“Just Average” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
“Just Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Dined here twice, once in 2012 and earlier this week. This tiny north Toronto restaurant needs a major facelift...it's dated and uncomfortable seating.

The service is very good. The owners are caring and attentive. The food is unfortunately just so-so. It's way to Canadianized. The calamari tastes like its from a chain and the pizza is tasteless. I had the mushroom fettuccine....it was bland. I was truly disappointed in the food.

Hopefully the owners take note and get back to fresh ingredients and traditional recipes. I really do think the owners are lovely and would like to see the business improve.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

“A great place to eat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I have been here multiple time for dinner, and it's a place I will keep going for a great night out. The food and the staff is what keeps me coming back. I haven't had a dish there that I haven't enjoyed, and the staff is always so pleasant. They do have an European feel to them, where they're not rushing you through your meal to turn the table over.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Wedding reception”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hosted a wedding reception here with about 30 people in attendance. The atmosphere was great, very intimate, and they were very accomodating to our requests. The food was perfect, from salads, to calamary, lamb, pasta, and I'd highly recommend the risotto. Good Italian wines as well, and the prices are very reasonable.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Over rated”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

Over rated! The menu has been the same now for almost 3 years. The food is average nothing special! The food is salty and bland, and the pizzas are bland and need so improvements! To sum up the service in one word.......POOR! We waited 30 mins for our salads and 45 mins for our main course. I recommend that the restaurant invest in more front of house staff please! Having the owner stop by our table and chart won't make up for such poor service. For a owner (vito) who has had many restaurants in the past, I am very shocked that Gente is running this way! I guess he lost his touch!!!!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great for intimate meals and large groups”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

After having eaten at this local area restaurant so many times I felt compelled to share my thoughts. The staff is ALWAYS extremely courteous and helpful. I am always amazed at how incredible the Caprese Salad and Sea Bass is - definitely favourite. My wife loves the fish as well as the chicken. My kids love the pasta and pizza. We have never had a bad meal here. The wine selection is incredibly reasonably priced for such high quality and hard to get wines. I always feel special when I go. Then I realized that many of my friends who have gone on my recommendation felt the same way. I was urged by my wife to suggest this restaurant last year for a Conference venue when about 30 people wanted to go out for supper after the Conference reception. This year many of the attendees that went to Gente last year returned - and they brought others. People from Mexico, across the US and Canada enjoyed the warmth, hospitality and excellent food at Gente. They were very pleased with my recommendation. Thanks to Eric and the staff at Gente for making me look good. This is a real find in our oipinion. By the way - they cater to food allergies and their prices are extremely reasonable for what you get - just the way I like it.

• Visited December 2012