking for somewhere to go on a cold August night and finding the scene less than lively we decided to drive the few km and head to Barnstormer Brewing and Pizzeria. It's in a small strip mall with a nice front. First thing we noticed is that the parking lot was packed which is always a good sign. We liked the atmosphere and took the only available table at the back. They had a live muscian playing covers of great songs so for us sitting at a back table that was less noisy was ok. We ordered one of their home brews (forget the name but it was the blonde one top of the menu). I really liked it and would order it again; surprisingly good for me and I usually order Mill St. Organic, Stella, Blue Moon. We split the mixed greens salad with cranberries, pumpkin seeds and goat cheese. Nothing fancy but very tasty and hit the spot... so far so good. We are both huge pizza lovers and couldn't wait to for it. We split a custom pizza with roasted red peppers, black olives, red onions and I forget what else :) . It was 15" and absolutely delicious; the dough was so soft and gooey and had some extra flavouring which I attribute to the possibility of them adding beer into the batter. We have both eaten at some of the trendy pizza places in Toronto like Terroni and Queen Margheretta and think their dough is superior. I am still thinking of it and will try and make it back this weekend when I am in the area again - and possibly bring home a souvenir glass or brew.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Good Food, Great Beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

Had lunch on Aug 10, 2014. Got to try two of their beers. Enjoyed the Billy Bishop Brown Ale. The pizza and "wings" were very good. Overall a great meal.

• Visited August 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Great pub!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014 via mobile

Probably the best friend chicken I've ever had! Lightly breaded, crispy but not greasy. Pizza also good. Enjoyed the basil beer and the IPA's. Great atmosphere. Will be back next time I'm in Barrie!

Visited August 2014
Barrie, Canada
“Great Brewpub”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

This small place in Barrie's south end is now officially my favorite place. They do brew their own beer on site and have a great selection, they have wine and cocktails as well. But the food is truly amazing. Casual fair, pizza, burgers, sandwiches etc, but all done very well in WW2 inspired "mess hall" kind of environment. If you have to wait for a table and you might on a Friday or Saturday night, belly up to the expansive bar, order a beer and the cheese board and relax for the duration.

Visited August 2014
Toronto
“Rough Around the Edges”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

I was hoping that this would be an alternative to the usual sportsbar, roadhouse, bar chain fare prevalent in the area. Tried one of the local brews. It was actually quite tasty.

It's obvious the place is new. Awkward checkout, disorganized staff, bare and cheap decor all distract from the experience. There is a small bar food menu with a strange pizza warmer sitting on the bar. It's a rookie operation. I'll give it time to mature before I return.

Told the server/owner (It was hard to tell who was working here) that they needed a tripadvisor presence. He responded, "Oh, that's only for people who are traveling." I guess no one travels to Barrie.

• Visited May 2014