“Very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 397 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Canadian, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: History Established in 2008. The present owner frequented the establishment for 4 years and it quickly became her favourite. When the old owners had two small children and presented her with the opportunity to purchase it, she jumped on board. She couldn't resist the temptation to be lucky enough to dine there every day and work with an amazing team of people. Jennifer was born and raised in Barrie and still calls it home. After a car accident in 1996 left her an amputee and unable to work, she was blessed to become a stay-at-home mom. In mid 2012, she was approached by her friends when they wanted to sell and she ran with the opportunity...Jen's kids were now 16 and 14 and she felt ready to commit to a full time job. And her teens were also happy to eat there more often! Jen's been going strong ever since, is continually thankful to work with incredible people, and is thrilled to have one of the only (and the best!) Female chefs in town. If you haven't tried 'The Dish', you haven't eaten well enough! Meet the Manager Amanda P. Head Chef Amanda had the honour and privilege to learn from one of the best and most known chefs in Simcoe County. She received her Red Seal certification, surpassed her talented teacher, and was ready and eager to manage her own kitchen. Amanda has had rave reviews from her guests and continues to surprise everyone with her skill and talent. She prepares food as though she's been in the business for 20 years and is a well respected chef in her field. Guests are most impressed with her ability to honour requests off menu and she always aims to please. Urban Dish is privileged to have her on their team.
boulder
“Very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

The food was excellent but the service was slow and very poor. Two staff members were smoking on the patio for 10 minutes and our waitress completely forgot we ordered desert. We won't be going back.

• Visited August 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
We are shocked that there might have been staff smoking on the patio! That would, of course, be totally unacceptable and our standards are WAY higher than that. For the record, still unacceptable but, we imagine that the server was 'off-duty'. All of the staff knows they need to smoke out back and that sure hasn't happened before. We believe that every restaurant may have an 'off night' and I'm sorry you found the service slow. If you're willing to forgive and give us another chance, we would love to welcome you back and prove that our standards are much higher than that . If so, please contact the owner at jen@urbandish.ca Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Baden
“Wonderful meal on a Tuesday night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

While we were at this restaurant relatively early (around 6 PM) the wait staff was very attentive and accommodating. The meal was exceptional and the added touch of an 'amuse bouche' of pulled pork and coleslaw was a great touch. This restaurant is next door to a fast food outlet but this upscale restaurant had nothing to fear from the fast food competition. I was impressed that the chef was female. I had the seafood linguini and the seafood was superbly cooked. My friend had the perch and she raved about it. It was moist, delicate and perfectly cooked. The wine we ordered wasn't in stock so the waiter brought another label for us and the good news it was slightly less expensive. I find that the price of a glass of wine these days is ridiculous.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for the rave review! We are so happy you were as pleased as you were and glad our female chef impressed. :) Next time you're in, and IF you enjoy steak, try one….we've been nominated for the best steak in Barrie in a local contest! Thanks again and we appreciate you taking the time to review us. Hope to see you soon!
Collingwood, Canada
“The prices of the wine are making me whine!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

So, had a lovely meal at Urban Dish last night. I'd dined here last year with a work get-together and was very impressed with the food. So knew that the experience would be great, or so I thought...

We had made a reservation, (which was not required), as the restaurant only had 3 tables occupied inside when we walked in and three occupied outside. I thought a reservation would be warranted due to the food festival happening in Barrie this week.

The hostess was very prompt, but to be offered a table next to the 'men's toilets' was a bit of a faux pas, given that the hostess in question could have taken her pick of many many tables. Given it was a beautiful evening we decided to actually sit on the patio.

What is required out there are smaller tables. My partner and I were sitting at a vast table that could have easily sat all the members of the last supper!

Anyway, the food was delicious and we had the set menu for $35 pp which I thought was extremely reasonable. However, I made the mistake of ordering two glasses of Pinot Grigio (9 oz size), not realizing that the cost of my wine was the equivalent of another 4-course dinner!

I find $14 a glass a bit on the pricey side and to be honest, I was embarrassed when the bill came that the wine had been so much! Yikes! Am I being stone-aged, but does $14 for a regular Pinot Grigio not seem a bit steep!? I've seen prices like this in very expensive hotels around the world, but this is supposed to be a romantic bistro with fresh local food. If I wanted to pay Ritz prices, I would have dined there. It's completely put me off from ever going back, despite the food being great.

I have been to lots of other restaurants in Barrie and not paid out a second-mortgage to enjoy a couple of drinks.

Seriously lower your prices on your wine menu, otherwise loyal customers are going to go elsewhere. It was a deal-breaker for us!

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
We sure are sorry you found our prices to be high. We serve high quality wines at Urban Dish and our prices are even lower than similar locally owned establishments in Barrie. In fact, another venue in town charges MORE than we do for the identical wine. We can't be compared to franchises as there's a very good reason they can keep their prices lower. Kind of like comparing Walmart to a clothing store downtown. Our prices are on the wine list so I'm sorry if this was overlooked and it came as a surprise to you. Having been to the Ritz myself a few years back, I can assure you our prices are almost 50% less than theirs. We sure are happy you enjoyed the food, though.

As far as your table goes, I'm confused about your table location and size. We don't have any tables near the men's room and it's actually down a small hallway and further even than the women's. There's a hallway AND a wall separating the washrooms from the dining room.

Reservations are always recommended as we can get very busy and have, unfortunately, turned people away in the past. The patio tables that seat two are larger than the ones inside. Your exaggerations are odd and the biggest table we have seats 6. I recall there being 13 at the last supper but my bible facts are nowhere near as good as they should be. Thankful the good Lord forgives this. :)

Not sure if you're visiting similar establishments or not…a certain chain restaurant in the South end has higher prices for their WATER than we do and, thankfully, our prices aren't anywhere near what it would cost to take out a second mortgage. Pass on your mortgage brokers information if this really is the case!

We're not meaning to discount your concerns and we always aim to please but your distortion of the facts make it difficult to respond differently. We hope we haven't lost you and perhaps after visiting other similar establishments you'll see how fair we really are. Thanks for taking the time to review Urban Dish.
Toronto
“CAN'T GO WRONG EATING HERE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

i have had lunch or dinner at this restaurant many times since they opened and it has never disappointed.
The food is always presented pleasingly on the plate and is delicious. The soups are a favourite....always very tasty.
The dishes always have interesting ingredients or sauces.
Only once was did I leave a little disappointed and that was because the portion was a bit small but that happened a couple of years ago and it has not been a problem since.
The tables are close together and it does get noisy but that does not bother me as the food is why I go there.
I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant...especially for a special occasion.

• Visited June 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Thank you for taking some time to review Urban Dish! We're happy you have always enjoyed yourself. Our soups are a favourite of many of our guests and a personal fave of mine, too…made fresh in house makes a big difference! We're sorry you found it a tad 'noisy' but we sure are glad you overlooked that part. Perhaps it was a night when staff got overzealous with the volume of the music. :)

Thanks again and hope to see you soon!
Barrie, Canada
“Exceptional everything!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband booked us a table on the patio for our 10th Anniversary, and our evening was beyond wonderful. The patio is sheltered from the breeze, so we were warm in the sunshine, the service was exceptional, and the food fabulous. I had heard of a bad experience here about 6 years ago, so never gave them a chance, but recently learned the restaurant has changed hands a few times. I cannot stress enough that everyone should give them a try. I'm super picky (read incredibly picky) and Urban dish has become my new favourite place to be!

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Wow…thanks for giving us a chance and thank you for a wonderful review! No venue is perfect, (although we sure strive to be!), and I'm glad you gave us a try. Hopefully the guests who told you about their poor experience also gave us another shot. ;)

The new owners are only the second owners and have been running it for nearly two years. Keep your eyes peeled for info about our two year anniversary party in September! We would love to have you back for some samples of food and drink when the time comes. Thanks again!