“Great place - need a car” 3 of 5 stars

90 Highland Drive | RR 1, Barrie, Ontario L0L 2L0, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
London, UK
“Great place - need a car”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2006

We stayed at the Carriage Hills Reort for 2 nights just after Christmas, we were staying there as we travelled with freinds who have cousins in the area. We had a 1 bedroomed appartment and it was fantastic, we had 2 bathrooms 1 bedroom, and a pull out double sofa in the lounge. A large balcony. The kitchen was fully equiped with large fridge, microwave, oven and dishwasher too! only thing with this resort is you need a car as there is no shop or restaurant on site - so you need to drive about 10 mins to the local stores to get food etc. about 5 - 10 mins drive is the Horeshoe valley resort, where they have a bar, restaurant and a lot more activities - but you pay more for it - and not having seen the rooms I cannot comment on their accomodation.

all in all Carriage hills is a good resort as along as you are prepared ie have a car and stock up on supplies before arriving. There are some activites on the resort, unfortunately we missed the slight ride as we arrived too late !

enjoy your stay.

Stayed December 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2005

I stayed at the resort while attending a wedding in Barrie. The resort is a bit of a trip from Barrie and a little tricky to find, but lovely! It is in a picturesque setting. The room we stayed in was a one bedroom unit and it was very new, contemporarily decorated and comfortable. The bathtub was very comfortable for two. The kids loved it! The unit was large. The parking was easy. It was extremely clean. No noise. Close to pool and playground. The bbq area was new and convenient. My husband was able to relax after much driving in a very comfortable bed with tv and a fireplace. We are considering buying a share even though we didn't have time for a presentation. It was that nice.

• Stayed October 2005
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2005

We took our daughter and 3 year old grandson for 4 days at Carriage Hills Resort at the end of summer. It was great, the unit was first rate, we had a 2 bedroom unit. We are owners at Carriage Ridge, a sister resort, but this was the first time we have stayed here. The staff were very helpful and the common facilities were well maintained. It is a good place to relax and enjoy the quiet. We attended a number of activities put on by the resort and our grandson loved them. Yes, there are rules, i.e. no pets and maximum number of persons per unit, and I am glad they are enforced. We went on a promotional sales session and got $100 in gas coupons. We said no thankyou to buying additional time and were not hounded for saying no. If you hate listening to sales pitches don't go! We have been an owner for 3 years and have never had any trouble, banking points, staying in other Shell properties or staying in RCI resorts.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2005

This place is the worst resort I've been to. The people who write that Carriage Hills is an excellent resort have obviously not been to a decent resort. Although the staff is friendly, they're very unflexible. I have a family of 5 and they expected us to stay in the tiny little room with ONE bed and a pull-out sofa. I understand the 'no pets' rule but this is the first resort that has actually stated it will 'charge' you if they catch you with a pet. They'll charge you $250 + damages; I like how they say 'charge' and not 'fine'. This place is obviously out to get every penny out of you. There's no wonder Horseshoe Valley disolved their relationship with Carriage Hills; this place is unprofessional and is in a mess. Without Horseshoe they have absolutley NOTHING to do there. No Golf, No Ski, No Hiking or anything for that matter. The ONLY activity they have out is their pool and bbq. This is the first place I've been to that mentions their pool 3 times in their sales package; probably due to their lack of activities in this garbage resort. And beware of their tight security, they have a couple guys in a pickup truck strolling around constantly trying to catch people with pets or people that exceed the maximum occupancy; it's disgusting. Carriage Hills is so low that count even infants as ONE person (only place that I know of that would do that). This means if you have 2 adults, 1 child and 2 babies, they'll charge you extra or make you move into a larger room. And guess what? it costs a lot more for you but does it cost them a lot more that you're carrying a baby? Absolutly not, so why would they do that? Not that I have this problem but friends of ours wouldn't come to the resort with us because of that problem. It's just a hassle staying at Carriage Hills, more than any other resort they state all of their rules in strict and unfriendly manner. I know that sounds dumb at first; but they outline their rules and guidelines in a condecending and unprofessional manner. You'll know what I mean if you try calling in and make a reservation. Anyways, I think you get the point. This place ----. Take my word, Horeshoe is right next to it. If anything go there. And if not, there's tons of places you can stay at, just dont' make the mistake of going to this 'resort'.

• Stayed August 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2005

You don't have to look hard to find a better place to stay than this mess. Unless you like to Ski or Snow board at minus 30 you can find better deals than this one. the rooms were alright, except you couldn't find cheaper audio visual equipment if you tried. Save your money, your time, and frustration level stay anywhere but Carridge Hills resort.

• Stayed December 1999
chicago, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Condolike units and it was very well maintained. We checked in at 2 in the morning and their staff were very friendly and helpful in informing us of the different activities we could do. Although we had gone between the skiing and golfing season, we weren't able to do much of the things we had planned. Their pool, mini-gym, and condo units were very well maintained and relaxing. This is the perfect place to go to to relax. We had a car so we were able to drive to Toronto and the nearby downtown Barrie, which has a very nice beach. Overall, the resort was a very positive experience... I just need to learn to schedule my vacations at the right time of the year haha. Oh yea, they even had computers available in case you need to write emails and get directions and etc. VERY USEFUL!

• Stayed April 2005
Kingston ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2005

I can't believe the whining and complaining I am reading from naive people who have so little confidence or willpower they cannot say "no, I'm not buying a timeshare today" They are obviously only looking for cheap, promotional offers and shouldn't be dabbling in timeshare real estate.
This is a 5 star resort with everything. Huge 2 bedroom accommodations, skiing, golfing, hiking, restaurants, pools, etc etc. Yes - a car is handy if you want to move around the resort grounds or into town - but not essential.
The sales pitch is anything but "high pressure" or unethical. I did not sign up for the promotional deal. I felt that if they were being persistant or if I felt uncomfortable - I would just leave, as I was under no obligation. I began the session by telling my rep that we were interested in a timeshare here, but were not impluse buyers and would not, under any circumstances, purchase today - on the spot. She still spent almost 2 hours with us outlining ownership benefits and took us on a tour.
At the end of the presentation we said thank-you and departed. Now that we know all of the details and have seen the place, we are planning our next visit to purchase.
Bottom line - it is an incredible resort - from the accommodations to the amenities. 20 mins to the Casino, 45 mins to Wonderland, 15 mins to the marina - or never leave the resort. If you are easily pressured, and only looking for a cheap promotional weekend - stay away. If you have the intestinal fortitude to do the presentation without caving in and signing your life away - do it. I'm sure you'll be back for a second trip to purchase a timeshare at Carriage Ridge!!

• Stayed March 2005

Been to Carriage Hills Resort? Share your experiences!