“Leisure Stay ...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto, Canada
“Leisure Stay ...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

The service at this hotel was great! The front desk agent was very friendly and helpful. We asked for extra towels and housekeeping had them to us within minutes (faster service than I have seen in many luxury hotels). The kids loved the pool! In the past we have stayed at other hotels in Barrie, but this is by far the best one yet.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you very much for your comments! We were delighted to have you stay with us, and are glad that you enjoyed the pool. Prompt service is very important to us here, and are glad that our team was able to help you out as quick as possible. We look forward to your next visit at the Holiday Inn Barrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
Colborne, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was extremely clean and comfortable. They were able to accommodate our party of five in one room which some hotels will not. We asked for a late check in and a cot to be added to the room and everything was ready for us when we arrived late and tired from a long trip.

I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

It was nice to get the family out of the house and out of the heat at the same time by having a little "weekend getaway" at this hotel. The night we stayed was pleasant, and the kids loved swimming in the massive outdoor pool!

Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I recently stayed in Barrie for a week and it was a great experience. The rooms were clean, beds were comfortable, location great and service was good.
Cheryl, the Group Sales Manager was fantastic! - Thank you for the extra effort.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Barrie on Business or Leisure.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Napanee, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is in a great location , right off the 400. The buffet breakfast is decent. The beds were very comfortable as well as the pillows. There is free wifi, indoor & outdoor pool & hot tub. Good value. Restaurants close by including Tim Horton's and Mandarin. Good value.

Room Tip: If you stay in the older section you can have a patio or balcony.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have stayed here over 5 times throughout the years... and even some when I was a kid. This place still offers everything needed to provide a successful and satisfying trip, whether it be for business or pleasure. The breakfast in the morning is still a decent price (just like 10 years ago) and offers a wide selection of buffet foods. The rooms were always clean and up to standards so I never had any complaints. I don't visit Barrie very often anymore but I will stay here again if the opportunity arises.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
GMHIBARIIE, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you very much for your review! We look forward to having you back the next time you are in Barrie!
Sudbury, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

Reluctantly stayed here again for a few days (group booking via my work) and was faced with a poorly presented room.

How poorly? I walk into the room I was given and was overwhelmed by the strong smell of urine! I immediately ask a co-worker to come into the room to confirm before I went back to the front desk to change rooms. Staff was apologetic and gave me another room. This room was urine odour free (Yay!) but was a bit musty. I decided to grit my teeth and bear it. The front desk staff delivered a snack tray to me an hour later as an apology - I thanked them for it.

What bothers me is that it seems the corporate message of The Holiday Inn Experience is really just a title on a webpage. The promise of clean, modern and safe hotel rooms do not work out in practice. This particular Holiday Inn obviously has no quality control on the status of rooms. If they did, how could a room smelling of urine be given out?

Not sure of the origin of the smell but I would assume that this was an incident from the previous room user. Why there was no policy in place for the hotel staff to report or resolve this BEFORE the room was rented again is beyond me.

Is this an isolated incident? Probably, but is makes me wary of the quality control of the entire hotel chain and if a huge, obvious problem like this was 'missed'. How can any of us be sure that a normal, thorough cleaning is being done between clients.

I'm sure this review will bring the usual corporate-speak message of 'ensuring the best for clients' and some sort of apology but it will not persuade me to stay in this hotel or probably any Holiday Inn again.

Room Tip: Check the room before you commit.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
GMHIBARIIE, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
I want to thank you for your feedback from your last stay. While I wish you had a better experience, it is feedback like this that we learn from and use to improve. We work hard to deliver an exceptional guest experience, and it's apparent in this case, we fell short. For the inconvenience you experienced at our hotel, I am sorry. The cleanliness of our rooms is a top priority of ours and proper steps are in place to ensure each room is cleaned to our highest standards