“FUN EXPERIENCE!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
chicago, illinois
“FUN EXPERIENCE!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2005

We stayed at the Condolike units and it was very well maintained. We checked in at 2 in the morning and their staff were very friendly and helpful in informing us of the different activities we could do. Although we had gone between the skiing and golfing season, we weren't able to do much of the things we had planned. Their pool, mini-gym, and condo units were very well maintained and relaxing. This is the perfect place to go to to relax. We had a car so we were able to drive to Toronto and the nearby downtown Barrie, which has a very nice beach. Overall, the resort was a very positive experience... I just need to learn to schedule my vacations at the right time of the year haha. Oh yea, they even had computers available in case you need to write emails and get directions and etc. VERY USEFUL!

• Stayed April 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Kingston ON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2005

I can't believe the whining and complaining I am reading from naive people who have so little confidence or willpower they cannot say "no, I'm not buying a timeshare today" They are obviously only looking for cheap, promotional offers and shouldn't be dabbling in timeshare real estate.
This is a 5 star resort with everything. Huge 2 bedroom accommodations, skiing, golfing, hiking, restaurants, pools, etc etc. Yes - a car is handy if you want to move around the resort grounds or into town - but not essential.
The sales pitch is anything but "high pressure" or unethical. I did not sign up for the promotional deal. I felt that if they were being persistant or if I felt uncomfortable - I would just leave, as I was under no obligation. I began the session by telling my rep that we were interested in a timeshare here, but were not impluse buyers and would not, under any circumstances, purchase today - on the spot. She still spent almost 2 hours with us outlining ownership benefits and took us on a tour.
At the end of the presentation we said thank-you and departed. Now that we know all of the details and have seen the place, we are planning our next visit to purchase.
Bottom line - it is an incredible resort - from the accommodations to the amenities. 20 mins to the Casino, 45 mins to Wonderland, 15 mins to the marina - or never leave the resort. If you are easily pressured, and only looking for a cheap promotional weekend - stay away. If you have the intestinal fortitude to do the presentation without caving in and signing your life away - do it. I'm sure you'll be back for a second trip to purchase a timeshare at Carriage Ridge!!

• Stayed March 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2004

We did not want to buy, but unfortunately we did, due to their non stop pushing. We should have went with our gut feeling and we didn't. That was our mistake and we have to live with it. If we can help anyone from making the same terrible mistake we did, I would feel better. They lied several times in the presentation that we found out later were not even close to being true. We said no, several times and they would not take no for an answer. We were young and foolish. The saleman we dealt with has now been promoted to the top, so I guess they back up lieing to their customers as a common practise. We were told that you could bank your weeks, but after looking in to it we actually can't, we were told that to upgrade to an all enclusive it would be about 20 per day, all resorts are actually 50-75 per day american. We were told the maintance fees would not go up and they have increased lots. We were told that its easy to book a vacation, and they would assist us if we needed help. We tried to get some help and they were no where to be found. The saleman that sold it to us, said he has been promoted and he no longer assists customers in vacation booking. The rooms are nice, but thats about it. There is not a lot to do, so you really need to find a better place to buy a time share from. Its amazing on how many people I Know that hate their time share at carriage hills. If only We had of done the reseach then, but I guess its a learning experience that I will never forget!!!

Fort Erie, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2004

This is a very nice resort! You won't want for anything. My unit has a washer & dryer (not coin operated) a built-in dishwasher, stove, microwave, fridge, gas fireplace and Jacuzzi tub. Even the pots and pans are fine quality.
They pay attention to the details here. You are given laundry and dish soap to start, and your supply is replenished midweek (including paper products). Your towels are exchanged at that time also.
You can walk down from your balcony to the hiking trails. There also is cross-country and downhill skiing, and snow tubing at the resort during the wintery months. I just returned, and while I was there I went on a few nice hikes early in the week without snow and also enjoyed the trails after a nice snowfall.
The Carriage House has an indoor/outdoor pool which was really something to experience in the cold weather. It also has exercise equipment and pool tables, etc. in the game room.
All in all, it's great for people who like an active, outdoor vacation (but the unit is nice if you'd prefer to sit by the fireplace too). Lots of things to do without even having to leave the resort.
If you do want to see the area though, they provide a list of local attractions to choose from.
They take good care of you here!

• Stayed November 2004
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2004

Don't trust this resort ! At best, they have incompetent staff who waste valuable time, in addition to a telemarketing program which rudely interrupts people's home life. At worst, they have unethical business practices. If you care to read further, you can make your own decision...

I thought I would take a leap of faith, and try for once trusting the intrusive and rude telemarketing offer that they made directly to my home phone number.

Against my better judgement, I listetned to their offer to visit their resort and receive a promotional overnight package at a reduced rate.

Carriage Hills qualified my attendance, then later reovoked that qualification, although I truthfully answered all of the qualification questions on both occasions. In my opinion this resort is not to be trusted.

I had decided to accept their offer to attend at my own their marketing promotion expense, and I also suggested a mutually beneficial situation where I would refer another friend to attend their marketing tour, and while on site at the tour I would discuss with them an opportunity for them to donate an overnight stay to a charity fundraising event where between 150 and 300 people would have exposure to their name and resort.

After a lengthy discussion and qualification process which included conversation with the telemarketer AND the supervisor, we all agreed, and everything was set.

Later that week I was called to confirm my reservation, and when I re-answered the qualifying questions, with the same answers I gave to qualify in the first place, I was told that I do not qualify. The sticking point was that I was 2 months outside of their criteria range for 'length of time separated'.

The person who disqualified me said "this happens all the time, which is why we have to have a second qualification call".

So, I spoke to one of their managers of Marketing, explaining that

1 - I was very unhappy that I was lied to, being told that I was able to attend, then was later told I am not qualified to attend, and this in my opinion consitutes unethical business practises

2 - I was very unhappy with the amount of personal time I wasted with their resort

3 - I am embarassed to have to cancel plans with the friend whom I persuaded to attend with me

4 - Their telemarketing staff had agreed to further discuss a mutually beneficial situation where they could assist a charity I volunteer for, and I could help spread awareness about their resort, and by disqualifying me based on a very small technicality, they were losing the opportunity for goodwill and additional exposure

5 - I would tell everyone I know, and as many of the public as I could about my bad experience with Carriage Hills Resort.

The manager was apologetic but felt it was more important to stick to his rules and disqualify me based on the fact that I have been separated for 48 months instead of 50 months, rather than, in the interest of good will and good public relations, apologize for the error his his resort had made, and reverse the disqualification.

This manager also claimed, in direct contradiction to the person who disqualified, that it is rare that they qualify someone then later disqualify them, when the person who did the disqualification said it happens "all the time".

Pity, they lost a potential customer, potential good exposure, and sullied the name of their resort, all over a matter of two months.

Lack of vision?
Un-ethical business practises?
Poor management skills?

The just is out... but certainly this is not a place I would choose to spend my money at!

4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2004

We spent a very good time there. We were for a week and found the hotel far, but nice, clean, warm and confortable. It's about 1 hour far from Toronto, so, get a car.

london, ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2004

This resort is a beautiful, clean, family oriented resort. We just came back and enjoyed some beautiful, unusually warm weather for October.
We really love the indoor outdoor pool, with the outdoor hot tub which is especially nice at night. We also enjoyed spectacular views of Horseshoe Vally during an excursion on a Canadian Hummer Adventure which we arranged to pick us up at Carriage House.
I would like to hear from any owners at Carriage Hills who are interested in renting out their timeshare condominium for a few days in the winter months.

Been to Carriage Hills Resort? Share your experiences!