“Fantastic as usual!” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Ontario
“Fantastic as usual!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

There's a reason that this is our favorite restaurant. Consistently great food. We have been coming for a few years now and have never been disappointed with a single bite. From the amuse bouche to the amazing creme brulee, everything is excellent. The steaks and beef tenderloin can't be beat in Barrie. We are foodies and Urban Dish gets our money every time.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for the fantastic review and taking the time to write it! :) It's our pleasure to serve you and we're thankful you choose us as your favourite place to dine. Hope to see you again soon…watch for our new menu coming in mid October!

boulder
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The food was excellent but the service was slow and very poor. Two staff members were smoking on the patio for 10 minutes and our waitress completely forgot we ordered desert. We won't be going back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
We are shocked that there might have been staff smoking on the patio! That would, of course, be totally unacceptable and our standards are WAY higher than that. For the record, still unacceptable but, we imagine that the server was 'off-duty'. All of the staff knows they need to smoke out back and that sure hasn't happened before. We believe that every restaurant may have an 'off night' and I'm sorry you found the service slow. If you're willing to forgive and give us another chance, we would love to welcome you back and prove that our standards are much higher than that . If so, please contact the owner at jen@urbandish.ca Thanks for bringing this to our attention!
Baden
“Wonderful meal on a Tuesday night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

While we were at this restaurant relatively early (around 6 PM) the wait staff was very attentive and accommodating. The meal was exceptional and the added touch of an 'amuse bouche' of pulled pork and coleslaw was a great touch. This restaurant is next door to a fast food outlet but this upscale restaurant had nothing to fear from the fast food competition. I was impressed that the chef was female. I had the seafood linguini and the seafood was superbly cooked. My friend had the perch and she raved about it. It was moist, delicate and perfectly cooked. The wine we ordered wasn't in stock so the waiter brought another label for us and the good news it was slightly less expensive. I find that the price of a glass of wine these days is ridiculous.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for the rave review! We are so happy you were as pleased as you were and glad our female chef impressed. :) Next time you're in, and IF you enjoy steak, try one….we've been nominated for the best steak in Barrie in a local contest! Thanks again and we appreciate you taking the time to review us. Hope to see you soon!
Collingwood, Canada
“The prices of the wine are making me whine!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

So, had a lovely meal at Urban Dish last night. I'd dined here last year with a work get-together and was very impressed with the food. So knew that the experience would be great, or so I thought...

We had made a reservation, (which was not required), as the restaurant only had 3 tables occupied inside when we walked in and three occupied outside. I thought a reservation would be warranted due to the food festival happening in Barrie this week.

The hostess was very prompt, but to be offered a table next to the 'men's toilets' was a bit of a faux pas, given that the hostess in question could have taken her pick of many many tables. Given it was a beautiful evening we decided to actually sit on the patio.

What is required out there are smaller tables. My partner and I were sitting at a vast table that could have easily sat all the members of the last supper!

Anyway, the food was delicious and we had the set menu for $35 pp which I thought was extremely reasonable. However, I made the mistake of ordering two glasses of Pinot Grigio (9 oz size), not realizing that the cost of my wine was the equivalent of another 4-course dinner!

I find $14 a glass a bit on the pricey side and to be honest, I was embarrassed when the bill came that the wine had been so much! Yikes! Am I being stone-aged, but does $14 for a regular Pinot Grigio not seem a bit steep!? I've seen prices like this in very expensive hotels around the world, but this is supposed to be a romantic bistro with fresh local food. If I wanted to pay Ritz prices, I would have dined there. It's completely put me off from ever going back, despite the food being great.

I have been to lots of other restaurants in Barrie and not paid out a second-mortgage to enjoy a couple of drinks.

Seriously lower your prices on your wine menu, otherwise loyal customers are going to go elsewhere. It was a deal-breaker for us!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We sure are sorry you found our prices to be high. We serve high quality wines at Urban Dish and our prices are even lower than similar locally owned establishments in Barrie. In fact, another venue in town charges MORE than we do for the identical wine. We can't be compared to franchises as there's a very good reason they can keep their prices lower. Kind of like comparing Walmart to a clothing store downtown. Our prices are on the wine list so I'm sorry if this was overlooked and it came as a surprise to you. Having been to the Ritz myself a few years back, I can assure you our prices are almost 50% less than theirs. We sure are happy you enjoyed the food, though.

As far as your table goes, I'm confused about your table location and size. We don't have any tables near the men's room and it's actually down a small hallway and further even than the women's. There's a hallway AND a wall separating the washrooms from the dining room.

Reservations are always recommended as we can get very busy and have, unfortunately, turned people away in the past. The patio tables that seat two are larger than the ones inside. Your exaggerations are odd and the biggest table we have seats 6. I recall there being 13 at the last supper but my bible facts are nowhere near as good as they should be. Thankful the good Lord forgives this. :)

Not sure if you're visiting similar establishments or not…a certain chain restaurant in the South end has higher prices for their WATER than we do and, thankfully, our prices aren't anywhere near what it would cost to take out a second mortgage. Pass on your mortgage brokers information if this really is the case!

We're not meaning to discount your concerns and we always aim to please but your distortion of the facts make it difficult to respond differently. We hope we haven't lost you and perhaps after visiting other similar establishments you'll see how fair we really are. Thanks for taking the time to review Urban Dish.
Toronto
“CAN'T GO WRONG EATING HERE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

i have had lunch or dinner at this restaurant many times since they opened and it has never disappointed.
The food is always presented pleasingly on the plate and is delicious. The soups are a favourite....always very tasty.
The dishes always have interesting ingredients or sauces.
Only once was did I leave a little disappointed and that was because the portion was a bit small but that happened a couple of years ago and it has not been a problem since.
The tables are close together and it does get noisy but that does not bother me as the food is why I go there.
I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant...especially for a special occasion.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking some time to review Urban Dish! We're happy you have always enjoyed yourself. Our soups are a favourite of many of our guests and a personal fave of mine, too…made fresh in house makes a big difference! We're sorry you found it a tad 'noisy' but we sure are glad you overlooked that part. Perhaps it was a night when staff got overzealous with the volume of the music. :)

Thanks again and hope to see you soon!