“deceived” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 11 Pictou B&B and Inns
Boca Raton, Florida
“deceived”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

This bed and breakfast was actually recommended to me by my AAA agent which influenced our family's decision to stay in Pictou for a night on our way to PEI. We arrived in the late afternoon , and Michelle informed us that there was really nothing to to do at this time. She was kind enough to check the movie theater times in the next town however. She showed me our suite which was very charming and welcoming. She had the back porch door open and the front door open so there was a beautiful breeze through the room and if felt light and airy. After enjoying the room, the breeze and the views for the evening we closed the back porch door and the front door for the night's slumber. Two hours later I awoke to a horrid smell. It smelled of garbage, possible old food, socks...I couldn't tell. I looked in the drawers, under the beds and even outside my window and outside the front door to find the source. I found nothing. The rest of my family was sleeping and I did not want to wake them. I could not sleep all night . My children became aware of the putrid odor when they returned from their morning run This all could have been an oversight and just one of those things but in the morning I realized that Michelle had the doors open on purpose when we arrived, knowing perfectly well of the severe mold and camauflaging it for us. I felt deceived and very tired!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Michelle L, Owner at Evening Sail B&B, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We have tried without success to find the source of the musty smell you experienced in your room but as you did not notify us at the time and since we can’t smell anything unpleasant, there is very little we can do. Perhaps if you’d mentioned it at anytime during breakfast or the half hour you stood in our library and talked with me about the details of your day’s itinerary, we would have had some idea as to what might have been the cause. (A plumbing issue? Something outside?) No other guest has ever mentioned such a problem (and as that room has been rented every night but one since you left, surely someone would have noticed so glaring an issue) and since mould doesn’t just come and go, I really don’t know what to say.
None of this, however, changes the fact that you believe there was a problem and that you were unhappy with your stay. For that, we certainly apologize. No guest of ours is ever expected to stay in a room that does not meet their expectations or pay for a room that has been a disappointment. Common courtesy, however, requires you at least give me the chance to address your concerns instead of fabricating grand conspiracy theories and deliberately misquoting me (I did not say there wasn’t anything to do in Pictou, but after you rejected the ideas I did suggest – the beach, 3 museums, live music, walking trails, etc.- I agreed that there didn’t seem to be much that was of interest to you).
It is a sad commentary on the state of the world that your first thought was that we were deceiving you. The Evening Sail is both our home and our business and we want only for our guests to enjoy their visit with us. Why would anyone with any sense want unhappy, and therefore, unpleasant people in their home? Breakfast is very often the social highlight of our day and intentionally misleading people would make for very awkward conversation, indeed.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wolverhampton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stopped one night on a tour around Nova Scotia. Stopped in Max's Landing - what a beautiful room. Friendly welcome and info on town evening dining. Lovely deck area to sit on in the evening.
The unusual part was the breakfast, everyone gets to eat together, this is fun if you are a morning person, a bit more challenging for those still asleep! However, a good idea as you get to meet all the other people in the B & B who you would not normally meet or talk to so you can share or listen as suits you. Breakfast was yummy and we got to take a treat away with us to eat later. Michelle and her mom chat through breakfast and make the whole thing work.

Chester, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed in the Driftwood at Evening Sail. It was lovely to have a place to actually prop your feet up and be comfy during the down times. (The couch is exceptional for napping, by the way.) Gail and Michelle bend over backwards to make sure everyone has a good experience. Wish more places were like this! Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Glassboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

wonderful place to stay near the ferry. We had the Max's Landing room, a studio with kitchen. Cute seasside motif with comfortable porch. quiet and peaceful - perfect get-a-way. Breakfast was delicious. Gail (Michelle's mom) makes wonderful pastries. We highly recommend this delightful B & B.

Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

we loved this B and B. MIchelle and her mom are amazing hosts. Was so comfortable and the breakfasts were great. We had the Seashell room which had a great king size bed which is hard to find in a B&B. Lovely deck to sit out on. Was a nice walk to town for dinner each night.

usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Michelle and Gail really put a lot of effort into this place - super-clean, and fresh fruit for breakfast every morning along with some very nice breakfasts with plenty of variety at each. They were quite accommodating; just need to ask. Loved having a balcony.

Being nosy, I peeked into some of the rooms before other guests arrived, and they each have their own character - that said; quite clearly some were more comfortable than others.

I browsed some of the other reviews, and they are often on the mark - the water view in the one room is from a certain angle, and standing up... In Pictou dining places tended to be sparse and overpriced, but there are some lovely opportunities for exploration and getting to know the area - use a tour guide to find things more efficiently, since this is a sparsely populated area. (The Sutherland Saw Mill was fascinating.)

Room Tip: The pictures are accurate - I do agree the Pebble is too small for two people. If you want cooking...
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

A friend and I booked 2 suites for 5 days at this charming B & B late in May. It was our home away from home for exploring this peaceful and friendly area of the country. The accomodation was spotless, cozy, quiet and very comfortable. I never sleep well when I travel but here I slept like a baby. The pillows were so fluffy and Gail and Michelle told me where they were purchased and the first thing I did when I got home was to replace all of ours. The breakfasts prepared by Gail were outstanding and beyond delicious. Now for the innkeepers. From the moment we arrived Gail and Michelle were so friendly, warm and down to earth we felt like we were reunited with long lost relatives. They made time to join us at the breakast table and we had the most wonderful lively conversations every single morning, so much so that I would have been just as happy to visit with them all day instead of touring around. The connection to these two wonderful ladies was so instant and strong that I actually shed quite a few tears when we were leaving. That was a first! We would recommend this B & B to everyone without hesitation. If you happen to read this review Gail and Michelle...I miss you both and think of you often.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Evening Sail B&B? Share your experiences!