“Still excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 375 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Wine Bar, Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Entertaining clients, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Located on Yonge Street, close to the water and downtown core, this exciting restaurant features contemporary cuisine and an extensive wine list in a casual fine dining atmosphere. Steaks, seafood, pastas, salads, desserts are all prepared fresh daily. In the Summer they even have an on-site garden where the chefs pick fresh veggies and herbs every day. Fun and relaxed service with a casual flair, exceptional food and open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week. They provide a dining experience that makes you want to come back again and again.
Ontario
“Still excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

Returned for fourth meal here on a Tuesday evening. Really not understanding the negative reviews here, as we have had nothing but great experiences. Same chef has been working every time we've been here (and I think we've had the same excellent server every time too!). Three of our party had the beef tenderloin special with blackberry reduction and I had the sea bass again. While the fish was delicious and well cooked, the special was awesome! I hope they have that dish again the next time we come (which won't be too long!). As for the decor, the restaurant can be described as austere. I personally prefer a dining room that does not have a lot of clutter and knick knacks, as they are simply dust collectors, so I quite appreciate the minimalist design. I find it cozy and romantic, and very clean. Keep up the great work

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jennifer L, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thanks for the review! Glad you've enjoyed all the times you've visited Urban Dish. We're thrilled we can make our guests happy and that you come back for more! Hope to see you again soon.

BARRIE
“Canadian food for visitors to Ontario”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I had friends visiting from North Carolina, who were interested in experiencing "Canadian food". As they have been exceptionally kind to me in my visits to Raleigh, I wanted to treat them to a nice, but not "chain" restaurant while they were here. After doing some research, I chose Urban Dish from the reviews.
I was a bit disappointed; the restaurant is quite stark IMO...I guess trendy, but not particularly welcoming. The menu was limited, with many fish options which are not something I enjoy; there were also meat options which were very, very pricey for my budget.
Our meal was good but nowhere near exceptional, which it should have been for the $$$.
The service was average to less than average; I kind of got the feeling our casual dress and our gender (4 females 40+) put us on the "don't need to bother with you" list. That was the impression the waitress gave, and that was the tip she received for her "trouble".
I wouldn't go there again, given the prices....what I SHOULD have done was taken them to Scotty's, where they would have been much more at home and welcomed.
Given a do-over, which we'll likely have, I'll do that.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Jennifer L, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
We're sorry we disappointed you and your guests. Not sure of the date you visited but our menu only consists of two fish options. Perhaps we had a different menu then. I'm sorry the service wasn't up to our usual high standards...would love it if you gave us a second chance! Again, our apologies for disappointing you and we appreciate the feedback,
Barrie, Ontario
“overpriced, not impressed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Made reservations for my husbands birthday for us and another couple. My friend ordered the steak , she had to send it back TWICE! It still was overcooked, it was disgusting. As the rest of us sat there with our food getting cold. All the other dishes we ordered were not worth the $, we left unsatisfied. The atmosphere was crowded and loud. Pricey not worth what you get. Wont be back.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jennifer L, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
We apologize for your evening not going as planned. Barrielicious is an incredibly busy time and the chefs can make more errors than usual. If you give us a chance to make it up to you, after Barrielicious, hopefully you will also see what our usual standards are. Your feedback is valuable and we welcome the opportunity to make it up to you.
Barrie, Canada
“Pricey but Supernice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Just moved to Barrie and the Urban Dish is close to our new home so we walked over to try it out. I had the Filet Mignon...just excellent and perfectly cooked to my liking.My better half had a chicken entree and loved it.
We booked again for New Year's dinner and thourghly enjoyed all 7 courses. Staff was quick, efficient and friendly without being overbearingly attentive. Yes, the Wine list is pricey but folks should expect that when dining out.
Overall, 2 visits, 2 excellent meals, 2 great nights out, I say "Excellent" and we'll definately go back again

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jennifer L, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for the rave review! We try to please and are thrilled you enjoyed both times with us. Please come again soon...it will be our privilege to serve you and your guests!
Toronto, Canada
“Wow, what a disappointing New Year's Eve dinner!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked our New Years dinner here a month in advance, without having seen the menu. All we were told is that "it is French, and is still being refined".

Here is what I actually had last night off their "Parisienne" menu:

1. A salad with beats so old and hard, that I could not pierce them with my fork.

2. 4 defrosted shrimp, with grocery store cocktail sauce

3. Lobster ravioli that was so tough and rubbery, I couldn't cut through it with my knife??? I showed this to the waitress when I was sending it back, and she was equally perplexed.

4. I got the steak instead. Ordered it medium rare. When it came out, I had to send it back because it was entirely raw. When it came again after being cooked some more, it was somehow even more raw than before.

At this point, my partner was sitting there with a cold plate of food, and getting rightfully annoyed. We ended up taking the steak home, so I could actually cook it the next day, and got the dessert to go.

Needless to say, the mood was entirely ruined, and with all of this sending back of food, we were unable to have a conversation. I wish I could get back my New Years Eve and my $300.00.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Jennifer L, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. ALL feedback is important to us and it assists us in making Urban Dish a better experience for our guests.

I'm sorry to hear your evening went so poorly. I have discussed it with my chefs and they understand their errors. This is unlike our usual quality of food and service and I'd like the chance to attempt to make it up to you and your guest! Please contact me (Jennifer) at 705-797-8909 and we'll see how we can make you happy again.

Thanks again for your review,

Jen