I got into Barrie around 7pm, looked online and saw this hotel had a room available at $119. I went to the hotel and got a room, the manager quoted me $137. I told him about the rate I saw online 5 minutes earlier but he insisted that must have been another room type and that they don't have anything available at that rate. It was late, not worth arguing over $18, so I took the room. I went up to the room and found it left as-is from the previous guests: the bed sheets were used and hanging off the bed, moist towels on the floor and in the shower and used coffee cups on the table. This was 8pm and the room still wasn't cleaned from the previous night! I went back down to the lobby (in the worlds slowest elevator). The girl at the counter said "hmm I dont know how that happened" and gave me a new room...but offered no apology. I went to my new room and the hallways had become the after party for a kids hockey tournament. They all had their room doors propped open running from room to room. I didn't complain, it wasn't too late. I tried getting online but my access code was not working. I tried to call the front desk but the phone was broken....back down to the front desk. I got the proper access code and told her about the phone and the noise concerns. Again, no apologies just "hmm, do you want me to see if someone can look at the phone?". Screw it, I have a cell and wasn't going to get any work done with the noise upstairs so I went for a late dinner. I came back and all the hockey parents had elected the room adjacent to mine as their party room while the kids hung out in the hallways. There are cameras right in the hallway staring right at them, obviously the staff either doesn't look at them or doesn't care. I got online, checked the hotel's website and found the $119 rate was still available. I saw the manager and told him about the rate and he asked which website I was looking at. "Yours" I told him. His response....he actually just looked confused and shrugged his shoulders. The partying went on until after midnight (on a weekday) and the kids left all their garbage in the hallways (see the picture, the staff didn't bother cleaning it either).
Next morning I brought by luggage out to the truck which was parked near the back door and started it up (it was -30C). I tried to go back inside but my card had been deactivated. I walked around the building without a jacket and got my card reactivated. I will not be revisiting this hotel.
My next problem is with Holiday Inn's Corp. I've never formally complained about a hotel stay but this was warranted. These people are almost as bad as the Barrie staff. I explained the problem I had and they said they were going to give me "1000 Priority Club Points". But I realized they never even asked me which stay I was complaining about....they just wanted to get me off the phone. I also realized later how worthless 1000 points actually are...you'd need about 15,000 for one night in this hotel. So essentially they are telling me that I'm not getting reimbursed for my terrible stay, but if I have 14 more terrible stays like that I will earn a free one! This infuriated me more. I called them back. I clearly stated that I wasn't looking for useless points or freebies and that I was offended by the 1000 points they gave me. I told them that I was just looking for some confidence that this was being taken seriously. After a pointless conversation with an operator then a supervisor I walked away with 13,000 points and even more frustration. they didn't even get into the specifics of my stay, Im sure they didn't address it with the Barrie hotel.
Please look at my previous hotel and restaurant reviews. I am a senior contributor. I live on the road about a third of my time and offer very fair reviews. I've never ranted like this or complained to a hotel's head office. I found this hotel dirty, disorganized, dysfunctional and dishonest. My frustration with this hotel is only compounded by their refusal to respond to my complaint fairly.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience Superior Comfort in Barrie, Ontario For the comfort and amenities you deserve, reserve a room at the pet - friendly Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites of Barrie, Ontario. Our hotel is convenient to Highway 400 to keep you connected to the attractions and businesses of downtown Barrie. Lodging here puts you minutes from exciting attractions, like a Colts game at the Barrie Molson Centre or a shopping trip Park Place, Tanger Outlets or to the 400 Market. For an exciting night out, you can visit one of the restaurants or other entertainment in the area or ask us about our free gaming package! In Barrie, you'll also find numerous outdoor attractions, such as the Georgian Downs Racetrack or fishing at Lake Simcoe. Are you traveling on business to Barrie, Ontario? Our hotel is convenient to many corporations, such as Mueller Canada Inc., Canplas Industries Ltd., Royal Victoria Hospital, Georgian College, YOM, Wolf Steel, and Can-Save. You are invited to use the computer and copy, fax and print services in the 24-hour Business Centre near our hotel's lobby. Barrie, Ontario's growing tourism calls for a versatile hotel like ours. We meet the needs of travelers by offering spacious rooms and with triple-sheeted bedding, microwaves, mini-fridges, Flat Screen Televisions and work areas with free high-speed Internet access to keep you connected while traveling in Barrie. Our hotel's Fitness Ctr, indoor pool and whirlpool ensure that you'll enjoy a relaxing stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Agoda, Booking.com, TripOnline SA and Tingo so you can book your Holiday Inn Express Barrie reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Holiday Inn Express Barrie Hotel Barrie
- Holiday Inn Barrie
- Holiday Inn Express Barrie Ontario