“Cold evening buffet” 3 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #44 of 373 Restaurants in Barrie
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: International, Canadian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Local cuisine, Families with children, Bar scene, Dining on a budget, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located inside the Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel and Conference Centre
BARRIE
“Cold evening buffet”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

No, not the buffet, the weather outside!
We were looking for a nice meal out, but our first and second choices were full up for Barrie-licious. Tattingers was most definitely not. Hmmm...should have been our first hint.
As we had never been, although I stayed in this hotel years ago for a week, we decided to give it a try.
The restaurant is located up a set of stairs from the main lobby of the Holiday Inn hotel.
It looks as though it has been renovated more recently than the hotel; there's a nice big fireplace, and there may have been a view if it had been daylight. Other than that, it is definitely unassuming. Seating is not particularly comfortable, nor is it upscale in any way.
We were somewhat shocked, therefore, to find the buffet running $26 per person, and the Barrielicious menu to be the same. As we were not interested in the Barrielicious menu, both of us went with the buffet.
It consisted of some sort of soup (we didn't try it), about half a dozen slightly differing types of leftover-pasta salad, some fresh salad alternatives (iceberg lettuce + the usual toppings, with salad dressing which you poured out of not well-maintained tall bottles...ewwww), 2-3 hot vegetables, an unnamed chicken dish, and prime rib and yorkshire puddings.
The prime rib was on the bone, and there was no one available to slice it, so you either hacked it up yourself (I'm no butcher) or helped yourself to other's leavings. I had a couple of pieces of leavings, my companion did his own hack job.
The chicken was quite nice, although we never could really figure out what it was; the prime rib was good, but for me the lack of an au jus took it down about 3 notches.
There were also about 3-4 desserts (various cakes) and some random bits of tired-looking fruit for dessert.
Our server was pleasant but kind of distracted; our initial drinks were not refilled and an after meal coffee was never offered (I had to ask).
For these prices, we would definitely not return. There are SO many other good restaurants in Barrie.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
GMHIBARIIE, General Manager at Tattinger's Restaurant, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
The management at Tattinger's Restaurant want to thank you for your candid review.

“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My girlfriend and I went to Tattinger's Restaraunt inside of the Holiday Inn last night to try out their "Barrielicious" menu. The night prior we also tried out the Barrielicious menu at Sixteen Front in Orillia. Although both were lovely atmospheres, we both came to the absolute agreement that Tattinger's dining atmosphere, service, as well as culinary skill in the food served to us was outstanding. As I am currently in the Culinary Management program at Georgian, I wanted to test my new knowledge as well. I ordered the Slouvaki Caesar for my app, which I could tell was prepared fresh for each order, and the dressing was house-made which proved the quality of the food. I also ordered the Lamb with Sundried Tomato and Garlic Mash with Vegetable Julienne. The fact that Lamb was even on the menu impressed me, and when it was served to me I was impressed even further. Lamb isn't the easiest thing to cook, and all 5 small portions of it were perfectly cut and cooked evenly. The potatoes were delicious and especially for someone who usually doesn't finish all of them- the plate was clean and that was remarkable. Vegetable Julienne also requires a great amount of knife skill, handling and control to create precise and accurate Julienne cuts of each vegetable. Every one was the same, and sauced correctly. Although I did finish the potatoes, I did go home with a healthy portion of lamb- and not because I didn't like it, but because of the size of the portions we recieved. Especially during a promotion like this, where restaraunts offer a cheaper menu for the same food, some such as Sixteen Front proved to lessen the portion size by at least half, which left us a bit unsatisfied. Throughout our meal our server Jenny was the only one working six other tables. She did an outstanding job not only in the serving of our meals, but also checking in with us throughout our meal just to make sure everything was precise and if there was anything at all we would appreciate more. My girlfriend got the Curried Wing Pops to start and the lamb as well, which also came with an Aioli sauce. I tried the wing pops and although I do not have much of a taste for curry, the wing pops were full of flavour but not too overwhelming which is what I usually find. She also loved the lamb, and rarely I swear do I see her finish a plate and the only thing left were bones. As someone who has been perfecting Aioli's lately, the sauce was delectable and went perfectly with the lamb, tasting one way before adding the lamb, another with the lamb, and an entirely different flavour after eating it. If you can still create numerous flavours even after the fact, that food is amazing in my books. The finale of it all was the desert, Apple Blossoms with Caramel Sauce and Fruit to garnish with a side of Real Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. While our server brought out to us our coffee to settle with the dessert, the Chef's Chris and Paul delivered our deserts to our table themselves, ensuring the satisfaction I'm sure their server relayed to them. This showed me that not only do these people care about their food, but they care about the people eating it which are both extremely important things. The one stayed, I'm not sure of his name but I told him how amazing our meal was and how appreciative we were, and he went on to ask if we tried any other Barrielicious menu's and if possible to critique his next to theirs to see how they were doing. Feedback is the number one thing you need to make a restaraunt strive, so that you can do always do better. My entire dining experience here was so calming and absolutely amazing. Upon leaving, our server also told us about their Sunday Brunch which is something that I myself enjoy more than anything. Jenny even as just a server, showed that she cares about the progress of this restaraunt by promoting other menu's as well. Not only did she promote the brunch, but she also went a step ahead in showing that she truly does care, and understand the need for feedback, by handing my girlfriend and I a TripAdvisor/Review it card, and asking if we did have a moment if we could possibly fill out a review. I was absolutely delighted.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you very much for your complimentary review!
“Picky Eater Pleased:)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Tonight was my husband and I's first visit to this restaurant. We went for Barrielicous and I ordered off the Barrielicous menu but he didn't, being a picky eater he went with the regular menu because "the barrielicious menu didn't have enough choices." So he chose the chicken parmesan and after a few minutes of complaining that we went there we got our food and he started devowering his chicken parm. The lady ho served us was absolutely pleasant and made it such an amazing first experience and he even went on to tell her that his chicken parm was probably the best he's had in Barrie, and he would know since that's all he ever orders, well that or chicken wings:)

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
GMHIBARIIE, General Manager at Tattinger's Restaurant, responded to this review, December 13, 2013
Thank you so much for your comments!
“Most Enjoyable”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We went for dinner during the Barrielicious promotion. It was an excellent meal at a reasonable price. Hubby had the souvlaki caesar and lamb chops, I had the tortellini meatball soup and chicken oscar. Naturally we had to try each others meals, all of it was excellent and the apple blossom for dessert completed the package. The wait and kitchen staff were friendly and efficient, we were there on the first night of the promotion and the cook came out to talk with us, and others, to ensure that the meals were to our satisfaction.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you so much for your comments!
Toronto, Ontario
“Great find.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Went there on a monday night and the restaurant was completely empty. We stayed anyway and had a great meal. Escargot and butternut squash soup to start was fantastic. I had the curry p pork lasagna which was absolutely fantastic, would highly recommend. Wife had salmon and shrimp. Unfortunately the salmon was way overdone but the shrimp and sauce were great. The chef came out to chat for a while after the meal, which was nice. Overall a great find, even if its in a Holiday Inn!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
The management at Tattinger's Restaurant appreciates you taking the time to leave such a complimentary review of our hotel. We work hard to maintain a high level of service for all of our guests and its comments such as yours that lets us know we are right on track!