“Best local cuisine” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #1 of 583 Restaurants in Halifax
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
“Best local cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I eat here regular with business meeting (private room) - the service is impeccable, the food is always amazing, and the selection of local ingredients and wild game is done so well here.

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Bridgehampton
“Just Don't Get It, Not Bad But Not Great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We read so much about Stories - rated #1 restaurant in Halifax - and as comfortable as the dining room is and as friendly as the staff seem, the food was - on average good, not "over-the-top" great. We started with a "House Duck Charcuterie" and a Salad with Lamb, both of which were good. My husband ordered more duck for dinner, the Roast Breast of Barbarie Duck and enjoyed it, I can't say the same for my Roasted Striped Bass which was certainly roasted - perhaps a bit too much, as it was dry. My sorbet dessert was a pleasure and my husband's chocolate with mango coulis was delicious. Presentations are artful as is the entire dining room. Would like to try this again when the season is on.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“Did we eat in the same restaurant?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

As we checked in I noted that the restaurant we wanted to dine in, the number 1 in Halifax was in our hotel - perfect,...we were there for two nights and were able to get reservations for our second evening - how lucky we were. Afraid not - our experience was not that of the other reviewers I am sad to say. We found the restaurant pretentious - the servers cold as was the atmosphere. As we awaited each course, we thought this one will be the one and it wasn't. Dinner was good but not great and the service left something to be desired. They were doing us a favor to seat us and we should feel honored that they allowed us to be there. We would not go back and were extremely disappointed. We felt the meal was priced on their reputation.

• Visited June 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Vancouver, Canada
“Our best meal in Maritimes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

Three weeks travelling through the Maritimes and we tried the top-rated restaurants wherever we went. Stories was our favourite. Fresh, locally sourced food, prepared flawlessly and served in a comfortable, classic setting by friendly and attentive servers. I have a great butcher at home and can grill a steak with the best of them. I tried my wife's filet, and it was the best I have ever tasted. I ordered the venison, which was also outstanding. Appetizers and desserts were equally impressive. On top of all that, we spotted one of our favourite Malbecs on the wine list for little more than we pay back home at the wine store. All in all, we had an excellent meal in a wonderful setting at a reasonable price. Couldn't ask for more.

Visited August 2013
Long Island, New York,Usa
“best restaurant in Halifax”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The ambiance, food, presentation and service were outstanding Try the scallop appetizer. After dinner you can go into the library area and relax. It was a wonderful experience. Stories is the best restaurant in Halifax and maybe the best in Nova Scotia.

Visited September 2013