“Quick visit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 17 hotels in Barrie
New Milton, England, United Kingdom
“Quick visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

I spent a short time at the hotel and thought it was well run and friendly. The staff were attentive and helpful at all times. The food was excellent and well presented. I would recommend this hotel to friends and would return myself.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

81 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
KANATA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

Once again another great experience at the Holiday Inn Express. Clean, comfortable and a great location.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Stayed here while visiting our grand children in Barrie. It has a good location, near restaurants and Shopping if that's your thing. We found the room and the breakfast very good. Our experience with staff was minimal but, friendly and accommodating. We would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

Its clean, comfortable and perfectly located for shopping and most business in Barrie or Borden if you are military. Complimentary breakfast is good. Staff are really friendly. I would stay again. Pool is tiny though, only good for kids to splash around in.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
SkylarCanada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I got into Barrie around 7pm, looked online and saw this hotel had a room available at $119. I went to the hotel and got a room, the manager quoted me $137. I told him about the rate I saw online 5 minutes earlier but he insisted that must have been another room type and that they don't have anything available at that rate. It was late, not worth arguing over $18, so I took the room. I went up to the room and found it left as-is from the previous guests: the bed sheets were used and hanging off the bed, moist towels on the floor and in the shower and used coffee cups on the table. This was 8pm and the room still wasn't cleaned from the previous night! I went back down to the lobby (in the worlds slowest elevator). The girl at the counter said "hmm I dont know how that happened" and gave me a new room...but offered no apology. I went to my new room and the hallways had become the after party for a kids hockey tournament. They all had their room doors propped open running from room to room. I didn't complain, it wasn't too late. I tried getting online but my access code was not working. I tried to call the front desk but the phone was broken....back down to the front desk. I got the proper access code and told her about the phone and the noise concerns. Again, no apologies just "hmm, do you want me to see if someone can look at the phone?". Screw it, I have a cell and wasn't going to get any work done with the noise upstairs so I went for a late dinner. I came back and all the hockey parents had elected the room adjacent to mine as their party room while the kids hung out in the hallways. There are cameras right in the hallway staring right at them, obviously the staff either doesn't look at them or doesn't care. I got online, checked the hotel's website and found the $119 rate was still available. I saw the manager and told him about the rate and he asked which website I was looking at. "Yours" I told him. His response....he actually just looked confused and shrugged his shoulders. The partying went on until after midnight (on a weekday) and the kids left all their garbage in the hallways (see the picture, the staff didn't bother cleaning it either).
Next morning I brought by luggage out to the truck which was parked near the back door and started it up (it was -30C). I tried to go back inside but my card had been deactivated. I walked around the building without a jacket and got my card reactivated. I will not be revisiting this hotel.
My next problem is with Holiday Inn's Corp. I've never formally complained about a hotel stay but this was warranted. These people are almost as bad as the Barrie staff. I explained the problem I had and they said they were going to give me "1000 Priority Club Points". But I realized they never even asked me which stay I was complaining about....they just wanted to get me off the phone. I also realized later how worthless 1000 points actually are...you'd need about 15,000 for one night in this hotel. So essentially they are telling me that I'm not getting reimbursed for my terrible stay, but if I have 14 more terrible stays like that I will earn a free one! This infuriated me more. I called them back. I clearly stated that I wasn't looking for useless points or freebies and that I was offended by the 1000 points they gave me. I told them that I was just looking for some confidence that this was being taken seriously. After a pointless conversation with an operator then a supervisor I walked away with 13,000 points and even more frustration. they didn't even get into the specifics of my stay, Im sure they didn't address it with the Barrie hotel.
Please look at my previous hotel and restaurant reviews. I am a senior contributor. I live on the road about a third of my time and offer very fair reviews. I've never ranted like this or complained to a hotel's head office. I found this hotel dirty, disorganized, dysfunctional and dishonest. My frustration with this hotel is only compounded by their refusal to respond to my complaint fairly.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Barrie, responded to this review, July 8, 2012
Dear SkylarC,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry you received poor quality service from the front desk, not to mention about the noise and cleanliness, which was unacceptable. I have sent you a private message to obtain more information about your stay. I look forward to hearing from you and being of further assistance.

Orlando A
Case Manager
IHGCare
North Bay, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

It was our first time at the Holiday Inn express in Barrie, the rooms were a fair size, the staff was friendly, nice size tv. I picked that area to be close to shopping and it was perfect. Pool was not as big as i thought from the site, but being a long weekend, many people were out, so we had the pool pretty much to ourselves which was nice. Only thing we had problems with was the bathroom, i dont know if this was for every room, the toilet seat had to be up in order to have the door wide open, which was not really a big deal. Nice area, clean, Ive read reviews on the Chlorine smell, but thats normal when your close to any pool, but not in the room areas. Good complimentary breakfast, nice compaired to a lot of high end hotels ive stayed at over night where breakfast wasnt included, for the price you pay, it was worth it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Irvine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2012

I stayed here on business. In short, there are no high-end hotels in Barrie, so this is a good solid choice. Check-in was quick. The room was clean and nice. The full kitchenette would be good for saving money not eating out all the time. The staff was friendly & helpful when I had questions. I would not recommend Jack Astor's across the street for food though it was recommended by the front desk. Check-out was a breeze.

Room Tip: Keep in mind they offer rooms with a full kitchenette. This would be a good choice if staying a whi...