This was a time share trade and we didn't know what to expect. Although the resort is well off the beaten path, it is worth the drive. The resort is in an area called Horseshoe Valley and unless you plan on sitting by the pool or taking long nature walks and bike rides, you will need a car. This is a real country! It is a beautiful location with charm and tranquility. You must drive to all the attractions, but that is OK.
The resort is nestled in a private community, but it is quiet and peaceful. There is a large pool and various walking trails. A good portion of the resort is surrounded by woods, but you never feel isolated by the woods. The resort consist of large buildings which house at least 6 units each. The 2 bedroom units have 2 balcony's (the rear balcony runs along the back of the building so really all units can connect from the back. There are also stairs leading down). Some of the buildings could use some minor repairs as they all have wood trim, but it was only superficial repairs.
The units were large and comfortable and very, very clean. Dishwashing detergent and laundry soap were also provided in the rooms. We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit which was really different. The unit is split in two with a common door entrance that then has two additional doors. One leading into the large 1 bedroom apartment unit which has a full kitchen, dinning room, living room and master suite. The other 1 bedroom unit has a bedroom/living area with a small kitchen and bath room. This was a great set up if traveling with older kids or grandparents. We kept both doors open, choosing to close only the main entrance door, and we were still able to do our "own thing".
Niagara Falls was about a 2 1/2 hour drive, so we stayed in the "city" for two days. It was wonderful going back to Horseshoe Valley after the busy Niagara Falls area. There is also Saint Maries of the Huron - very educational and beautiful. The wonderful country side made for enjoyable late afternoon drives. There is a great homestyle restaurant in the area called "Loobies". It has wonderful food and great service. We got to know almost all the staff, including the owner. They were all so friendly. Check their hours as each day is different, but the menu is never a disappoinment.
We loved it here and recommend it to everyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Luxury Condo-Suites only 1 hour north of Toronto only minutes north of Barrie. Family vacations, golf & ski getaways, romantic retreats, excellent nightly rates and more! Oversized Studio suites (400 sq ft) with private balcony and kitchenette. 1- and 2-Bedroom suites (800-1200 sq ft) with fireplace, jetted tub, balcony, laundry. On site pool, hot tub, kids pool, fitness room and activities program 7 days a week. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity so you can book your Carriage Hills Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Carriage Hills Hotel Barrie
- Carriage Hills Barrie
- Carriage Hills Resort Barrie, Ontario