“Great Staff, nice rooms” 4 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel

Save Saved
You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   20 St. Margaret's Bay Road, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 1J4, Canada   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #7 of 29 hotels in Halifax
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Staff, nice rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

We booked a double room for our trip and stayed 1 night with 4 of my best friends. We were on our way to attend a wedding in PEI. The room was very spatious and had an amazing view of the lake below. We went in August but the weather was already starting to get chilly and the water in the lake was already too cold to swim in. There were laundry facilities in the basement which was great. There was also a small indoor pool and we loved that. There is not much to do in the neighbourhood but that was okay for us because this was just a rest stop for us. The only drawback was that this hotel was pet friendly and as a result I got a number of bites from some mysterious insect that was on our bed. I think that it might have been a tick or something. Other than that I tought that the room was really fantastic.

Room Tip: I'm not sure if they differentiate between rooms that allow pets and those that do not but it mi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
ChocolateLakeHotel, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you Rainbowgem for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We are happy to hear that overall, you enjoyed your stay. We are indeed a pet friendly hotel, and we do have a strict policy as to what rooms are considered "pet friendly" and which ones are not. We have an entire section reserved for our furry guests. Unfortunately, we do have times when are non furry guests forget to tell us they will be bringing a "pet" and therefore end up occupying a room that they should not be in. We are working dilegently to let our guests know that we do no charge for pets, and we welcome them with open arms-but only in Pet Friendly quarters.
Warm Regards,

523 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed as a couple and our our adult daughter in a one bedroom suite for three nights, and found this hotel ideal for exploring Halifax and surrounds. Only a 15 minute bus trip downtown at $2.25 each way, or a 10 minute drive into the city where, at our time of the year, there was plenty of parking at $3/hr with a max for the day around $17. Our room was very quiet, clean and comfortable, with staff very friendly and helpful, so no complaints at all. We enjoyed the breakfast, wth plenty of choice and again more than enough to get us going for the day. Our daughter made full use of the gym facilities.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hello Burdekin and thank you for your comments regarding your latest stay. Our location, although not in the heart of the city, is indeed ideal. As you mentioned, the bus stop is directly out front and takes you wherever you need to be Halifax!
Thanks again, and we hope you and your family return soon.
Warm Regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

we have great lake view. the parking is very convinient. The location is good, but I am not used to the rotary 1km away. The room is clean and above average.
The breakfast is not as good as other Best-western. the juice is like water and we need waiting to get some food refilled.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Ye Z and thank you for your feedback. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I apologize for any inconvenience regarding a wait at breakfast. We know it can get a bit busy in there and we hope to reinvent our entire breakfast area in the future. We have looked into your concerns regarding the orange juice, and after a small calibration, the OJ once again tastes superb! We are looking forward to welcoming you back to Chocolate Lake.

kind Regards,
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

Our two-night stay here was fine for our purpose. The room was nicely decorated, and the bed was comfortable. We ordered chowder from room service the first night, and it was delivered promptly and was tasty. The real fast buffet had a wide variety of items, and the staff was attentive. The only problem we had was scarce parking spaces. The second night, we came in about 7:00 pm, and there was only one space available in any of the three parking areas. Othe that that, I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Timmins, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

We stay here in September and we had a bad experience. This hotel is about 10 mins drive from downtown Halifax, which is why we initially chose this hotel. We paid $120 per night and we stayed two nights. The staff at the front counter lacked customer service skills, they were very flat in their responses. We asked for corporate discount and the staff offered us a $1.00 discount, like c'mon are you serious??? The hallway to our room was freezing. The entire time the hallway AC was on in a full blast. The room was average but the bathroom had a foul smell (smelled like [--]) the entire time and it made us very uncomfortable. The vent in the bathroom was not functional at all.

The breakfast at the hotel was hot buffet (complimentary) but we had to wait in line to be seated, which was kind of weird! Before seating you, the waitress asks you few questions: your room #, last name, # of people staying in the room with you then she flips through pile of papers to find your name...by the time administrative investigation and the wait are done, you lose your appetite and oh! Not to mention, you have to wait in line to get cereal, toast your bread etc-too congested!

I would advise stay somewhere else if you want to have a good time and don't be deceived by some "CHOCOLATE" lake view-it is not that great!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Senorita R, I apologize that your stay with us was less than satisfactory. Here at Chocolate Lake, we pride ourselves on our friendly and professional customer service. It is our goal to make everyone feel comfortable and at home. I wish that we would have had an opportunity to address your concerns while you were a guest with us, but i encourage you to contact me directly should you like to discuss your stay further.

Kind Regards,
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

I frequently stay in hotels for business and have never stayed in a hotel with such a lack of privacy. I couldn't sleep as the couple in the room adjoining mine were having.. Graphic sex off and on all night and I could hear ever word etc even with my tv turned up! Guests are entitled to their privacy and I'm entitled to a good night sleep which is what I paid for. I called the desk several times they said they could only hear the tv from the hall.

With little sleep and a full day if work then a long drive to sydney, I expected the hotel to compensate me in some way. This is where the poor customer service comes in. When the front desk manager had not called by lunch I called her and she offered me a $7 rate reduction in my stay. I argued my point, that I probably should have slept in my car for a quiet night and she offered to call me back the next day if she could do anything else.

A shame with all their beautiful renovations they did not make the adjoining rooms more sound proof!

• Stayed September 2012
Good Afternoon michellecambell, I would like to apologize for your less than satisfactory stay with us. We will use this experience to better recognize how we can do better in the future.
I understand from our Guest Services Manager that she was able to "make things right" for you and that you are happy with the outcome.
I wish we could have got it right the first time for you.
We look forward to welcoming you back one day and showing you are dedication to complete guest satisfaction.

Kind Regards,

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Chocolate Lake Hotel? Share your experiences!