“Business stay in a winter hot spot” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Horseshoe Resort

You added Horseshoe Resort to your Saves list
Horseshoe Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1101 Horseshoe Valley Road West, Barrie, Ontario L4M 4Y8, Canada   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Barrie
“Business stay in a winter hot spot”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Horseshoe Valley for 2 nights on a work trip. I stayed in the grey stone building next to the Crazy Horse pub which houses all the condo suites. My suite was spacious and decently clean, but not totally spotless. The bathrooms are outfitted with lots if towels and great toiletries. The kitchen has everything you could want or need to cook and entertain in room. A quick, simple stay. Would come again if I ever find myself coming to ski or snowboard on an overnight trip in Barrie.

• Stayed September 2013
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Thank you so much for visiting the Resort and for taking the time to post your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay and that you would be open to coming back if business brings you back our way.

Please do not hesitate to contact me abour you next stay - and hopefully there is a chance to have some leisure time wtih us.

All the best,

Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Kingston, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We travelled a few hours to enjoy our one and only summer vacation at Horse shoe resort.Where do I start! Hmmmmm, Not informed Warrior Dash (20,000) people was happening that weekend, due to weather we were unable to enjoy our booked segway tour ( because of warrior dash tour could not be rescheduled!)The entire reason we chose Horse shoe was for the segway tour. The segway tour staff were the only bright spot!,Interestingly they are not actual hotel staff. During power outage absolutely While i know that the hotel can not control mother nature however a little compassion for hotel guests goes a long way. NO attempt was made by hotel and staff to help us, emergency lights were not on , had to get to room in dark halls, had to call husband in our room to come and open jammed hall door! that would have been a nice touch in a fire! a woman answering at front desk was hostile when asked if there was news of when power would be back on. I am from out of town and not only managed to talk to someone from hydro and find out power restoration time but they actually gave me a call on my cell to say power was back. We left @ 4 to drive into near by town for food, again it was as if we were invisable. Indoor pool had NO supervision or staff/life guard, after watching two adult males act dangerously with their small children my young daughter and I left, I didnt want to witness someones harm or worse death! YES IT WAS THAT DANGEROUS!! the two men having a foul language conversation while we tried out the hot tub was the straw that broke the camels back. again NO staff was present. We enjoyed the adventure park the next day,we were at the resort until 5 p.m , we had checked out by 10 am in that time no one from the hotel made the attempt to call my cell to tell my I had left a dress and two good towels in our room, I have had friends receive by mail underwear from Europe they had left by accident. Upon booking I had asked for a specific room and did not receive that type, we were put on the third floor that was under construction!! There was actually a piece of paper with " staff only" scribbled on the hall doors leading to our room ( the doors that were jammed shut during the power outage!oh and my favorite part was the barking dog in our hall at 6a.m( not a service dog I will add) sadly the most annoying part is we were sent a email asking about our stay/ experience and I explained the terrible troubles we had and have never had any contact from hotel to at least apologize. NOT worth the money they charge for the level of service and care you get! They may want to go to Great Wolf Lodge and see how its done!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
I would be happy to speak with you personally about your specific experience.

Please contact me directly at the Resort.

Many thanks,

Sean Billing
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

I stayed for four nights the week of August 5th and was very disappointed. We stayed in the run down two bedroom condo unit. The elevator, air conditioning didn't work and wifi was either slow or not working at all. There was a discussing smell in the foyer, stairwell and the room. One of the two chairs on the balcony was broken. Getting to the pool you are treated to dark and dirty hallways, ripped carpet and missing ceiling tiles. The pool is cold and dirty and used by a daycare in the afternoon so forget relaxing by the pool or in the room (windows have to be open because of the lack of AC). The pool by the main hotel was out of order.
The Dark Horse bar was also very dated and smelled, the beer overpriced and service slow.
The fine dining restaurant had a wonderful atmosphere but the service was unbelievably slow and the lobster festival entree was so bad I couldn't eat it so I eat by myself as my family watched. The salmon I had was good and I appreciated it being taken off the bill.
The adventure park is for small children so my teenage daughter had little to entertain her.
I complained about the condo as soon as I arrived and was told they would look at moving us to the main building, nobody contacted me. I complained again checking out and was again ignored. I filled out two surveys sent from the resort and one from the parent company and checked the box "would you like to be contacted by one of our management team" and was ignored. I sent an email to Jaunt.ca who I booked through, they contacted Horseshoe suggesting I be contacted and was still ignored. It is clear the management team knows about the issues but just doesn't care.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We care a great deal about the feedback we receive and I must apologize that your specific feedback has not made it to me until just now. We have a strong record of follow up and you will here from my team directly.

The resort is very much under massive improvement and I am disappointed that you did not get moved to a room that was newly renovated.

Many thanks for posting your comments,

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

The staff are very friendly. Rooms are clean, bathrooms seem to have been recently upgraded. Loved the large glassed in shower. Odd, no coffee pot, but they will bring you one. Odd, ice bucket but no glasses. Beds are very comfortable. They stop serving breakfast at 10:30, if you arrive early you can eat at Loobie's down the street. The other restaurant on the resort does not service breakfast, they open at 11:00 for lunch.

Room Tip: Pick a valley facing room, rather than courtyard (i.e. parking lot & driveway)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us and for taking the time to post your feedback!

We are delighted that you enjoyed the experience and particularly that you found the service to be friendly.

We have removed the coffee makers and now do complimentary fresh brewed coffee in the lobby. As you noted, we can supply a coffee maker if you prefer this. I will follow up on the lack of glasses in your room, this is our standard and it was clearly missed.

We do hope to see you back for more relaxation or for an active weekend on a bike, skis or the golf courses.

All the best,

Ajax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Booked a last-minute overnight golf package to celebrate mine and my husband's first year wedding anniversary. Check-in was quick and friendly - I had told them beforehand that it was our anniversary and were quick to congratulate us upon arrival and pull some strings to get us last-minute dinner reservations at Silk - and a bottle of wine was waiting for us in our large room. We spent the afternoon walking around the resort, playing the fun mini-golf course, stopping for a caesar and a snack at the Crazy Horse, and shopping for some new golf attire at the clubhouse. Golf the next morning was amazing at their Highlands course, and we came home relaxed and happy.

Our only complaint was our experience at Silk. While waiting for our table, we asked the bartender at the lounge for a drink. She completely ignored us for 20 minutes (The affluent-looking foursome next to us was tipping her heavily so I understand why she wasn't willing to give her attention to anyone else) and once we finally got our drinks our table was ready. Once we received our meals I noticed that my steak was rare (I had asked for medium-well) and when the server came back with the steak that had been supposedly placed on the grill again, it was floating in a pool of blood on the same plate it went in on (I know this because she used my breadcrumb-filled side plate to transport the steak) , untouched. The server was apologetic, and reimbursed us for my meal. The best part of the meal was the sticky toffee pudding, which was awesome. My husband's dessert, the apple parcel, turned out to be a run-of-the-mill apple blossom.

Because of the great service we were given at the Hotel, we will definitely return to the Horseshoe, but will likely try our hand at another restaurant when it comes to dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on your anniversary and thank you for spending it with us!

I am so glad that you found our new accommodations, service and activites to be so much to your liking. There is so much to do at Horseshoe and we are very pleased you enjoyed it so much.

I will follow up on your concerns in Silks on the service and the presentation of your steak. I will be speaking to the Chef and to our Restaurant Manager to follow these up. It is my hope that you would give us another opportunity in Silks - you could get more sticky toffee pudding.

Wishing you another happy year,

toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

Just returned from an overnight at Horseshoe Resort - a far cry from when I skied here on weekends as a kid! I can't say enough about how cheerful and helpful the staff were from the front desk to the gift shop and in the restaurants. The room was lovely, spacious and spotless. There was no shortage of activities, although my kids were just happy with the pool and walking around the grounds after dinner to see the horses.

Only disappointments were lack of wifi in the room that could not be resolved in spite of the efforts of the front desk staff and no Disney channel for the kids.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for bringing the family to Horseshoe and for posting your review!

I am really pleased to read about how much you enjoyed the activities, the room and the service. We hope you make this visit a regular occurence.

I will investigate the WIFI concern. This is not a typical problem for us. We did have some challenges following the recent electrical storms, but these were quickly resolved. I am sorry that the system was not working during your stay.

Looking forward to your return,

Burlington, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

We purchased a 2-night package in the 2-bedroom condos through WagJag which was a great deal including a bag of groceries and 4 passes to the Adventure Park. The condo was very spacious with separate bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a pullout couch, and a full kitchen. They do need updating though. Quite worn and very different from the main hotel. The outdoor pool was quite buggy so we stuck with the indoor pool on day two. We all loved the zip line (but you must weigh 75lbs or more to enjoy this). Our youngest wasn't able to do the zip line and enjoyed mining for gems instead. The breakfast buffet was yummy, thought pricey. The people working on the main desk were lovely and very attentive. If not for the condition of the condos I would have rated it higher, especially for the price we paid for the WagJag voucher.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for bring the family up to Horseshoe to enjoy the last few days of summer!

We really appreciate the feedback and the positive review of the service at the Resort. As you note, the price of the Condo units does reflect that they are dated, particularly when contrast against the newly renovated rooms at the Inn.

We do hope to see you back in 2014 - for ski or for the new summer attractions that will be in place. Many thanks,

Sean

Been to Horseshoe Resort? Share your experiences!