“Beautiful views from your not so elegant room” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Resort

You added Horseshoe Resort to your Saves list
Horseshoe Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1101 Horseshoe Valley Road West, Barrie, Ontario L4M 4Y8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto
“Beautiful views from your not so elegant room”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We stayed at Horseshoe 2 bedroom condo in Christmas and Summer. The view is beautiful. You can see skiers from your living room and bedroom in winter and in Summer the view of trees and nature is breathtaking.
The rooms need some works done but hey are clean. The staff are friendly and helpful.
As for the adventure park, there are lots of activities for kids 10 and under. The zip lining and the rock climbing is so much fun.
As for the foods and restaurants, they didn't impressed us but he nature and scenery is so beautiful that the food comes secondary specially if you stay in condos and you can make your own food.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Komoka, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

I just found out today that they are updating the condo units we are staying in. Very pleased to learn of this, so desperately needed. However, it might have been nice for the front desk to warn us that the entire floor right above us use jack hammers all day. THEN, when we finally give up trying to have a peaceful day because the construction is so deafening we head out to our balcony to see the sight of smoke, the smell of fire, and the people yelling! I immediately called the front desk and after waiting over a minute for someone to answer we were told they would send a maintenance over to check it out. I ran upstairs to the 5th floor, saw the construction and all the men there said it wasn't them and that the fire was on the third floor. Ran to the third floor to find the 10 men on the patio drinking and laughing because they caught something on fire but told me it was okay. No return call from the front desk or follow up. Oh, and conditioner today would have been nice. My hair is a rats nest now, that smells of smoke and fire. Wow.

Room Tip: Condo units under major construction. LOUD LOUD LOUD. The condo units are all old and dated and fu...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I just checked in and my 2 bedroom condo is very concerning. Stains in the carpet, on the ceiling, the walls. I feel like I have been transported to a place from the 1980s that hasn't been touched since. It's rather gross. The lobby has broken looking luggage carriers, the floor has warped and lifted tiles, the paint is peeling. No iPod Dock (brought my own thankfully), the pool is empty and looks dated and unkept decking. Gahhhh! Can I even stay here two nights?

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2014

I have stayed there quite a few times and the updated room was pretty nice. Always quite and a good sleep. They have some really nice beds. Shower and tub for 2 was awesome. Overall it's a good place for a couples getaway.

Room Tip: The food in the crazy horse needs some help. Silks in the main lodge is decent.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

We just got home from a stay here, off season for a wedding. We had one of the newly renovated rooms. Cost was $180 for the night which was steep considering it was a "wedding rate". The room was just renovated. At first glance it looks well done and fresh. But...looking closer they sure did cheap out! The new caulking was cracking, partially missing and/or applied by amateurs. The stucco ceilings were just done. None of the old fixtures removed, stuccoed over. Trim missing, etc. Anyways, you get the idea. The experience overall was average. The food at the wedding was quite good I must admit. Overall, I wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again for the price. For $100 you can stay at the Hilton downtown Toronto and its half the price as staying here!

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

I've been a season pass holder at this resort for a few years now. After finishing up the season this year I won't I will renewing next season.
- Inconsiderate resort staff have verbally abused me after I confronted them on blatant discourteous acts. Off-duty resort staff, wearing resort uniform, pushed me an my family while jumping the cue, while waiting in line for the lifts, causing my 4-year old son to fall over. I raised my concerns to senior management, by registered mail, that went unanswered.
- ski patrol on several occasions nearly ran over my son with their snowmobiles, both on the slopes and in the parking lot.
- patrons of this resort are either unskilled and dangerous on the slopes, or are very aggressive and don't respect the rules and conventions of the slopes, as mentioned above, including the resort staff.
- lifts are slow, unmaintained and antiquated. For several weeks one of their fast lifts was only working at 1/4 capacity - only allowing people to board every second chair and the speed was reduced.
- trails were not groomed as frequently as I would expect.
- I put my son in lessons at the kids coral ski school. Paid for a 1 hour lesson only to see they had less than 15 minutes on the slopes with their instructor - they spent the other 45 mins inside for whatever reason. We, and many irate parents demanded a refund which we did obtain.
- Restaurant service is slow and inefficient. Some wait staff are inattentive. If it is busy don't expect even the most basic service levels. Food is decent however, when you get it.

I have spoken to shift supervisors throughout the season on the above and other concerns I won't mention here, with a standard response "It is hard to get good quality people to work here" and that there is a problem with the screening of applicants.

If you are coming this way to ski, I highly recommend going somewhere else, such as Moonstone or Blue.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2014
Thank you for your patronage and for posting your comments.

I did receive your letter in January and left messages at the numbers provided. l will say publicly that we took immediate action on your concerns with the staff member and the other pass-holder involved in the incident you reference.

I respect your decision to choose other options for skiing and will not engage in a public debate on each of the points you raise in your commentary. I will reply in kind with a letter to you, as perhaps I should have done earlier.

Sean
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We had a good time out of the city at this quiet and fresh snow fall covered resort, however upon my second visit to this resort I was far from impressed.

Upon arrival we were happy to hear that our room was ready early. However key programing systems were down and we waited almost two hours for our keys to be delivered to our room, to then find out that the hill closes at 4:30pm!!! What a waste of an afternoon! Had we known we would not have sat around waiting and twiddling our thumbs.

It would have been nice to know this upon check-in, or even better, before booking! After all, it is a ski resort! What do they think people want to do? Sit in the room and watch tv?? NO THANKS!

Also - the key problem continued... our room was situated at the very end of the building on the third floor; a good 5-10 minutes from the concierge desk when factoring in the elevator wait times and the walk down the long hallway. With no emergency or courtesy phones in the hall ways, we had to walk down to concierge THREE times..yes that's right.. THREE TIMES to have our keys programed because they were not working. We had even asked for a neighbouring room to call down to front desk for us so they could come up and let us in, to be told that they can not come to the room, and for us to go back down AGAIN!

We were in our bathing suits and towels, soaking wet, and cold, sitting in the hall way for over half an hour waiting for keys to be reprogrammed, while one person went down to the front desk three times.

With the hills closed, the pool crowded, we decided to watch a little tv in the room before going to diner at the Crazy Horse Restaurant and Bar to find that the quality of the cable connection was so poor that we couldn't even make out the hockey puck while attempting to watch the leafs game on the tv. TIME TO UPGRADE!!

Needless to say, although the resort is clean and well maintained - it needs updating, and much more communication as far as customer service is concerned.

Lighting in the rooms needs to be upgraded as well, it is horrible for women who are trying to do their makeup for a night out in town. Way too dark in the bathrooms, and the hall way/foyer.

Room Tip: If you are skiing/snowboarding request a room closer to the concierge area, there is only one elevat...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for coming up and staying with us again, and for taking time to post your thoughts.

I was not aware of any key problems so I will take this up with our Rooms Manager to see if this problem persists. As for the closing times for the hills, I am sorry that you did not see the postings on our site. I am wondering if you received the weekly events guide at check-in that would have also given you the schedule for all events and times at the resort.

I have forwarded your comments to our team and will be following up to make sure that our communication is more explicit.

All the best,

Sean

Been to Horseshoe Resort? Share your experiences!