“Nice New Place” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dartmouth, Canada
“Nice New Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Halifax has LOTS of nice restaurants, so when someplace new opens I like to try it out. This place has it all. It is in an excellent location right on Barrington Street in the main section of the city. The decor is lovely, modern and very clean looking and bright with lots of windows. The food is excellent, with unique tastes and interesting mixes. Service was excellent with an attentive and knowledgeable server. I ordered the Haddock Fillet sandwich. It was served with bacon and lettuce, and an interesting relish. At first I felt it needed some mayo or tartar sauce, but the more I ate, the more I enjoyed the combination.

The restaurant is sort of a wine bar, and has an excellent selection of delicious sounding drinks. My wife tried the featured drink and enjoyed it very much. We look forward to going back and trying some more drinks and some other interesting food.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Halifax, Canada
“Good food, expensive wine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My friend and I checked out this place a week or so ago. The food was good; we shared the mussels (very good) to start, and then I had the mushroom burger (okay) and my friend had the buttermilk chicken (excellent). My major complaint was the pricing and size of the wine glasses. First off, the sizing is bizarre; one has a choice between a 4 oz or 8oz glass. I doubt they will sell many 4 oz, as that is way too small. A 4 0z glass ranged between $6-8, with the 8 oz double that! My 8 oz glass of wine cost more just $1 less than my entree!! In most local restaurants, glass sizing is 6 oz or 9 oz, with the 6 oz ranging from $$7-9 and 9 oz ranging from $9-11. It's a shame, because I feel that their over-priced drinks will deter potential customers. Otherwise, I feel that the service is still a little clumsy, with too many different people coming to the table interrupting the meal; yes, it's better than not enough, but they need to find the right balance there.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Nova Scotia
“Halifax's newest hot spot to dine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013 via mobile

It's easy to tell 2 Doors Down is owned by Chef Flinn of Chives, one of the best restaurants in Halifax. There's a wide selection of locally sourced items on the menu, attentive staff, and imaginative decor. We stopped in on a whim as we'd heard it was open. We were able to snag a table for two before it totally filled up. Seating is first come, first served. I started with a very nice spinach salad with candied pecans and apple. K had the mushrooms with smoked ricotta bruschetta. Great mix of flavours and textures. For our mains, K had the special which was an Irish pot pie (pie in the sky) with braised lamb shank. Very tender and served piping hot as the pot pies are made to order. I had the pork chop with asparagus and mac & cheese. The mac & cheese is breaded and flash fried, so it looks almost like a small loaf of polenta on the plate. This dish is worth it just for the mac & cheese, but the whole dish is excellent.
If you check in on Foursquare or Facebook while there and tell them, you get a very tasty chocolate chip cookie as a small reward when you finish dinner.
We truly enjoyed 2 Doors Down and will be back soon.

Visited June 2013
Corner Brook, Canada
“Good!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Visited 2 Doors Down with 4 friends this past weekend. Service seemed pretty good, drinks were served fairly quickly, even though it was very busy there. My meal was very tasty. I had the vegetarian pasta with the smoked tofu - delicious! A friend ordered the halibut and really enjoyed that as well. The Caesar salad was also very popular at my table and thoroughly enjoyed. The only complaint was that the mussels were under-cooked in a friend's meal, but other than that, excellent experience! Overall, classy, quality food at a decent price.. nice atmosphere as well. I would definitely recommend and would take my friends there!

• Visited May 2013