“Too Strict” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
North Bay, Ontario, Canada
“Too Strict”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

A couple of girlfriends and myself (between 30-33 years old) had a room for 1 night. When we first drove up our thoughts were that the place is gorgeous. It is clean and very well taken care of. The rooms are little small but your just there to sleep right!! We did NOT enjoy our stay at all. We recieved a call at 10:17 pm telling us to tone down. I do admit, we did have music playing since we were heading out but it was NOT overly loud. It's not my first stay in a motel. As we were heading out at 11:00 pm the front desk clerk told us to not talk as we were walking out.

We got back to the motel at approx 230am. As we were walking into the room (our room was on the 1st floor, closest to the front desk) the phone was rigning. Once again...it was the front desk and again we were told to stop talkin and tone it down. If we didn't, our deposit would not be returned. Again, we were not loud, we were not yelling, we were not running around ect. WAY TOO STRICT and front desk is rude

Another downfall is breakfast...u have to pay extra for certain things. You cannot bring the food to your room. If you do, you are charged for room service. You also have to go get coupons to be able to get ur breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
fricken, Manager at Monte Carlo Inn - Barrie Suites, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write in as feedback is always important to us. At the Monte Carlo Inn we strive to offer excellant customer service as well as ensuring our guests have a comfortable sleep. We treat all hotel guests equally and age is never a factor as to how we treat our guests.

When the front desk receives a complaint it is in our best interest to rectify the situation as soon as we can. Some people are already asleep by 11:00pm and if there was any children in the room next to you, then any noise can cause a disturbance. Our desk agents are not trained to tell guests you cannot talk and we would always ask politely to keep the volume down if we are receiving complaints. Perhaps the other hotels you have stayed at allow partying which is why you have not been given warnings before, but at our hotel we try to keep our hallways as quiet as possible during late night hours.

We offer at our location complimentary continental breakfast with a wide variety of items to every guest. There is a small upgrade fee of $3.95 for hot breakfast for guests to enjoy and they can partake in the continental breakfast as well.

We thank you again for your feedback regarding your reservation. Thank you for bringing this to our attention seven months after you stayed with us and letting others know that we do try our best to keep the hotel quiet during late night hours.

Matt Paul
Front Office Manager
Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

front desk was nice, hotel was clean. things I didn't like is there was no tea bags in the room. also free breakfast didn't include eggs, you have to buy them, also I think you cannot take your breakfast in the room.
also I didn't like that you cannot just go to eat breakfast, you will have to get coupon from front desk.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Trenton, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

Several members of our family stayed at the Monte Carlo Inn when we visited Barrie for a family wedding shortly after the hotel opened. I chose it again last year when in town on business. When I arrived this past week, I was very impressed with the condition of the building, realizing that it's not easy to keep a hotel in "like-new" condition, year after year. My room was well-appointed and there were no signs of wear - the bathroom's condition was as if the hotel had opened last month. I enjoyed the friendly, helpful interaction with the front desk people and we all had some fun when I locked myself out of my room as I was loading and unloading study materials from my car. As I was paying my compliments to the front office staff, I was given a copy of the Monte Carlo Inns corporate brochure - I've decided to join their incentive program and I'm going to check out their other properties which are conveniently located in several of my other business destinations. I'm going back to the Monte Carlo Inn in Barrie next week and I'm going to enjoy that complimentary breakfast again - only this time, I'm going to take advantage of my host's offer of hot oatmeal - I was very impressed with her desire to help.

Room Tip: My room looked out on the parking near the main entrance. I appreciated being able to look out at m...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I have worked in hotels before, and know what it takes to deliver an excellent guest experience. This hotel did not fulfill that. The pool is minuscule, the photos over exaggerate it to look bigger than it is. My bed had black and brown flecks in the sheets. But I can overlook the facilities, however the front desk staff were horrendous. One woman who checked us in was rude, and unpleasant. When we asked a question about our booking (we booked through another site) she was incredibly rude and short with my father. He was merely asking a question and she snapped at him twice during his check in. I later called down to ask for an extra blanket and she responded with "I guess so" Incredibly rude and made me feel as if I was putting the staff out for asking questions about charges from the room and needing an extra blanket because the rooms were freezing. I am usually VERY accommodating as I myself have worked front desk before, but this was unpleasant. NOT worth the money. Stay in a friendlier hotel with better amenities.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Guelph, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed one night at the Monte Carlo while helping our son move to Barrie. While check-in time is nominally 3:00 p.m, don't count on it. We attempted to check in at 4:00 p.m. but our junior suite was not ready yet. (I noticed another couple at check-in whose room was also not yet ready.) About an hour later, with our junior suite still not ready, we gave in and opted for a regular room. Through it all, however, the clerk was pleasant and tried to be helpful. The room itself was quite nice. It was clean, the bedding comfortable, and the building (and room) seemed quite well insulated against noise. The cost of the room was a little less than we might have paid at another chain. (I do suspect that they may be achieving their lower prices by making do with fewer cleaning staff, leading to rooms being ready late.) Breakfast was adequate. I would stay there again, if I needed a hotel in Barrie - but I would probably count on checking in closer to 5:00 than to 3:00 p.m.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We booked the Monte Carlo Inn as we found it listed as the highest-rated hotel in the area, rather than any previous experience with the brand or personal recommendation. And I'm pleased to say it has met expectations. The staff here are incredibly friendly and helpful, the rooms are large and comfortable, and the free continental breakfast is very welcome.

As locations go, it looks like all the hotels are on this same stretch of road so while it isn't ideally located if you don't have a car, it isn't unique to this hotel.

While Barrie isn't somewhere I would necessarily recommend visiting, if you are coming to the city and need a place to stay, the Monte Carlo Inn is definitely recommended.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Sudbury, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I stayed here on a solo trip. It was very quite and comfortable. The staff was very nice and friendly, the restaurant was a great stop for an drink. The price was great!
I would stay at any monte carlo hotel again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo