“Weekend Cottage” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto
“Weekend Cottage”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

It was an awesome drive there. Lovely views, my husband and I enjoyed the whole trip very much. We travelled with 2 other couples.

The cottage type with connected rooms.
There is kitchen, tv, and even an ipod dock.
The masterbedroom also has another tv.
There is also a couch in the main area with a pull out bed.

Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to visit the pool.
But we all had so much fun.
First day we barbequed, the nice thing about this place is that there are shared bbqs, so you don't have to bring your own. very convenient.
We ended up playing poker and cooking that night.
The second day, one couple left.
We ended up buying ice cream from a very good place, I believe it was the kawartha ice cream place right close by the resort.

Same day we took advantave of a little excursion.
Horseshoe valley resort has some amazing activities.
We would have never tried it if it wasn't for the other couple (our friends).
They encouraged us and we ended up zip lining!!!! it was awesome.
I also, tried the OGO BALL , oh my that was quite the experience, i was so scared that i screamed too much... people working thought something went wrong...lol
We also did the rock climbing and mini putting and the maze.
Awesome time.
We got back to the resort made dinner ate, played more poker. GOOD TIMES!

The next day we went for a walk/stroll around the cottage. very beautiful out back there is a small trail.
We got back made breakfast.
Another great thing about this cottage, all pots, pans, utensils, plates, dish washer, soap, washing machine, detergent. All is provided. All you have to do is bring food to cook.
Also, bathroom supplies were provided.

It was sad, but it was time leave!
The most important part is that we all had a very nice time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

We just returned from a long weekend trip to Carriage Hills. Ironically, this trip occurred a week after we were invited to the sales centre for a sales pitch (we were promised on the phone that they were not selling anything "this was just a member update") requesting we buy more property. For a moment, we considered it, but after this trip I am glad we did not.
It is unfortunate, but the exterior is falling apart! When we arrived the first thing we noticed is the significant paint peeling-not a big deal considering the climate-but then I saw towels over light fixtures, being used as some sort of stop-gap repair mechanism! The back patio was a hazard. Wooden planks were stripping off the wall and floor spanning the length of the floor. My daughters got splinters using the banister to go upstairs. It is clear that no one has cleaned or maintained the exterior in a LONG time.
The room itself was lovely as always. Clean and well appointed. Be prepared to wash dishes and avoid the dishwasher unless you wish to wash twice. The washing machine was just as ineffective.
We had dinner at Settler's Ghost. VERY nice! The stuffed zucchini and the pasta were very well done!
The amenities were excellent - the bike ride was really fun and they had a hummer ride special which my kids loved! The pool is also well kept and clean.
Good trip-YES Great trip -NO

Room Tip: The studio is like a hotel room. The one bedroom offers the jacuzzi and more space. If you can take...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Camden, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

We booked the trip with the idea of going into Toronto to do all the "tourist" things. Our RCI catalog listed a "one hour" drive to Toronto. Which I could live with. Turned out to be 1 1/2 hrs. The drive into Toronto wasn't bad, it was driving in Toronto itself that was hectic and tiring. I should have expected that. So, I don't know if I would recommend the resort with that in mind. Once at the resort itself, I wished I had booked things to do up in that area. The Adventure Park, minutes away at the Horseshoe Resort, the zip lining, etc, not to mention the golf courses available, provide lots to do near by. We went in September, so skiing was not an option, but I can easily see that the whole area must be hopping with skiers, snowmobilers etc once the snow falls. My husband and I, being in our 60's were not looking for strenuous activities, but found plenty to enjoy during our stay there. I would go again with the idea of relaxing more in the heated indoor/outdoor pool which was really cool, the sauna, the whirlpool and the spa outside. Trips into Barrie were fun and found a great outlet mall there. The 2BR suite we had was awesome! Very modern, gas fireplace, full kitchen, 2 full baths, etc. The staff was great, very pleasant and helpful throughout the week! Highly recommend this resort, especially during the winter months. BTW, we did the CN Tower, Toronto Zoo, Ontario Royal Museum, the Ontario Science Centre, (the only thing I was dissapointed in) and the Casa Loma Mansion (I liked the best!). The Lobster Trap Restaurant in Toronto had the best crab legs ever!!! My husband raved about the steak & lobster too. Said best he ever had.

Room Tip: As there are no elevators and you have a health issue or an older relative traveling with you I woul...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Mossel Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2011

Room spacious and clean
Staff efficient, cheerful and friendly
Situated close to many lovely small towns
All special requests carried out
Special thanks to front office - especially Jacqueline, Dee, Nicky and Denise.
Rates well with many other resorts we have stayed at in USA

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We have been owners at Carriage Hills for 8 years. This is the third time we have spent a week there in the summer, and the weather this summer made it the best. The two-bedroom lock-offs are terrific for traveling with family. My mother and daughter shared the studio while my wife and other daughter took the one bedroom. Everyone had enough room, and the two balconies were nice to have. We were in a newly-renovated unit (a week earlier), and the renovations are great. If anything, the quality of appliances, cabinets, countertops and so on have been significantly upgraded, including flat-screen TVs in living area.
Overall the property is as nice as always, but the pool will need to some significant renovation in the next few years. In the meantime, it's still a great place for kids to hang out. I don't golf, but clearly the golf courses in the immediate area are beautiful and look challenging. The development of the resort in the valley is good, but I wish they would create some trails from the ridge to the valley, so it wouldn't be necessary to either walk down overgrown ski hills or drive around. The community has just built two new tennis courts at the corner of Horseshoe Valley Rd, and these are available provided you purchase a "membership" for $10 at the pool house, and in return you get the combination to the door. This is a great deal, and the courts are in great shape.
One thing I couldn't help notice is that the roofs and exterior of some buildings clearly needed work. Some work was being done already, and some had been done, so I am assuming it's just a matter of time.
As for location, we used it as a base to take trips out to Midland, Coldwater, Orillia, Barrie, Collingwood and many to Wasaga Beach. The beach is truly one of the world's great beaches: powdery-soft sand that extends at least a kilometer out into the lake before it reaches above 5' deep. Great for young kids, families, all ages really. Beach Area 1/2 has loads of attractions nearby, while Beach Area 6 is much quieter, but all beaches have the same great sand, and the water in August was at least 82-85° F (29° C)--warmer than the pool at the resort! Of course, if you're interested in going farther afield, Toronto is only about 75 minutes drive away.
All in all, we are still happy spending time at Carriage Hills. In fact, the units are so comfortable that even when stuck inside because of rain they feel spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Windsor, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2011

Stayed here with family & friends in August 2011. Between the 2 familiies we had 4 children ages 4,5,6 & 7. We had a 2 bedroom unit which was a 1 bedroom plus a studio together. the rooms were large & clean. This resort is perfect for relaxing with a book or playing golf or if you want a quiet vacation. There is a nice indoor / outdoor pool which was a little crowded. We did not go to the kids craft activity and opted to take the kids for pony rides instead off site at Highview Farms which was about a 15 minute drive away. If you like horses, Highview Farms is a beautiful equestrian facility and I would recommend a visit there. We actually spent 2 days there walking around & petting the horses. There were
no other activites at Carriage Hills so we went to Horseshoe resort which has a kids activity park. But the activities were geared to older kids and the zip line was full. You also can only reserve the zip line in person and not on the phone. There are no restaurants at the resort so be prepared to cook and clean up after yourself or travel into town to eat. There are also no elevators which made moving all of our suitcases and coolers into our 3rd storey unit quite a task. Housekeeping is only mid week but there are washer and dryers with the unit which was very handy. Overall a nice quiet place for a relaxing vacation.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011

Not sure if all the rooms were like this but we were stuck with a room that was extremely small. It was nothing like the photos (this is what I thought it would be like http://www.shellhospitality.com/hotels/carriage_resort/gallery/tn/hills_bedroomth.jpg). It must have been half the size of what was in that photo. We had one king bed with a crummy sofabed across from it. The kitchenette was even smaller than shown, it was one sink and that was pretty much it in the corner by the door. And to confirm, I don't have the family larger suites vs. room I booked confused. I would recommend checking in earlier to have the option to pick a larger room.

On that note, the room was very clean and the bathroom was more spacious than the room.

The pool looked cool with indoor outdoor concept but it was gross by the time we got there (end of the night). The water was cold and there was flaky oily layer on the surface.
The outdoor hot tube was busy but once we found room it was very nice (maybe because it was so dark we couldn't see any nasties in the water.)

Staff was friendly. Overall, good for a one night stay.
Note, horseshoe resort is NO walking distance, it was about 10 minute drive at the Carriage Hill Resort. I believe the Carriage Ridge Resort is ski in/out.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Carriage Hills Resort? Share your experiences!