“Strange location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 17 hotels in Barrie
London, UK
“Strange location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

My partner and I stayed overnight here while on a road trip. On arrival the hotel looked modern on the outside. The location was a bit strange, being near a retail park and just off the highway. First impressions were quite good but our room on the ground floor had a patio door which opened out on to the car park. Just like the other Best Westerns we used on this trip there was a musty smell in the corridors and room and the decor was dated and tired. The bathroom was old-fashioned and not quite clean enough. There were marks on the bedroom carpet and chair. Maybe we were just unlucky with the room as I have read several good reviews of this hotel and in other respects it has everything you need: pool, internet room, fitness centre etc. The rooms have a fridge and microwave but the overall feel is of a motel rather than a hotel. Someone needs to take the Best Western in hand and give it a makeover and a shake-up as it is fast being overtaken by the Hampton Inn and Marriott group.

Room Tip: Not a great view and not much privacy on ground floor rooms
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Anil1964, Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review! We appreciate your time in doing this. Our standards at the Best Western are very high and we are apologetic that your room did not meet the expectations you had for your stay. Some of our guests prefer our ground floor rooms as they enjoy the convenience of easy access and trouble-free loading in and out of the room. We also have other great rooms on the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th floors and they serve different needs and priorities to our guests. We suggest you stay in our executive tower on your next visit. All of our rooms come complete with a mini-fridge, microwave, and coffee maker, all to allow our guests to feel at home while they are with us. We hope you return to stay with us on your next trip to Barrie, as we would love to show you another side of Best Western. Our location is just four minutes from the downtown shopping, restaurant and entertainment core, and the beautiful waterfront with all its parks and walking trails around Kempenfelt Bay. We are extremely close to The Keg and Casa Mia (where you receive a free appetizer by simply showing your Best Western room key). We hope you will visit is again to experience all that we have to offer.

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Sudbury, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

It was my first time staying at this Best Western and I would compliment this location on having a great clean and comfortable beds (I slept like a baby) and a great pool and business services. I stay at about 50 different hotels a year and I will put this one on my list of favourites for Barrie. First notch service and well appointed rooms and a great full breakfast, too!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Anil1964, Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
We appreciate you taking the time to share your comments. We are very pleased your first visit with us was met with such appreciation! We are very honoured to be your host each and every time you visit Barrie as your home away from home. Both myself and our staff look forward to your next visit.
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Recently opened a business in Barrie which requires overnight stays once or twice a week. I had several options but chose this hotel based on my first impression. I find the entire staff to be very courteous and professional. What separates them is the genuine caring they have that my room and my stay is always top notch. This is a business that totally gets the "art of customer service" and it makes the stay away from home that much easier. My room is always 100% clean, if I forget a razor or a toothbrush they have that covered too. We bring out of town staff in as well and the comments are identical. Our company will not be staying anywhere else. From the cleaning staff to ownership I thank you very much for such a consistently enjoyable experience.

Room Tip: The tower suite rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Anil1964, Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Thank you very much for your business! We greatly appreciate the opportunity to be your hotel destination while you're in Barrie. Your experience is very important to us, and I am delighted to pass on your kind remarks to the staff. Each and every week you stay, its our drive to ensure your stay with us meets and exceeds your expectations! You and your guests are welcome anytime.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Stayed 3 days, the staff were super and the beds were great! Would definitely stay again.. Liked the 8 to 10am open breakfast as well.. Tv service exceptional too throughout the whole hotel! Shuttle service available super quickly when I asked the front desk.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Anil1964, Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Feedback like yours rewards the staff for a job well done. We are always excited to hear a guest's expectations were met and exceded, as that is our goal. Our full hot breakfast is now 6:30am to 10am everyday! When you are back in Barrie, we would love to have you stay with us again.
Sudbury, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Hello,

I am beyond upset over the fact that I was bitten by bed bugs in this Barrie Best Western hotel. I have had a doctor check it out, and we had a professional come and insect our home. I was lucky that I kept my bag in the back/box of my truck so I did not bring them into my house. When I called the hotel branch, I was told they would look into it at it would take several hours. I was called back fifteen minutes later and told that there head of house keeping knows what to look for and they could not find anything, and that I should google bed bugs. I am livid! A doctor and a professional exterminator have told me what the bites are but the manager on shift at the hotel is pretty much saying I am in the wrong. Up untill this trip I have loved the Best Western chain, but I will never stay again. I know that bed bugs are everywhere and no one can help it if they come into a hotel, but to not believe me is unreal!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Anil1964, General Manager at BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
We wanted to address your concerns in regards to your recent posting on Trip Advisor. Best Western Royal Oak Inn encourages guests to write their comments as we appreciate their input as we strive to be our best!

Based on your comments, we immediately had our staff thoroughly strip and search the room. We also searched the rooms on either side of the guest room in question. Our certified staff was not able to find any signs of bed bugs. We also contacted a professional exterminator company to investigate and examine the rooms. All parties involved have confirmed there were no previous signs of bed bugs and absolutely no bed bugs in the rooms. We can provide a certified copy of the certificate to assure you that the rooms have been inspected and are free and clear.

We are empathetic to your concerns but wanted to ensure you these bites did not come from our property. We hope you will visit us again in the future and continue to be a loyal Best Western guest.
Port Dover
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

The hotel is clean. We had an issue with the keys when we first got there, but it rectified immediately. I requested a ground floor room as we were on a motorcycle tour to Barrie and surrounding area. They are biker friendly and had a great room around the back out of the way from other cars and trucks. Our BIKES were parked right outside our sliding glass doors. We were able to keep the curtains open and keep an eye on them all night. The pool was clean, although a bit small and a bit shallow but was still able to do short laps. The hot tub was nice after a days RIDE. The "full breakfast" was ok. The scramble eggs were a bit tired but the rest was good and of course they had a waffle maker.
Check out staff Arlene was great and split our bill on 2 different credit cards. It is located right off the 400 on the Dunlop East exit. The 1st block. Beer store and restaurants close by. Gas station just up the street.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room around back. Nice and quiet if you keep the sliding doors shut.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Hamilton, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

Our family recently stayed here overnight while attending a wedding. The hotel is nicely decorated, convieniently located and has very accomodating staff. The property is clean and the breakfast ample (extra seating provided too). The front desk staff were very helpful. Good climate control in the room. I would recommend this property for a good night's rest.

Room Tip: Book ahead for summer weekends.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to BEST WESTERN Royal Oak Inn? Share your experiences!