“Outstanding!” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #45 of 407 Restaurants in Barrie
Dining options: Reservations
Description: For a memorable evening please relax and enjoy our traditional Italian cuisine. Using much of our local harvest, Gio’s Ristorante has created a menu that’s not so much bound to Italian traditions, but inspired by them. Gio’s will make your visit one to remember. Anyone who has spent time dining around Italy knows how hard it is to transport true Italian character of food to anywhere else. So here at Gio’s Ristorante much of the texture and flavor is tied to the freshness and vibrancy of the ingredients that you almost have to be there to get it. Gio’s captures that essence when cooking Italian food from the heart.
“Outstanding!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

A tiny little place but the food is delicious and its my go to place for italian in Barrie. Order the mussel appetizer...it is to die for!

Visited January 2014

“Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

This is a wonderful little Italian restaurant that serves an excellent meal. Our favorite is the four course Chef's Special. It's a surprise of delights every time we go to enjoy it.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Dinner with Friends”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

We planned a night out with friends and heard good things about this restaurant. Our dining experience was excellent. The food and service were both of a very high standard. We would return here again without hesitation.

• Visited November 2013
Barrie, ONT
“One of the best places to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

We've been here many times to eat and always enjoy it.

The ambiance inside the restaurant is small, low light and intimate. It's never too loud which makes for nice conversation, something that can't be said for a lot of restaurants. On our last visit we decided to try the patio as it was a nice night. While a little louder than inside with the traffic, it was still very nice until the sun went down and the mosquitoes decided they were going to dine with us (or maybe on us would be more accurate).

We decided on the four course taster. I always enjoy these as we can leave it up to the chef to deliver his best. I must say he did an excellent job of doing so. Each dish was excellent.

I particularly enjoyed the salad, a delightful mix of fresh fruit, greens, prosciutto and goat cheese. While not overly adventurous and could probably use a bit of extra in the textures and spices, there remained a delightful mix of flavours, colours and aroma in an easy to eat dish.

The lobster cannelloni was also a treat. I'm really not a big fan of pasta. It's almost never cooked right. As well much of the lobster I've had in this region has been terrible, even bitter. Well, this cannelloni was a delightful exception. He cooked it perfectly and his lobster was superb. Every bite was enjoyable.

The entree was a steak. At first I was very concerned when it was brought out. I wasn't asked ahead of time how I would like it done and I'm extremely fussy about my steaks. On top of that, to me anything above rare is burnt, because most of the steaks around Barrie are not much of an upgrade from boot leather and cooking them to even a medium rare results in a dry, tasteless, inedible mess with the texture of sawdust.

This steak was visually very enticing. Presentation was attended to in pleasing fashion, served on a nice bed of seasonal vegetables and topped with mushrooms and blue cheese. Alas it arrived medium. I decided to give it a try first before I said anything. I must say it was fantastic. Even at medium it was very nice, juicy, full of flavour and a nice texture throughout. This wasn't your average steak by any means. To me the best judge of bad steaks is their taste and texture when they're cool or cold. Because I was busy conversing while I was eating I had the opportunity to put this steak to the test...and it passed. An outstanding cut of beef, apparently very well aged.

The chef cooked the vegetables perfectly, the different flavours and textures fit well together and again, while not an adventurous dish, was really quite enjoyable.

Finally, last but not least is the service. I have never known the service to be any less than perfection and there's no question this time was no different. Timing was perfect, impeccably polite, descriptive of the dish and friendly. They have a great wine list and their knowledge of wines compliments the caliber of the food and service very well.

The older I get, the fussier I get. My wife even says I'm a snob - so maybe in future reviews I'll create a snob-o-meter. In the meantime, there's no question that Gios passes the test every time and I look forward to my next visit.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Definitely the best Italian Restaurant in Barrie!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

At Gio's Italian Ristorante, expect delicious homemade Italian cuisine and attentive service in a very cozy atmosphere. A big shout-out goes to the owner, John, who goes out of his way to make sure you are having a great time and enjoying your meal.

Gio's has become one of my favourite places to dine in Barrie. My husband and I have something different every time and it is one of the only restaurants where the food is consistently top notch and delicious!

My recommendation is to spoil yourself and order "Gio's Tasting Menu" which is a 4-course meal designed by the chef.

• Visited July 2013