“Loved it! Halfway between the Average hotel, and a Luxurious hotel!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Monte Carlo Inn - Barrie Suites

Special Rate
Jacuzzi Suite for $109.90
Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Ottawa, Canada
“Loved it! Halfway between the Average hotel, and a Luxurious hotel!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2010

Stayed at this hotel while visiting someone in Barrie. Upon arrival, the staff were very courteous and friendly, even after running into a few glitches on our part. The appearance of this hotel was very nice. The room... what can I say! We never spend more than we have to so having a room with a jacuzzi and big piers, and a fireplace was awesome! Sure if you want to point out every little thing the molding was cracked in one spot, and yea, there was a hair in the tub, but honestly, does that really affect the quality of your stay? Everything else was spotless! The bed was soooo comfortable, i wanted to take it home!!
The cons; the breakfast was not so great, average, but just kinda drab. And room service is cut off at 11pm! Also, we had a room by the pool, and during the day it was a bit noisy. At night however, you could hear a pin drop. Kinda made late night romance feel like we were back at the parents place... ;P
But all in all I was very pleased to taste a little bit of luxury for a decent price, and I would definitely return!! Oh yeah, and my husband left his cell phone in the room, and when we called back 6 hours later, they confirmed they still had it, and kept it in the safe until we could arrange something! Can't say that for many places!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

Whatever product they use to clean their tubs is not safe. The tub was sparkling clean but you could not stand up in it. As soon as I stepped in I fell on my back. My husband had to help me get out as I could not get a solid footing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Barrie, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

Pubic hair found in several beds!!!!!!!!! The pool is always closed, for health reason and Washrooms are not properly cleaned.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2010

I ws so pleased with my stay at the Monte Carlo Barrie Suites, that I will be back with my family for wedding and try out one of their large suites. The treatment was stellar from when I checked in and got my room key. A big smile goes a long way these days because its very rare. My room was clean and comfortable and great beds to rest. The restaurant had a great atmosphere and again friendly, courteous staff!! Very Warm and cozy hotel! I have stayed at the chain before, but this was my best stay to date!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Toronto
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2010

Stay away from this place! bad bad experience! the hotel front desk staff (two girls with black hair) checked me in. the one with glasses was soo rude! not to mention that she shouldnt be the "face" of the hotel! she didnt say hello,. just got me to fill out this piece of crap paper, which every hotel has it already printed out for you.. and she just slapped the keys on the front desk.
got up to the room and there was still garbage in the bathroom! so I assume no one looks after the maids do,.
the breakfest is a rip off... free breakfest- but they kept trying to get us to upgrade. I over heard someone complaining about that.
next time Ill stay

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Swaat
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

Stay at this hotel on Feb 16 for a late Valentine ’s Day getaway. Stayed in one of the Jacuzzi suites which was beautiful. Got handed some left over flowers from the weekend which was still a nice surprise. In a nut shell the room was very clean and the bed was super comfortable. The pool was a bit small but hey it's still an indoor pool. The staff was extremely friendly and check in and out was fast. The tub was fun and fit both myself and fiancé nicely. Location was easy to find since it was right off the highway

Overall we had a very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Barrie, ONT
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

Monte Carlo Barrie is a very new hotel in Barrie, so we decided to try it out for Valentines Day. They had a beatiful Roman themed jacuzzi suite available. They even had it ready early so we could check in early.

On arrival, the staff were very friendly. Check in was quick and pretty much effortless. They handed my partner a rose for the occasion. It was a good start. When we arrived, we found that they had a special for an extra $100 to receive $60 off the restaurant, a complimentary bottle of wine, chocolate covered strawberries and a later check out time. We opted for that.

We got to our suite and it was everything they said it was on the surface. It didn't take long before the little discrepencies started to surface. There were no glasses. Odd to not have glasses in the room. The tub had pubic hair in it. Ok, they were rushed to get it ready earlier. That can slide. The TV "crashed". Leaving it for a bit and turning it back on resolved the problem.

The internet was down all day the first day. Rogers had a major problem, knocking out the whole city. Not the hotels fault, but added to the negative aura surrounding this trip. Sitting in the Jacuzzi we could clearly hear the yelling and screaming of little children in the pool down the hall and a floor down.

Sound proofing seemed non-existant. The architects who designed the building should find a new hobby. A couple of walls outside were even crooked. Some mouldings didn't fit properly. One moulding around the jacuzzi was already starting to let go. You could tell corners were cut all over the place.

We go down for dinner. It was underwhelming. The steak was a very poor quality cut. I expected a lot more for $95.00 for the two of us. Not at all acceptable. The chef was a great guy, very personable. He served us personally as there were no other staff on hand. The salads were very good. My partner's pasta was good. My steak was overcooked. Not surprising, considering it was one cut above "tenderized". I doubt I could have done much more with it myself.

At the end of the dinner we tipped generously for his congeniality and efforts and left.

That night we were kept up all night with the sound of water running through piping. Apparently one of the other guests decided filling their jacuzzi every hour between 10 PM and 4 AM was a great idea. Proper design would have prevented this rather loud intrusion on our sleep.

I woke up feeling exhausted. A very poor sleep. Breakfast was good. Part of the extra $100 was a free upgrade ($3.95/person) to a hot breakfast. Excellent french toast, bacon perfectly cooked to my liking. Some horrible morning show on TV. A waste of air time, particularly since the Olympics were airing and would have made a much better choice.

We decided to check out early. Great tub, but not an enjoyable stay. On checkout we get the bill of $350. The bill was pushed across the counter with "check this and make sure it's ok". There's a "gratuity" included of almost $18.00. Gratuity??? When confronted about it we were abruptly informed that it was stated on our sign in card that taxes and gratuities were extra. Well, ok. That's pretty much always a given. We weren't told it was forced on us. Why was there a place for gratuity on our dinner and breakfast receipts if they were just going to take one anyways?

We were informed that they had received lots of complaints about it. She asked if we would like to do something about it. I told her for the $18 it would probably take more time than it's worth. She agreed that it took a long time to reverse the charge. A complete customer service fail.

I felt that we didn't receive anywhere close to the $350 value we paid for. I took the time to call customer service. No answer. It's an answering machine. I left a message, fully expecting to not hear back (and certainly I wasn't disappointed. We didn't). I called the manager of the hotel to give them our feedback. As a business owner I always value and act on any feedback, good or bad. He promised he would look into it, took our contact information and we never heard back from him either.

I immediately thought back to our trip to the Mariott Fallsview and how, for the same money our experience was completely different. Everything from the atmosphere, service, the room, the restaurant, right down to how rested I felt. My overall impression of the Monte Carlo is that it's an overpriced Holiday Inn Express.

So many small things added up to a lack luster, mediocre, overpriced experience that was big on claims, but fell far short on delivery. It's definitely one of the nicest hotels in Barrie, yet still leaves a lot to be desired especially at the price point.

With the nice facilities, there is a lot of potential. However the current management appears to either be clueless how to run a hotel or just doesn't care.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Monte Carlo Inn - Barrie Suites? Share your experiences!