“How many positive adjectives are there?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Bicycle Thief

The Bicycle Thief
1475 Lower Water Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 3Z2, Canada (Downtown Halifax)
902-425-7993
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #17 of 615 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
New Minas
“How many positive adjectives are there?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

EXCELLENT!!, EXCELLENT!!, EXCELLENT!!

The food is incredible, the staff are amazing, the atmosphere is spectacular, and the location with view are second to none. My wife and I stumbled upon The Bicycle Thief on a whim and were thoroughly surprised. Their portions were great with more than fair pricing for the quality and experience.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Halifax, Canada
“Birthday night out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a gift certificate to use up so decided to go to the Bicycle Thief.
I am pretty sure the restaurant is always busy, but this was a Saturday night 7pm reservation.
The restaurant is very full, with tables close together, so it is rather loud.not the place for a romantic or intimate dinner.
The service was great. First courses were good calamari, and the seared scallops.
We decided to share a second course, the gnocchi it was superb !
Our mains were , rack of lamb , and the sliced beef tenderloin. The lamb was very good the beef
Was cooked perfectly but I found the rub/seasoning was a bit salty for my taste.
Desserts were also excellent, the caramel cake, and the carrot cake.
I didn't find the food overpriced for the class of restaurant and comparing it to other cities.
But just realize it is not an intimate place to go.

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Halifax, Canada
“A favourite!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is my favourite restaurant. The food is delicious and the staff is very attentive. The ambiance is lovely and the view on the patio in the summer is great! Love it!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Cape breton
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

We had heard so much about this place! We were so disappointed. The room was so loud and noisy that the background music sounded like radio with static. The portions ranged from small to tiny. The carpaccio was over_dressed. My pappardelle was barely edible. My husband's lamb was good but the artfully arranged plate looked like a baby meal. My son was disappointed in the rabbit. I will say the butterscotch cake was superb and the service attentive. The experience was overpriced. We would not go back

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Singapore, Singapore
“You are 'robbing' yourself of this great dining opportunity if this ain't on your MUST-EAT list in Halifax!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

The bicycle thief wasn't my top choice for a fine dining dinner initially but after realizing it was one of the top voted restaurants by locals in Halifax, I decided to give it a shot and I never regret this decision. The seafood is fresh and cooked perfectly.

My friend and I had the Mussels for appetizers and to pay CAD 10 was a steal! Generous portion of mussels were served and the sauce cooked with it was simply delicious. For the main course, we had the 'Seafood platter' that consisted of 1/2 lobster, clams, mussels, scallops and prawns. It was the perfect choice - everything was fresh and there wasn't any fishy smell on any of the food! Our waitress recommended the Sauvignon Blanc, Craggy Range' 11 wine to accompany the seafood we had. A great choice as the wine is sweet and not too strong.

To finish up the meal, we had the carrot cake & cheese cake - excellent choice I'd say - generous portions of carrot in the carrot cake and the cake was light and fluffy. Even the cheese cake had a pinch of lemon zest fused into the cake. If their gelati are calling out to you, do not resist them, especially their peanut butter chocolate flavor. One will expect such a flavor to be heavy and strong but it turned out to be light and just the right company to go with our cake.

Service wise, it was excellent. We had our coat checked in the moment we stepped into the restaurant. Our waitress, Talia provided one of the best service one can ask for! Overall, the perfect way to end off my 1st visit to Halifax!

• Visited April 2013