“Wife Test” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 391 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: American, Contemporary, Canadian, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: History Established in 2008. The present owner frequented the establishment for 4 years and it quickly became her favourite. When the old owners had two small children and presented her with the opportunity to purchase it, she jumped on board. She couldn't resist the temptation to be lucky enough to dine there every day and work with an amazing team of people. Jennifer was born and raised in Barrie and still calls it home. After a car accident in 1996 left her an amputee and unable to work, she was blessed to become a stay-at-home mom. In mid 2012, she was approached by her friends when they wanted to sell and she ran with the opportunity...Jen's kids were now 16 and 14 and she felt ready to commit to a full time job. And her teens were also happy to eat there more often! Jen's been going strong ever since, is continually thankful to work with incredible people, and is thrilled to have one of the only (and the best!) Female chefs in town. If you haven't tried 'The Dish', you haven't eaten well enough! Meet the Manager Amanda P. Head Chef Amanda had the honour and privilege to learn from one of the best and most known chefs in Simcoe County. She received her Red Seal certification, surpassed her talented teacher, and was ready and eager to manage her own kitchen. Amanda has had rave reviews from her guests and continues to surprise everyone with her skill and talent. She prepares food as though she's been in the business for 20 years and is a well respected chef in her field. Guests are most impressed with her ability to honour requests off menu and she always aims to please. Urban Dish is privileged to have her on their team.
“Wife Test”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

I brought my wife with me for my second visit in February of this year. I didn't make a reservation as it was in the middle of the week. We were seated immediately, I am sure I have never had such a pleasant experience in a restaurant. My wife has a very limited diet, but the fare here was excellent and she had only good things to say about the experience. The service was excellent, we were in no hurry so I can't say if the service was fast but we did not feel we waited long for anything. I would not bring kids here, they would not appreciate the quality. All in all a 100% evening. Well done! They passed the 'wife test' which is no small accomplishment!

• Visited February 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thanks, Glen! We're happy your wife enjoyed herself and that we were able to accommodate her dietary needs. Our chefs are eager to please and welcome the challenges of some restrictions our guests have. See you again soon!

Barrie, Canada
“Well prepared, varied menu ”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

I took some clients in for dinner and was very pleased with the quality and presentation. Let's face it this place is not cheap but is very good quality. Overall, quite pleased.

JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Thanks for your review! Glad you enjoyed everything and hope you believed that you got your money's worth!
Barrie, Canada
“Sneaky water charge leaves bad taste”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014 via mobile

Here is a marketing fail, and, for a high end restaurant, a rather petty charge. At beginning of dinner, we were offered 'filtered' or 'sparkling' water. We opted for filtered. What we were conveniently NOT told, was that there is a charge for the filtered water.

An additional charge was simply snuck onto our bill. Not much, granted ($1.50) per couple, but it was the fact that we were not informed, that upset us.

The waiter told us that this spelled out on the menu (not the online menu to be sure) but given we were not told about the water charge up front, we felt deceived. How many folks don't notice and pay the water levy?

Everything else was great, but we felt like we were tricked in the end and that is all we remember now.

Visited March 2014
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
We're sorry to hear your dining experience here was so greatly influenced by the water charge. Your server would have asked if you wanted 'flat or sparkling' as it is all filtered. We have invested in Qwater, which is a water filtration system, for our guests because we care about them and less bottle waste for the environment. Our servers don't always mention a cost as it was on the menu for over a year and we've found that our guests are just happy they're receiving a quality beverage. There is no comparison in the taste and crispness of the Qwater but we're happy to serve you tap water next time you come. I will review the way we alert the guests to this charge and if it's something worth changing. Thanks for taking the time to write this review and we're glad your experience was, overall, a good one. At least we know the 'bad taste' left in your mouth wasn't from the water! ;o)
“pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

went on a saturday night with no reservation. two tables were left and we were seated right away.
service was friendly albeit slow.
perhaps they should have had two servers on this night?
they had run out of the dish i wanted to order but were happy to accommodate and make something similar.
food was very good, drinks were expensive.
all in all, a nice, moderately expensive night out. not going to blow your mind, but happily satisfying.

• Visited March 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, April 11, 2014
We're glad we were able to fit you in! Yes, our weekends get full and usually a reservation IS required. Service may have been on the slower side, as you stated, because we were so busy but we're thankful you liked everything and were happy. Also, it was odd that you said we should have had two servers on that night. Which insinuates there was only one. With all the red shirts they wear, maybe it was a 'Where's Waldo' deal and you didn't see a few of them running around. ;) We RARELY run with less than 3 servers and a hostess on a Saturday (only if one is off sick).

As far as the beverages go, I would assume you're talking wine as our beer and liquor is priced like anywhere else similar in Barrie. If it's wine you're speaking about, our wine list is arguably the best in Barrie and at the least price point for the quality you'll find almost anywhere. I also just noticed that at a much lesser quality franchise restaurant, they charged $4 for filtered flat water and $4.50 for sparkling!! And it's bottles, not unlimited like our QWater. Some guests have questioned our QWater, if that's what you're in reference to, when we only charge $1.50 and you can have as much as you'd like! :)

We always appreciate when our guests take the time to review us. We're happy you sounded happy but sorry your mind wasn't blown. ;) Let me know when you'll be in again and we'll see if we can kick it up a notch and blow your mind next time. Ask for Jen! :)
“How good can it get?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

I am a fast food freak and don't often take the time to enjoy a good meal at a restaurant. Jennifer and her team at Urban Dish just may have changed all that! The food was excellent, the service was superior, the price didn't hurt near as much as I was expecting and it was reasonably quick. The next time I think I'll bring my wife with me. I highly recommend this quaint little restaurant!

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thanks, Glen. Yes, your wife probably deserves a nice evening out soon! :) I appreciate the compliments and kind words and we're glad you have found a good, 'non-fast food', place to enjoy! We hope to be seeing you soon.