“Great value for money and lovely hosts” 5 of 5 stars

Willow House Inn
11 Willow Street, Pictou, Nova Scotia, Canada   |
Ranked #2 of 11 Pictou B&B and Inns
Fernie, Canada
“Great value for money and lovely hosts”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Enjoyed 2 nights in this lovely B&B. While the standards are not for everyone -furnishings need some updating (older, worn carpets and wallpaper) the linens were new and clean, and the towels were huge, fluffy and plentiful. The way I saw it, it was like staying at Auntie Debby and Uncle Jamie's- friendly, warm, inviting and a little worn around the edges. I liked the fact that it didn't feel like a Marriot. And at $60/night in July, I liked that it wasn't priced like a Marriot either. I enjoyed relaxing with a beer (which my hosts kindly chilled for me) in the lounge with the owners after I arrived, they shared lots of local info and stories. Both are from the area and full of useful details and suggestions and are delightfully honest and friendly.

My room on the 3rd floor shared a recently renovated bathroom with my neighbours and had a lovely big comfy bed. The A/C unit was mercifully quiet enough to leave on all night on the fan setting, which was essential on the insanely humid days I was there. TV was small but worked fine. There's also a huge selection of 'take-a-book-leave-a-book' which is great on a long visit.

Breakfast includes tasty homebaking and a single hot option as well as toast, coffee and juice & a selection of home-made spreads. (and possibly cereals, not sure about this) I'm not at my most chatty first thing in the morning and prefer a quiet breakfast with my book, so when I opted not to squeeze myself into the one remaining set place at the 'family' table with 7 pairs of eyes watched my every move ready to grill me with the usual 'where-are-you-from-where-have-you-been-where-are-you-going-how-long-are-you-here', the hosts graciously reset a place for me at the other table.

Room Tip: Rooms with shared bathrooms are excellent value if you don't mind 2 flights of stairs.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Miramichi, Nb. Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

We recently return from a road trip through Nova Scotia...and our last night we had the pleasure of staying at Willow House B & B.
We don't usually stay at B & B's..but after this experience.. we are going to be making it a habit...and great price...
The home is old..but in good repair..and well done..We stayed in The King Room....with ensuite...very nice & large..
Jamie & Deb are a delight...perfect for being hosts of a B & B....
Breakfast was delight...and plentiful...
Would we stay there again...Definitely..
Pictou..is also a place you should see..so much History...

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I had a book at another Inn in town who were most boorish and I left in disgust. The owners of this in came to the rescue. The bed was comfortable, the AC worked and the price was right. It is however dated but some like that charm like a massive claw foot tub. I have no complaints

Room Tip: They will accept Pets
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Oviedo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

wonderful place. very reasonably priced. We sat with Debby and Jamie in the evening and had a nice time. The room was huge. Breakfast was done very well. Not a lot to do in town in the pouring rain. We did find Carvers at Jamies suggestion. It was a nice local time. Drank and played trivia. What a hoot!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2d. It was a huge room with a king bed. Very nice
Stourbridge, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was our first visit to Pictou and I do not think we will go back. The Breakfast was good the host were friendly (a bit to OTT for me) sadly the rooms need a bit of TLC the decor look very tired, the bed was clean but have slept in much better ones. It did not help that Pictou seemed to close at 6pm except Shelias Diner, So to eat at somewhere other thean Shelias you had to go out of Pictou.

Dunnville, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This was our favourite B&B of our 3 week trip.Wish we could have stayed longer. Jamie the host was just a pleasure. You felt so welcome. The rooms were beautiful, the blue floral wallpaper in my Mother's room was perfect while my husband and I enjoyed the King suite in green tones, so appropriate for the age of the home. Breakfast was a delight and thoughtfully presented. Enjoyed every minute.

Room Tip: perfect rooms, perfect charm, perfect hosts, you can do no better!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Bozeman, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

In a quaint little fishing village we found this wonderful B&B. The owner, Jamie, was very welcoming and helpful. The room was large, nicely decorated, king bed comfortable and ensuite bath very nice. You can walk to the waterfront, pubs and restaurants easily. You won't find a better value. The breakfast was really good and plentiful and offered a variety i.e. cereals, fresh fruit and cooked dishes. We loved staying at the Willow House.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Willow House Inn? Share your experiences!