“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
ontario
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

After several suggestions from friends to try Johnny Famous we were very disappointed. I believe what draws people here is the uniqueness. From the outside it looks like a warehouse but once you go in there are marble floors huge fish tanks,a very pleasant looking restaurant.The food portions were good but the food was below average. The shrimp I ordered were overcooked therefore making
them rubbery. My sister

had the chicken also overcooked Truly not what I had suspected. Will I return absolutely not. Definitely overpriced for the quality of food.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PaulGaasenbeek, General Manager at Johnny Famous, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
I am surprised to read this review. I never heard from any guest or server that someone's food was not cooked well recently. Judging by all the other reviews we have received about great food, I really am curious to know what happened here. Please feel free to call me at the restaurant or send me a private message. This is not the norm I can assure you. Being rated in the top 5% for all restaurants in Ontario does not happen by mistake. Guests having food they are not happy with is unacceptable. Thank you for the review none the less.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Excellent,blown away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Three of us went went there for our birthdays. It is unassuming from the outside and amazing when you walk in! It was Saturday night. We had no reservations and were lucky to get one of the two open tables left. Our waitress, Olivia was friendly and efficient. \we liked the different menu choices. The food was great. The price good for a "dining experience" Servings ample.
Yes it is a bit in the"boonies" However Dunnville is very pretty with the mouth of the Grand River there. Many trees and elegant old and new homes. Lake Erie is close by also. Take the trip to Johnny Famous for a great meal and the drive around Dunnville's wonderful scenery too.

• Visited July 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for the wonderful review. I am glad everyone enjoyed their meals and the ambience. We put great care into the food and the service so it is nice to know it is appreciated. We thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. It was a pleasure taking care of you. We hope to see you soon. Thank you.
Erin, Canada
“LUNCH”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2014

First time, I was ever in or near Dunnville. My scooter club went for a ride around the shores of Lake Erie and stopped here for lunch at 12:30 pm. It was a hot Saturday afternoon and the first thing I noticed other than the gravel parking lot was that there were absolutely no cars parked in front, not one. The building externally is a long white concrete block ranch style affair very plain with three non-descript doors. Good thing someone had been here before because they knew which door was the entrance. I would recommend an awning at the entrance door at least. A sign on the building's front wall would give it some life. If you ever visit you will understand my description. Had I been jsut driving by and looking for a place for lunch I would have kept going to Dunnville especailly as a local put it, this palce is in the middle of nowhere.

However, the decor in the inside is Las Vegas meets steakhouse. I really liked it; unique. It is very surprising there is a huge bar in the middle of the room that is not in use but I guess if you were to rent the restaurant for a social function you could put it too good use. Lots of stain glass and aquariums plus a cool expresso machine. My view of the menu is it largely Italina fare but with touches of other cuisines: Cabbage rools, perogies, wiener schnizel. Dinner would be on the pricey side. Lunch menu is the same as the dinner which I found very expensive. They should institute a lunch menu with reduced potion size and prices.

Food was good I had the caesar salad with sweet chili chicken, The fish and chips were a large portion. The cabbage rolls looked good as well as the gongozola chicken. Both came with garlic amched potatos which looked delicious. The bread appeared to be home made and was delicious. My ceasar was good with fresh lettuce and crispy croutons but for a bit of an upscale place with the prices to match I was surprised that the dressing came from a plastic bottle and was not made fresh.

Would I go back again for dinner maybe as it is a long drive.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
PaulGaasenbeek, Manager at Johnny Famous, responded to this review, July 1, 2014
Thank you for the comments. You are the first scooter club to ever come in. We are glad you enjoyed the inside and the food. We use only top quality ingredients and the owner spent 5 years to make the inside look like it does. We just added the worlds best Elextra Cappuccino machine to. We are definitely a destination spot for people all over the area because of the food and ambience. So we appreciate you mentioning that.

As for outside of the restaurant, there is a plan but considering your stunning review of the inside, you understand why we have not yet addressed the outside. It is being planned and hopefully by next year we will have our patio and so on set up. I assure you, it will be stunning one day as well.

As for lunch, we have over 10 items priced from 6 to 15 dollars in the menu. It is a lunch and dinner menu in one. Soups are under 5 dollars. Small salads (5.95) and large. Small fish (10.95) and chips and large and so on. I am sorry you felt this was not adequate for a lunch menu. I will bring this up at our next meeting. Nothing is more important to us than making sure every guest gets taken care of. So thank you for bringing this up.

Thank you again for rolling on in. Happy and safe travels to you and your friends. Thank you.
Welland, Canada
“Unique place but average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2014

This decor in this place is worth the trip alone but the food is another story. We went there for their Surf And Turf deal with wine. A great deal but the food and service were not up to par. It too too log for our dinner service. It is a bit of a drive from where I live and I can not see me returning.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
PaulGaasenbeek, Manager at Johnny Famous, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
First, I want to say sorry you did not enjoy your visit. We aim to take care of everyone in a timely and professional manner. I accept no less from myself and the staff. I am surprised you mention the food was just average, though. We use only the top ingredients here. Our lobster tails come from Cuba and our beef is Certified Angus Beef. So I am not sure what to say about that. As for service taking so long, surf and turf takes 20-25 minutes to prepare when we are not busy. Your server should have informed you of that. Sorry if she did not. I could see how it would be frustrating for you if you were waiting expecting surf and turf to take 15-20 minutes. If you were in on a busy night, this meal would have taken a little longer. So my apologies for that. Again, sorry you did not enjoy your visit with us.
St. Catharines, Canada
“Great place in Haldimand”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Stopped in with some friends for dinner, and had a great time. Good food, friendly service, and wont break the bank. I think this is our new meeting spot!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
PaulGaasenbeek, Manager at Johnny Famous, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Thank you so much. It was our privilege to take care of your party. We are glad you enjoyed yourself. Johnny Famous is definitely worth checking out no matter where you are coming from. It is becoming a true destination point for people to come and meet. We understand we could not be doing this without all the great reviews, however. Every guest is important to us. We are so thrilled and grateful for the positive word of mouth we have had from many great people. So from all of us at Johnny Famous, thank you for stopping by and for the kind words. We hope to see you again soon. Thank you.