“Worth the low rate we paid” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2 Trips, 1 Night Free*
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Barrie
St. Catharines, Canada
“Worth the low rate we paid”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

We got a very good rate for our group when we stayed for a soccer tournament in July. Beds were comfortable. The room was very basic with a small fridge that we had requested. Carpets need cleaning. Very basic breakfast, no pool, difficult to entertain a group of kids.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if you are not comfortable with stairs be sure to get a ground floor room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CIB-Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for your comments.

We hope to see you back again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Tillsonburg, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

This review is from my visit to this hotel this past winter. A few colleagues and I had booked two rooms as we were participating in a curling tournament that weekend. I had reserved both rooms under my name and credit card and made the reservations over the phone as we were able to get a discount because of the tournament.

Upon arrival the man at the front counter told us that only one of our rooms was ready as the second one was still being cleaned, therefore we grabbed the keys and unloaded all of our luggage in the one available room and headed over to the rink for the day. At about 10:30pm we returned and attempt to check in to our second room as we told the front desk we would. The lady proceeded to tell me that our reservation only showed the one room, that we did not book two rooms and that the hotel was full for the night and they could not offer us a room. After approximately 10 minutes of me asking this lady how 12 hours ago I had two rooms reserved and now only have one, she continued to tell me that she couldn't do anything and that her manager would be in at 7am and I could speak to the manager regarding the situation.

...... It is 10:45pm by now and the lady at the front desk told me that I could speak to the manager at 7am... SERIOUSLY?! The lady continued to be not help at all, she didn't even offer to call other hotels to see if they had any rooms or ANYTHING! The other female colleague I was with decided to let our two males colleagues have the one room and her and I walked up the road (at minus 20 degrees) to the Holiday Inn. The holiday was a bit more expensive however I have never been so thankfully for a hotel!

This experience really made me question this hotel... how do you just give away someones room. And say it does happen, technology and all... how is it okay to be completely useless and not even offer us a phone book to call another hotel in the city OR tell use we can speak to her manager in 8+ hours.

Beyond disappointed.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
CIB-Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank You for writing a review about your experience this past winter.

My Sincerest apologies about your experience. I understand how this experience would have been frustrating for you.

As you can understand, without more information, I have no way of investigating this incident. However, I cannot apologize enough.

I do hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can provide you with a more superior and better experience.
Smithville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stay at this hotel on June20th & 21st 2014 & would not stay there again.First the carpets in the halls as well as in our room need to be changed ,they are so dirty and stained.There was only seating for 4 people in the suite, as there was suppose to be 5 of us this would have posed a problem if all 5 would have been there. One person was sick the morning we were leaving. There was no table and chairs in our suite & when I went down to inquire as why there wasn't any the young fella at the desk looked up something on the computer & after about 5 mins informed me that there wasn't any for this particluar suite. I asked then what if the 5th person had come where was he to sit as the only other seat was the computer chair other than a 3 seater couch?? I asked if we could at least have another chair such as a sofa chair but he said he would check but couldn't guarantee it. Never did get one. The air conditioner in the bedroom wasn't the greatest either. Also on Saturday as we were getting ready to leave for a wedding the cleaning girl came and we told her we would be leaving in few minutes, when we returned all she had done was change the towels she didn't even clean the bathroom as the sink still had hair & toothpaste in it.The morning we were leaving there wasn't even any place to sit for breakfast & with no table in our room we checked out and went to a restaurant for breakfast even though it came with the reservation.Needless to say we never left a tip.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before checking in as the postings for the rooms are not what is advertised.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Randy S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank You for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent experience.

Our apologies that the Suite that you had reserved did not have adequate seating for both you and your party. The specific suite that you had stayed in is not advertised to have a dining room table with chairs, though I will look into this option for the future.

We do apologize that you weren't able to sit in the breakfast area. Trays are provided for guests to bring breakfast back to their rooms when traffic is heavy in that area.

We will review the matter with our housekeeping management to ensure that future guests do not experience similar issues.

I do hope you enjoyed the wedding and hope that the remainder of the summer is an enjoyable one.
Mississauga
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Having stayed at this hotel several times in the past this time I was extremely disappointed!
the room looked as if it had been poorly vacuumed and my first impression was that it wasn't very clean. I had reserved four rooms at the time of booking, six months in advance of our stay, and had requested rooms with refrigerators. On check-in I was advised that there were no refrigerators in our rooms as they had been moved to the rooms that had workers staying there for long term stays. Of the two ice machines one was broken and the other one was usually empty. The back door exits, although they had disposal bins for cigarette butts, were littered with butts all over the ground. When this was pointed out to the management there was no effort to even clean this up. One of our party's room was not serviced on the day that they were away. They front lobby and a staircase to the lobby was littered with cereal that had been taken from the lobby. Although the staff was friendly there were no offers of compensation for any of our inconveniences. This Comfort Inn is certainly not upholding the high standard that this chain usually offers. Unfortunately we will not be booking here again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Randy S, General Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your recent stay at our hotel and bringing these issues to the attention of Management.

First, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Due to the time of day that you had arrived at the hotel, Guest Services did notify Management first thing in the morning. Sorry that we could not relocate your room due to full occupancy in the hotel last weekend.

My apologies that the carpet was not vacuumed to the highest standards, Superior room cleanliness is always our top priority.

One of our ice machines is currently awaiting repairs and parts have been ordered by our repair company. Unfortunately I cannot expedite this process as I am sure you understand. The other machine does produce ice, and due to the volume of guests in the hotel using the available ice machine, it may have been in the process of producing more ice at the time you visited. None-the-less, this did create a negative impression during your stay and for that I do apologize..

Several guests choose to smoke around the door entrances/exits, and this can create issues for non-smoking guests, and I assure you that the cigarette butts are cleaned daily. I did clean them up the morning of your departure.

Overall, my greatest apologies for these above experiences. I would still like an opportunity for you to have a much better experience. We will do our best to ensure that your experience will be a more enjoyable one!
Kitchener, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

Hair on the bed, the cover was frayed, and even though got a non smoking room, the bed smelled of smoke because they probably wash it with bedding from smoking rooms. Pillows are very soft and small. Room is cold.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
CIB-Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, May 9, 2014
Thank You for taking time to write a review on your stay with our hotel.

My sincerest apologies for finding a hair on the bed.

We have recently converted all of our bedding and pillows. We now offer two types of pillows, both firm and soft, and the pillows are much larger. Our bedding has been converted over to duvets and coverlets, and I am sure that you will find the new bedding program much better.

Unfortunately the room temperature preference changes from guest to guest, as we do our best to control the temperature for arrivals.

We do hope that you will return again to try out our new bedding and breakfast menu items.
Windsor, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

Spent two weeks here on business. Overall it's an okay place to get some rest. Decent breakfast and all but one of the staff were very kind and helpful. I'll stay again on my next visit because of it's location, reasonable rate and generally warm service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
CIB-Manager, Guest Relations Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank You for completing your online review about your two week stay with our hotel.

Your feedback will be relayed back to our staff so that we can ensure customer service always exceeds expectations.

Each day we are serving different menu items for breakfast including bacon, sausage, scrambled eggs, patties, omelettes and pea meal bacon. We are glad that the breakfast experience for you was decent.

Currently, all of our bedding has been upgraded so that we can provide guests with a more satisfactory rest.

We look forward to having you back again for your next business trip!
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2014

We stayed at the Comfort Inn for a volleyball tournament March 3-5. The hotel had a great rate for those staying for the tournament and included a decent hot and cold breakfast. The room was an adequate size for two, and for the most part the hotel was quite comfortable.It was located in a great location right off the highway and close to many eateries. Nevertheless, there were a few issues. Our toilet got plugged 3 times during our 3 day stay and despite prompt service from maintenance they never really did resolve the issue. Although cleanliness was not an issue, I did notice a morsel of muffin that remained on the carpet in the hallway for the 3 days. For the most part, the front desk were friendly and dealt with all our issues satisfactorily.The bed and pillows were extremely soft, and didn't lead to a good night's rest. I don't think we'd return, but all in all there could have been worse places to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
CIB-Manager, Front Office Manager at Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road, responded to this review, March 8, 2014
Thank You for writing a review on your recent stay at the Comfort Inn & Suites Barrie.

We are happy that the stay during the Volleyball Tournament was satisfactory, and do apologize about the maintenance issue with the toilet. We do our best to maintain cleanliness in both guest rooms and public areas.

Our bedding program is being updated in the late Spring/ Early Summer, and we will have two pillow choices on the bed both firm and soft, as-well-as duvets and new coverlets.

We do hope that you will return should you be in the Barrie Area again.

Been to Comfort Inn - Barrie/Essa Road? Share your experiences!